Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:26 AM
Find More Posts by robster94gt
Joined Oct 2003
928 Posts
That flies great! I need to do something like this, since my stock motor gave up the ghost. Is there any way to just upgrade to a different brushed motor? I was hoping to just do a motor swap.

Cheers,
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2015, 09:20 AM
Find More Posts by Blaze0021
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Apr 2015
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
Thanks Blaze. I'm not sure I broke any barriers but I am having fun!
The only reason why I say that is because I see a lot of posts with people attempting 1S Brushless Conversions with lackluster results.. this topic appeared to be something of a challenge to many, as I peruse the ultra micro threads regularly. Your Spitfire is the first Ultra Micro 1S Brushless Plane that I've seen that not only works, but flies excellent. I assume that this format of a 1S Brushless Conversion can be duplicated on other Ultra Micro Planes. So great job!!!
Blaze0021 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze0021
Old Dec 16, 2015, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by mejmea
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
That flies great! I need to do something like this, since my stock motor gave up the ghost. Is there any way to just upgrade to a different brushed motor? I was hoping to just do a motor swap.

Cheers,
Rob
Thanks Rob!

I know that people have substituted different brushed motors but I'm not an expert on what they have used nor how it may compare to what I did. I haven't read this entire thread but suspect some of that information could be here so I would search this thread for starters (if you haven't already)

Another thing that will affect performance is the prop and pinion of course. I've got some data relative to that in my blog if you are interested.

Finally, the Eflite 1s 150mAh, 45C batteries are noticeably better than the 25C versions so either way you go I would give some of them a shot if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021 View Post
The only reason why I say that is because I see a lot of posts with people attempting 1S Brushless Conversions with lackluster results.. this topic appeared to be something of a challenge to many, as I peruse the ultra micro threads regularly. Your Spitfire is the first Ultra Micro 1S Brushless Plane that I've seen that not only works, but flies excellent. I assume that this format of a 1S Brushless Conversion can be duplicated on other Ultra Micro Planes. So great job!!!
Thanks again Blaze. Yes, I have converted my original style UMX P-51 (made it AS3x in addition to brushless), and UMX P-40 this same way and they both fly well too (although the P-40 is not going to compare to your 2s conversion ). I also converted my UMX Mosquito to AS3x/1s brushless and it's a very nice flyer too - not quite as aerobatic as the fighters (which is probably realistic) but much better than the stock brushed version. I've got a second Mosquito that I think I'm going to try a 2s conversion on just for fun as I've got some spare motors and bricks laying around.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Last edited by mejmea; Dec 16, 2015 at 04:49 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by Henrik e
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Aarhus
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
New to warbirds

Hi guys, after reading the first about 100 pages, I went all over the internet en search of a spitfire. Of cause out of stock, but being on holliday in France for the christmas, I found one RTF in mode 1...from af french hobbystore. Here it is, canīt wait to fly it.
Name: spitfire1.jpg
Views: 17
Size: 254.7 KB
Description: Just new in the box
But since it is kind of a relic, I bought the Corsair as well. What at nice bird, the corsair. Flew first time yesterday, never flown a Warbird before, still learning with the SCS in intermediate and advanced mode.
Started 1 year ago with the Ares Gamma 370, crashed very mildly on the first fligt, despite having prepared and seen/read alot, tried 2nd time, got caugt in the crosswind, and broke the prop, nothing serious. (and I later found out, the rudder wasenīt neutral, so it took the turn directly into the gound after 5-8 seconds) But anyway, found out about the champ, at that is really a champ to be learning from.
As always it starts out, with one plane, and a wish to get perhaps 2-3 more........especially a warbird. Now flying the SCS, and Ares 370 upgaded to brushless and 4 ch, and it is really a docile flier, and robust. I fly from the beach, since it is the only streech without trees. But step learing curve here, I take of from the "hard sand" and has to land there as well. So big weels is a great advantage.
Anyway, been reading about the short life of the stock brushed motors, so I am planning to buy at small stock og replacements. The question now, which to choose. The SX from NE or the ones from http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15-9t . Iīm not really sure which fits the "easiest". What do you say. PS im not a soldering expert, but learning now, starting with the change of connectors from poor Tamiya to XT on the S2 and S3 batteries for the Ares.
Name: 3 planes.jpg
Views: 18
Size: 308.7 KB
Description:
There was at 30% x-mas sale so I ended up buying 3 planes, the spit was only 80 euro. as a RTF, I have a spectrum dx6i so donīt need or ever will try the stock Tx. And I fly in mode 2.

