New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2015, 03:30 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
12,667 Posts
I know this is a thread about the ORANGE 3 axis stabiliser .............. but has anyone seen the HOBBY EAGLE A3 Stabiliser with Auto Levelling / Auto Hover ... Banggood are selling them out at $26.99 and free shipping.
Includes full PC connectivity and cables ...

Just ordered a couple to see what they do.

http://www.banggood.com/Hobby-Eagle-...-p-991417.html

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2015, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,230 Posts
Nigel,

I'm glad you mentioned and linked that 3 axis gyro, from what I've read so far- I LIKE IT.
In fact that is gunna be on my next BangGood order. - Good work - thanks!

I'll have to look for (unless someone knows of any) some RCGroups threads or reviews about the
"Hobby Eagle A3 Super II 6 Axis Programmable Airplane Gyro w/ Auto-Recovery Stabilizer" AU$37.83

-Cheers - B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
12,667 Posts
I did start a thread on it ... but no posts replied yet .. but once I get mine and check it out ... will be back there with it ...

I still like my Orange ... now that I found a way to not have to prise the case apart to reflash it. I ruined 2 units by prising the board out ...

I now have the Thunder P1 ... Orange in use ... Orange is the better of the two ... but they both work. Will be interesting comparing the Hobby Eagle.

For anyone looking at these .. be careful ... the Eagle has more than a couple of versions ... only two are really of interest ... the above and one that also has the Field Programming Box included ... at about $46 all in.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 08, 2015, 11:25 PM
Find More Posts by SkySurferG
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
35 Posts
Won't Come out of RX and IMU Calibrating

Hi,

I'm about to give up on Open Stab and my RX3s. I had it working OK on one model but I've now switched to using a Taranis from an Er9x on a Turnigy 9x. I have the Taranis set up as per the Flight Stab guide on google docs but I cannot get the RX3s to consistently start up correctly. It is correctly giving 2 long LED flashes indicating it is set up OK for a standard 4 channel plane - but then give the 3 short LED flashes indicating it is still calibrating although it goes through the 'waggle' indicating it is active. From what I can tell the start up sequence for my ESC ( a 60A Hobbywing Pentium) and the startup sequence for the RX3s interfere with each other. The models appears to operate OK with the RX3s switched off from the transmitter - just gives 2 long flashes - but as soon as I switch on rate mode or hold mode I get the 3 short flashes.

Any help appreciated.
SkySurferG is offline Find More Posts by SkySurferG
Old Dec 09, 2015, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by JohnRB
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
1,201 Posts
The proper place for this question would be the Open Flightstab forum, this forum is for the OrangeRX RX3S with factory firmware. I will answer here but any further questions should be directed to the Open Flightstab forum.

Is if possible that there are 4 short flashes instead of 3?
If there are 4 then when you switch of the stabilizer you are in HOLD mode and not rate mode.

It is easy to see what the Taranis is transmitting for the Mode/Gain value by doing the following:

With the proper model selected and displayed on the Taranis screen short press MENU key and then press the PAGE key 6 times. This will bring up the OUTPUTS screen.

Use the +/- keys to highlight the channel you are using for the gain control. The numbers just behind OUTPUTS on the first line will show the pulse width (in microseconds) being sent by this channel.

Move your gain control to the position that enables the RX3S stabilization and look at the microsecond readout. If it displays a value greater than 1575us then you are turning on HOLD mode on the RX3S and there will be 4 short flashes after just after the wing mode flashes.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySurferG View Post
Hi,

I'm about to give up on Open Stab and my RX3s. I had it working OK on one model but I've now switched to using a Taranis from an Er9x on a Turnigy 9x. I have the Taranis set up as per the Flight Stab guide on google docs but I cannot get the RX3s to consistently start up correctly. It is correctly giving 2 long LED flashes indicating it is set up OK for a standard 4 channel plane - but then give the 3 short LED flashes indicating it is still calibrating although it goes through the 'waggle' indicating it is active. From what I can tell the start up sequence for my ESC ( a 60A Hobbywing Pentium) and the startup sequence for the RX3s interfere with each other. The models appears to operate OK with the RX3s switched off from the transmitter - just gives 2 long flashes - but as soon as I switch on rate mode or hold mode I get the 3 short flashes.

Any help appreciated.
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Dec 09, 2015, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by Garo9
Lifelong Flyboy
United States, GA, Sandy Springs
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
RX3S - not worth the money

The device itself may be sound but maybe someone can explain to me why someone who sells the device doesn't have a complete set of instructions as to the functions and functionality in order to make it work for its intended purpose. There are three LEDs in the device, yet the "instruction manual" only references two and doesn't even note what the different states of either are when powered up. Their online chat folks were no better informed, but did a great job of chewing up about 45 minutes of time across two session. But it doesn't stop with the LED good luck trying to work out the L/R ail issue or the remote activation of the gyro function. This hobby takes a significant time commitment, but idiots like HK make one pause to ask, why do I bother.
Garo9 is offline Find More Posts by Garo9
Old Dec 10, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by rosnik
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
404 Posts
I'm not tottally in accord,
Sure the "open stab Firmware" get the plus you req. .
All for free.
This getting you one TOP Gyro from this basic firmware rx3S .
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Dec 10, 2015, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by necbot
Joined Aug 2015
57 Posts
I was thinking of getting one of these transmitters for build I'm doing...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...CH_2_4Ghz.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Control.html

My questions are...

One says I can "adjust the stabilization gain from my transmitter" but the other says I can "turn the gain ON/OFF" from my transmitter. What does this mean? The wording seems to suggest I can do more fine tuning on one, while the other I can only switch it on and off.

