DP SuperCub
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:47 PM
Find More Posts by jetjocchris
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2003
280 Posts
Very nice looking Cubs guys!!! Love the attention to detail in the cockpit. I have about 7 flights on my Super Cub and so far I'm loving it... I need to get my cockpit detail kit and install it now that the maiden is done...
jetjocchris is offline Find More Posts by jetjocchris
Old Dec 16, 2015, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by tclaridge
United States, VA, Clifton
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
iFlyTallies has some new goodies for Cub cockpits.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Dec 17, 2015, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2003
280 Posts
Just had another 2 excellent flights with the Cub. Still doing some minor trimming to get it dialed in just right. It was a bit cool and my fingers kept getting cold and seemed like they would not work properly so I was testing out the landing gear shocks/rubber bands pretty good. I must say the shock absorption works fantastic. I may end up replacing the rubber bands with some other type of elastic band.

One concern I have is with the Rx pack. It's a 2100 Life 2s, it's running the rx, lights and controller plus servos. I'm doing 2 (13-15 ) minute flights and when I check the Rx pack it shows about 50-60% remaining. Can anyone else comment on this and if you are getting roughly the same results??

Thanks guys..
Old Dec 17, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by greenfeet
Australia, SA, Yankalilla
Joined Jan 2008
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilPilot View Post
You could always make your own struts! I made these last weekend for my Sig 1/4 Cub.

The drawing was used throughout the project as I made the tubes for the springs.

SunDevilPilot
Nice work on the home made struts...do you have a # for the spring? There is a industrial spring manufacturer close by so getting the correct one will be easy but having a guide to what it is first will make getting the correct spring straight up easier.

I'm going to make a set for my Cub as for me to purchase a set from PR would cost $175 AUD landed.

Also last week one of the retaining nuts broke off the stock strut while rapping a new band on so I've really got to go with a more reliable system.
greenfeet is offline Find More Posts by greenfeet
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
I replaced the rubber bands with Robart O-rings CUB-012P [4 per side]. They have been great.

As for Rx battery consumption, I am flying with two 2S 480 Lipos, and I use about 100 mah per 7 minute flight. I have the Eflite lights installed. This is typical for my giant electrics. If you are consuming more, CHECK FOR SERVO BINDING.

To check for servo binding, I stall a watt meter between the Rx battery and the Rx. Then I check the movement of each servo to maximum deflection to make sure it looks good. You get a feel very quickly on how much amp draw should be used.

BTW, when checking for battery %, I never trust the little volt meters that read percent remaining. I always put the Rx battery back on the charger to see how much mah I put back in. You should be using about ~250 mah or so per 15 minute flight (electrics only).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
280 Posts
Ok thanks, I will check the Robart O-rings...

I havethe digital servos and sometimes they will buzz until they find their center but I don't think I have any binding as throws are all minimal compared to available control surface travel. But I will double check.

And yes I always put my battery on the charger to get an idea of the remaining %.

One other question, where can I get the wing strut keeper pins and cotter pins???

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I replaced the rubber bands with Robart O-rings CUB-012P [4 per side]. They have been great.

As for Rx battery consumption, I am flying with two 2S 480 Lipos, and I use about 100 mah per 7 minute flight. I have the Eflite lights installed. This is typical for my giant electrics. If you are consuming more, CHECK FOR SERVO BINDING.

To check for servo binding, I stall a watt meter between the Rx battery and the Rx. Then I check the movement of each servo to maximum deflection to make sure it looks good. You get a feel very quickly on how much amp draw should be used.

BTW, when checking for battery %, I never trust the little volt meters that read percent remaining. I always put the Rx battery back on the charger to see how much mah I put back in. You should be using about ~250 mah or so per 15 minute flight (electrics only).
Old Dec 18, 2015, 03:10 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,542 Posts
I bought a pack of these for my flight box. I have fat thumbs, and you cant find these if you drop them in the grass. I use the digital servos too, and I haven't found them to pull more amps, they just have more power.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/wing-str...eepers-han4563
Old Dec 18, 2015, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2003
280 Posts
Perfect!! Order placed... thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I bought a pack of these for my flight box. I have fat thumbs, and you cant find these if you drop them in the grass. I use the digital servos too, and I haven't found them to pull more amps, they just have more power.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/wing-str...eepers-han4563
Old Dec 18, 2015, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,824 Posts
Yep, a few spares of those are nice to have. They are the same ones used for a couple models I have and I was always swapping them around depending on what I was flying until Craig Greening told me they stock them as a set. Trust me, I searched everywhere trying to find close or identical clevis pins (the cotter pins are easy, the car guys use them)
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfeet View Post
Nice work on the home made struts...do you have a # for the spring? There is a industrial spring manufacturer close by so getting the correct one will be easy but having a guide to what it is first will make getting the correct spring straight up easier.

I'm going to make a set for my Cub as for me to purchase a set from PR would cost $175 AUD landed.

Also last week one of the retaining nuts broke off the stock strut while rapping a new band on so I've really got to go with a more reliable system.
The springs were purchased. My brain is good at mechanically creating something but not really good at calculating anything with math. Because of my shortcomings I had to do some experimenting with different springs until I found the correct set. McMasters Carr has a really good system for purchasing springs. Two sets were ordered from them but ended up being too light. The final, and correct set of springs came from Amazon.com. Here are the specs:

Music Wire Compression Spring, Steel, Inch, 0.48" OD, 0.072" Wire Size, 1.659" Compressed Length, 2.5" Free Length, 32.48 lbs Load Capacity, 38.6 lbs/in Spring Rate (Pack of 10)

My plane is a 1/4 scale and weighs about 18 to 19 lbs ready to fly. Your mileage may vary.

I believe the geometry of the Cub gear gives about a 2:1 advantage, if not more, to the movement of the gear vs the elongation of the struts. I think this is why I needed such heavy springs. They in no way feel stiff on the plane once everything is mounted. I have more / smoother movement than it did with the o-ring / rubber band setup.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Dec 20, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by greenfeet
Australia, SA, Yankalilla
Joined Jan 2008
163 Posts
Thanks SunDevilPilot, that spring info is gold.

My 1/4 scale cub comes in around the same weight as yours rtf.
greenfeet is offline Find More Posts by greenfeet
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2008
915 Posts
No problem GreenFeet.

I looked all over and could not find any information on what springs to use. Closest I could find was a thread where another builder was making a comparable plane, but slightly different gear. Only took three tries. Now I have some extra springs to use in the future.

SunDevilPilot
SunDevilPilot is offline Find More Posts by SunDevilPilot
Old Jan 26, 2016, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by marksp
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,910 Posts
Ep -> gp

After 3 years with an electric setup, decided to make the switch to gas. Now running VVRC40 w/Xoar 20x8. Wow...promises to be another fun fly season

marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Jan 26, 2016, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by mewert
Team Armattan
College Place, WA.
Joined Apr 2004
1,429 Posts
Way to go, Mark. Your going to enjoy it for sure.
mewert is offline Find More Posts by mewert