Now training with the Corsair, and later the spit, and then advance to the p47.

Regards
Henrik
Henrik e is offline Find More Posts by Henrik e
Old Dec 31, 2015, 06:05 AM
Find More Posts by ghost123uk
United Kingdom, England, Malpas
Joined Mar 2011
47 Posts
I wonder why they stopped producing them

Mine is still flying well after many dozens of flights with no damage (yet !!!)
ghost123uk is offline Find More Posts by ghost123uk
Old Dec 31, 2015, 08:19 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik e View Post
Hi guys, after reading the first about 100 pages, I went all over the internet en search of a spitfire. Of cause out of stock, but being on holliday in France for the christmas, I found one RTF in mode 1...from af french hobbystore. Here it is, canīt wait to fly it.
Attachment 8557575
But since it is kind of a relic, I bought the Corsair as well. What at nice bird, the corsair. Flew first time yesterday, never flown a Warbird before, still learning with the SCS in intermediate and advanced mode.
Started 1 year ago with the Ares Gamma 370, crashed very mildly on the first fligt, despite having prepared and seen/read alot, tried 2nd time, got caugt in the crosswind, and broke the prop, nothing serious. (and I later found out, the rudder wasenīt neutral, so it took the turn directly into the gound after 5-8 seconds) But anyway, found out about the champ, at that is really a champ to be learning from.
As always it starts out, with one plane, and a wish to get perhaps 2-3 more........especially a warbird. Now flying the SCS, and Ares 370 upgaded to brushless and 4 ch, and it is really a docile flier, and robust. I fly from the beach, since it is the only streech without trees. But step learing curve here, I take of from the "hard sand" and has to land there as well. So big weels is a great advantage.
Anyway, been reading about the short life of the stock brushed motors, so I am planning to buy at small stock og replacements. The question now, which to choose. The SX from NE or the ones from http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/products/cl-0820-15-9t . Iīm not really sure which fits the "easiest". What do you say. PS im not a soldering expert, but learning now, starting with the change of connectors from poor Tamiya to XT on the S2 and S3 batteries for the Ares.
Attachment 8557576
There was at 30% x-mas sale so I ended up buying 3 planes, the spit was only 80 euro. as a RTF, I have a spectrum dx6i so donīt need or ever will try the stock Tx. And I fly in mode 2.

Now training with the Corsair, and later the spit, and then advance to the p47.

Regards
Henrik
Nice fleet!

I can't offer comment on which brushed replacement motor would be better as I converted my Spitfire to brushless. I can, however, suggest that you consider trying the Corsair prop (112x90 3 blade) on the Spitfire). I think it flies a bit better than the stock prop although it's somewhat personal preference no doubt. There is some prop/pinion data in my blog in case it is helpful.

You will find that the P-47 is a very nice plane that flies well both slow and fast. There is a thread for it here. One thing to be aware of with it is that some of them seem to have decalage issues (the horizontal stabilizer isn't aligned properly with the wing) and want to climb like a homesick angel as a result. You won't really know until you try yours but just don't mistake it for being tail heavy because that's not really the issue. There are a number of posts on this issue in the above thread. For the most part people have been able to overcome the problem by trimming the elevator down (first electronically and then subsequently mechanically after you figure out how much you need). Mine had a pretty significant issue so I fixed it in a different way as shown in this post.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 08:22 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost123uk View Post
I wonder why they stopped producing them

Mine is still flying well after many dozens of flights with no damage (yet !!!)