How much stabilization does this offer? Is is similar to SAFE (sensor assisted flight envelope)?
necbot is offline Find More Posts by necbot
Old Dec 11, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by mdmyers
Joined Apr 2007
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by necbot View Post
I was thinking of getting one of these transmitters for build I'm doing...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...CH_2_4Ghz.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...n_Control.html

My questions are...

One says I can "adjust the stabilization gain from my transmitter" but the other says I can "turn the gain ON/OFF" from my transmitter. What does this mean? The wording seems to suggest I can do more fine tuning on one, while the other I can only switch it on and off.

How much stabilization does this offer? Is is similar to SAFE (sensor assisted flight envelope)?
#1 - I believe both sets of words really mean that you can simply turn the gain on and off remotely. As far as I know the stock HK firmware does not allow actual adjustment of the gain beyond that.

#2 - I would not compare these to SAFE at all really. These stabilizers will help damp out uncommanded movements in the three flight axes caused by gusty wind for example. This expands the conditions you can fly in a bit and makes the plane fly a little "bigger" than it actually is. SAFE technology limits the flight envelope in terms of bank, yaw and pitch angles allowed and has a recovery mode that will put you back into an upright and level position with the press of a button. The orange stabilizers have no such features and should really be compared to the AS3X stabilization that often is also present in a SAFE equipped plane. They compare favorably to that in my opinion and even more so if the firmware is upgraded to the great open source alternative discussed here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672
mdmyers is offline Find More Posts by mdmyers
Old Dec 11, 2015, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by necbot
Joined Aug 2015
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmyers View Post
#1 - I believe both sets of words really mean that you can simply turn the gain on and off remotely. As far as I know the stock HK firmware does not allow actual adjustment of the gain beyond that.

#2 - I would not compare these to SAFE at all really. These stabilizers will help damp out uncommanded movements in the three flight axes caused by gusty wind for example. This expands the conditions you can fly in a bit and makes the plane fly a little "bigger" than it actually is. SAFE technology limits the flight envelope in terms of bank, yaw and pitch angles allowed and has a recovery mode that will put you back into an upright and level position with the press of a button. The orange stabilizers have no such features and should really be compared to the AS3X stabilization that often is also present in a SAFE equipped plane. They compare favorably to that in my opinion and even more so if the firmware is upgraded to the great open source alternative discussed here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672
Thanks for the info. I'll probably just go with the 6-channel one then. It's cheaper and weighs a few grams less than the 4-channel.

For this build I don't need anything like SAFE. But I have been on the lookout for a micro-receiver that has some thing similar to SAFE. So far the only thing I've seen is the Hobby Eagle A3 that solentlife posted a link to at the top of this page.

Regarding the link you posted to that open source firmware... What are the advantages of that firmware over the stock one?
necbot is offline Find More Posts by necbot
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by mdmyers
Joined Apr 2007
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by necbot View Post
Regarding the link you posted to that open source firmware... What are the advantages of that firmware over the stock one?
Below is a list of the features from the documentation file linked to in the first post of that thread. The features of most interest to me were the remote master gain control (linear from 0-100%, not just on/off), the ability to separate the aileron channels to get flaperons (with a little hardware modification, check on support for your particular device) and easier per channel gain adjustment (oem device adjustment tends to be concentrated in a very small range of pot movement). I also flew with both the OEM code as well as the OFS code on the same RX and plane and felt the OFS simply worked a bit better as far as stabilization and stick response. You can certainly try the device as OEM and then try OFS later if you want.

Key Features
  • 3-axis gyro-based stabilization.
  • Two stabilization modes - “RATE” and “Attitude HOLD”
  • PID values are adjustable with a supported programing box
    (AQUASTAR or dlux programming box)
  • Remote On/Off and Master Gain Control using the AUX1 channel
  • AUX1 channel controls master gain linearly from 0% to 100%
  • AUX1 channel also controls RATE and HOLD modes
  • DIP switches on RX3S or Programming Box control the mix mode.
  • Fixed WING mode mixing
    • Single aileron
    • Two servo ailerons (enables you to use flaperons).
  • DELTA mode mixing.
  • VTAIL mode mixing.
  • Support for Spektrum Serial and S.BUS (RX3SM not supported).
  • CPPM mode (RX3SM not supported).
  • Throttle and flap channels pass through in CPPM mode
  • Configurable mixer limits to prevent servo binding.
  • Stick-based configuration or Programming Box (for changing from default options)
  • EEPROM storage for configurations (can be reset through jumpers on bootup)
  • LED flashes for status and visual error feedback.
  • Device calibration during startup to determine neutral stick positions.
  • IMU calibration during startup to remove sensor offsets.
  • VRs on RX3S control axis gain and direction.
  • VR POT gain value can be overridden using the programing box.
  • Stick-controlled rotation RATE in HOLD mode, optional in RATE mode.
  • Option for Inflight RX calibration to reset RX neutral values.
  • Stick position controls gain, which prevents overcorrection or "fighting" commanded stick movement during manoeuvres.
  • Device can also be mounted sideways on the fuselage (i.e. flat fuselage foamies) by rolling 90° left or 90° right and then mounting to the fuselage side.
  • Optional AVRootloader to allow firmware update without usbasp ISP.
  • Use pre-compiled firmware or compile your own version from the source code.
mdmyers is offline Find More Posts by mdmyers
Old Feb 07, 2016, 04:08 AM
Find More Posts by Braddock, VC
dover, kent, UK
Joined Apr 2003
456 Posts
subscribed
Braddock, VC is offline Find More Posts by Braddock, VC