New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by BryanEW710
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
2,020 Posts
FWIW, when I was talking about "lighter", I meant I'd probably build a flat foamie of about the same size which *should* be lighter (without electronics) than the original plane.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Find More Posts by mejmea
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
FWIW, when I was talking about "lighter", I meant I'd probably build a flat foamie of about the same size which *should* be lighter (without electronics) than the original plane.
Ahhh, understood.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
Ahhh, understood.
My goal with this would be getting the same power and flight time, just with better motor longevity and consistency.

Is that goal possible?
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
1,826 Posts
Based on looking at amp draws for given thrust levels I believe brushless can be more efficient. So assuming same use of throttle/prop speed I'd think it could be more flight time with the AUW close.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
My goal with this would be getting the same power and flight time, just with better motor longevity and consistency.

Is that goal possible?
Interesting question. For reference, my totally subjective observation is that in straight and level flight, about 70% throttle with the brushless set up gets me about the same speed as WOT did with the brushed motor.

My experience has been that I have lower flight times - I set my flight timers about 30-45 seconds lower than I did when the planes were brushed. On the other hand, with the greater available power I tend to fly at higher power levels than I did previously because it's more fun. Thus, it's a bit of a chicken or egg question.

Ultimately I would say that you will certainly get longer motor life and if you restrain your throttle usage to comparable power levels vs. brushed you would most likely get similar flight times. None of the conversions I've done are 3D type of aircraft so I can't comment from personal experience as to how that type of flying would be affected but I tend to believe the results would be similar.

So I guess the ultimate question is "How good is your self control?"
Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
So I guess the ultimate question is "How good is your self control?"
Well, I refuse to fly my larger (3S, 38" span) foamies at any more than 70% throttle, and that includes hover-catching. I guess you can say I'm capable.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Well, I refuse to fly my larger (3S, 38" span) foamies at any more than 70% throttle, and that includes hover-catching. I guess you can say I'm capable.
Ha! Sounds like you may be a candidate for this upgrade!