+1 - I think the Spit flies the best of any of the 1s micros! Well, at least of the ones that I have (P-40, 1st gen P-51, Mosquito)....
Old Dec 31, 2015, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by K5083
Flying casual
United States, NY, Scarsdale
Joined Oct 2013
901 Posts
I agree, it was nice flying and the best looking, although that is pretty much a given with a Spitfire. I totaled my first one learning to fly warbirds before I got a decent Tx, and next year I'll be pulling my other one out of the box for a lot of flying. I wish I didn't have to treat it with kid gloves knowing it is irreplaceable. Luckily, the various pieces are still available and you can get all the foam for $60 and even upgrade the internals for less total cost than the original.

August
K5083 is offline Find More Posts by K5083
Old Dec 31, 2015, 09:51 AM
Joined Apr 2015
3,717 Posts
I replaced my Parkzone Ultra Micro Spitfire's stock motor with a HZ Sport Cub S Motor (HBZ4429) when the stocker gave out. Makes for a speedy 1S plane. This and my Parkzone Ultra Micro P-51D Mustang are all that's left of my 1S Brushed Planes as all the others have been converted to 2S Brushless. But for a 1S Brushed Plane, the Parkzone Ultra Micro Spitfire Mk IX is a great flyer:

Parkzone UM Spitfire Mk IX with Sport Cub S Motor 1st Flight - A New Heart (6 min 49 sec)

My 2S Brushless Conversion Fleet:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...BiE4PRLlaB4A7V
Last edited by Blaze0021; Dec 31, 2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:12 PM
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
I'm very pleased and with my experiencelevel quite challenged with the stock motors and speed. I've read about the issue with the p47 decals, but also the great satisfaction, I think it will be the perfect beachflyer, Good enough in windy conditions, but small enough to no scare other people walking along the beach. The Corsair is great, will bring it back to Danmark and practice so I'll be ready for the p47 and spit by easter. Atleast I hope.
Why HH stopped making the spit, is a riddle to most I surpose. HH could sell a high number of units each year if they keept it. Is the future a S2 version.

Regards
Henrik
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by JSS4
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
+1 - I think the Spit flies the best of any of the 1s micros! Well, at least of the ones that I have (P-40, 1st gen P-51, Mosquito)....
I would say I like the new Corsair the best, though that may be in part to my spitfire looking like Frankenstein
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:27 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
I would say I like the new Corsair the best, though that may be in part to my spitfire looking like Frankenstein
Ha! I haven't tried the Corsair, might be time to look for one. My brother had the original, non-as3x version and it flew like crap so it's good to hear that they improved that.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2015
4 Posts
Blaze, really amazing conversions, and power appears to be more og less infiniate. Perhaps I will go down that road when experience mirror the ned for perfomance and skills.
Happy newyear

Henrik
Old Dec 31, 2015, 03:48 PM
Joined Apr 2015
3,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik e View Post
Blaze, really amazing conversions, and power appears to be more og less infiniate. Perhaps I will go down that road when experience mirror the ned for perfomance and skills.
Happy newyear

Henrik
Thanks Henrike! Happy New Years to you as well!!!
Old Feb 14, 2016, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by nagas
Call me Naga, it is my name!
Joined Nov 2014
1,573 Posts
Well, I am in!

I bought my Spitfire today from eBay. NIB, an unwanted present (probably Xmas pressy), I got it for a reall good price. Private seller with 100% +ve feedback.

I suspect this will be the first of a series of Spitfires. A late friend of mine flew them in the Battle of Britain, when I was looking at WWII aircraft, it had to be the Spitfire.

I also like the Great Planes Spitfire, also discontinued. That baby is a bit of a different bird to this, a rather large balsa capable of going at ridiculous speeds that would be impossible to fly in my local park.

So cannot wait to get her in the air.
nagas is offline Find More Posts by nagas