HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Oct 25, 2015, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by NutraBind
RC freshman
Joined Oct 2015
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stony30 View Post
I actually tried that and it wouldn't lift off. Weird huh ? I took the straws off and it did lift off so atleast that's good.
I made a trainer out of 4 ping pong balls, bamboo skewers, hold together by a slice of cork. I put this on to the skid using small zip ties. First this was too heavy, so I gradually shortened the skewers until it was light enough but still provided enough support for by bird.
BTW, good to be here on this forum, I already found tons of useful stuff to know for my birds. I still have to catch up reading this very topic...
NutraBind is offline Find More Posts by NutraBind
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by stringrazor
Certifiable
United States, CA, Burbank
Joined Dec 2012
3,189 Posts
I guess whatever works for you is good but my experience with trying to use any kind of "trainer" gear on the SCP showed that it was largely a waste of time. What is a much better approach is to work on your Tx program. Dial out almost all of the negative pitch (leave -5% or so IF you are flying outside, it will help in the wind). Set the positive pitch very conservatively, maybe 60% less max. Also set your ELE and AIL max endpoints very conservatively and use a 30% or so expo. That kind of a gentle program will have the SCP flying like a fixed-pitch heli. As you get comfortable with it, increase the +/- pitch max and max ELE and AIL endpoints.

Learn to use throttle hold when you crash instead of slamming down the throttle stick.

I also absolutely recommend doing the servo saver mod and programming Throttle Hold to set all servos to center. The SCP was my first CP heli and I DIDN'T follow the advice I'm giving here, lol. I stripped a bunch of servos quickly but I don't think I lost any more after doing the servo saver mod. All models with rotary servos need that type of clutch arrangement, IMHO.
stringrazor is offline Find More Posts by stringrazor
Old Oct 27, 2015, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by vincent713
Keep em' high and let it fly
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2013
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringrazor View Post
I guess whatever works for you is good but my experience with trying to use any kind of "trainer" gear on the SCP showed that it was largely a waste of time. What is a much better approach is to work on your Tx program. Dial out almost all of the negative pitch (leave -5% or so IF you are flying outside, it will help in the wind). Set the positive pitch very conservatively, maybe 60% less max. Also set your ELE and AIL max endpoints very conservatively and use a 30% or so expo. That kind of a gentle program will have the SCP flying like a fixed-pitch heli. As you get comfortable with it, increase the +/- pitch max and max ELE and AIL endpoints.

Learn to use throttle hold when you crash instead of slamming down the throttle stick.

I also absolutely recommend doing the servo saver mod and programming Throttle Hold to set all servos to center. The SCP was my first CP heli and I DIDN'T follow the advice I'm giving here, lol. I stripped a bunch of servos quickly but I don't think I lost any more after doing the servo saver mod. All models with rotary servos need that type of clutch arrangement, IMHO.
+ 1
I have my SCP settings on my TX to fly as easy as my FP and also set and ready to fly all out 3D as much as the heli can handle.
vincent713 is online now Find More Posts by vincent713
Old Oct 31, 2015, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by shawzie
Joined Dec 2009
44 Posts
Anybody have a pic of where the positive throttle signal is before the fet? Thanks.
shawzie is online now Find More Posts by shawzie
Old Oct 31, 2015, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by RoboHeli
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
5,249 Posts
Dug my neglected Super CP out yesterday to take to an indoor fun-fly organized by a nearby hobby store. Boy, it's been a while since I've flown a heli with a brushed motor. It took me a while to get the feel of it and be more gentle with the collective management.

Of course, after a few flights, I did the totally noob mistake of flipping while in normal mode instead of stunt mode. As I brought the collective through negative, the throttle shut off and the poor heli banged on the gym floor upside down.

Chipped part of the mainshaft and I had to replace that little piece that holds the servos down and holds the canopy in place. I'll need to inspect the feathering shaft as well. Dumb, dumb, dumb. While it was flying, it was fun though. I had a couple of folks ask me what it was since most folks around here just know about micro heli offerings from Horizon Hobby.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member