New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2015, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
Discussion
Sig Riser 2 meter

I been flying helis over three years and now time to add gliders to list of things to fly. Bought T-tail at RC swap meet and made me want to fly Gliders. T-Tail looks cool but first couple test flights broke rear section.
I have a couple full house two meter but save them for lader. Hobby shop has Riser two meter. Simple but get ball rolling. They had G/P Spirit but box weighed a ton. Riser is not as fancy but box wieighed muck less.
I always liked Gliders but never got into them much at all.
I just wondered how the Riser flew. Most Sig stuff has been good. I build several UC ships/ also a few FF Sig kits. Even built and flew two Sig Magnum UC stunt planes with ST V60's.
The Riser was very reasonable priced. I have G/P Vista ARF and build that also[assemble].
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
848 Posts
My Sig Riser

The Sig Riser is a fine Woodie to build. I'm assuming you got a real stick wood kit. From building Sig FF kits, you know their instruction books are very complete. The picture shows mine. I used Transparent Ultracote on the wings and tail to show the structure. That's in the best Woodie tradition. One of the best things about kits is customizing the covering. You also know you put glue everywhere it's supposed to be. If you don't mind some drying time you can use acrylic carpenter's glue.

My Riser weighs 33 ounces with nose weight and radio gear.
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
Old Aug 26, 2015, 01:33 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
Thank you for input. your Riser looks fine. I use all kinds of glue Sigment/ Wilhold/ca/ epoxy etc. I have many rolls of monocote but not much transparent. That what i like for wings/ tail etc. Bought the kit as price was fine. i don't know how they can sell it for under $50.00. guess time to clear building board.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 02:39 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
I went through the kit and happy to see all hardware is there. amazing how complete this is. Lots of stick also. I wonder if Riser 100 is same plane just with bigger wing ? wonder oif there is a wing kit ? Riser 100 kit is priced well also.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by chawkins
PBR Sailplane
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Jul 2012
376 Posts
The Riser 100 has a different airfoil and bigger always flyies better. I have several of both, Been primarily a Riser guy since 1987. A few suggestions on the riser I would offer is remove the balance portion of the rudder, make the hinge line stright. I also put the leading edge sheeting all the way up to the spar on both bottom and top, this requires you to purchase some 1/16th sheets if you dont already have them. You will definately want spoilers.
The instructions are great, and the plane flys great stock. You'll enjoy the build and flying>
chawkins is offline Find More Posts by chawkins
Last edited by chawkins; Aug 26, 2015 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Added Photo
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:48 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
I noticed kit had plans for spoilers. I have alot of Spectrum RX's. Friend uses 72 mhz. I have a new unsed Hi-Tech 6 ch Lazer radio complete set.
I used a couple of the servos in T-tail but have others. TX battery is toast but Aloft has same type battery. Plus have several Hi-tech RX's. The think I like is mix switchs are there. Plus use a radio that was not used while being new. I bought this years ago and then came 2.4.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 01:30 AM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
849 Posts
I am in the process of building a Riser 2 meter now. And I have the Riser 100 kit also to build later on. Always want to try the Riser. But since I am a heavy weight dude, I will be using electric motors in mine.
Alienmenacet54 is offline Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
Old Aug 27, 2015, 10:17 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
Good luck with your build. Plans and instructions are first rate in my book. I never had issue with Sig kits. I am assembling G/P Vista to get in air soon. Riser will be next.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 01:15 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
I just assembled G/P Vista just to get flying. Happy with it as everything fit well and smooth sailing. The Riser will be next project. I have concern about main spar. the Vista brace is very stout. Two pieces of aluminum with wood core. I most likely going to get Horsemonster bungie.
Maybe laminate spare with carbon veil and add another plywwod brace also. gladd middle section. I guess sheeted L/E helps alot also.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:09 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
Vista flew very well. I picked up a Krestel kit also. So Riser and Krestel kits to build..oh ..my.
Last edited by dankar04; Aug 29, 2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:37 AM
Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins View Post
A few suggestions on the riser I would offer is remove the balance portion of the rudder, make the hinge line stright. I also put the leading edge sheeting all the way up to the spar on both bottom and top, this requires you to purchase some 1/16th sheets if you dont already have them. You will definately want spoilers.
The instructions are great, and the plane flys great stock. You'll enjoy the build and flying>
I absolutely agree with removing the balance portion of the rudder and making the hinge line straight.
I don't agree with the sheeting.
The 100 wing has an Eppler 205 airfoil. There is a good reason why the designer used turbulator strips instead of sheeting from the leading edge to the spar. These old airfoils had a low speed drag problem. A bubble formed just behind the upper leading edge at low speed. This caused a great deal of drag at low speed. The turbulator strips break up this bubble and reduce the drag.
In this case, sheeting will actually reduce the performance of the glider.
Trust that the designer knew what he was doing when he included the turbulator strips instead of sheeting.

It's not obvious but the 2 meter wing also has a turbulator. The leading edge consists of an upper and lower balsa strip glued to form the leading edge. The back edge of the upper strip is a turbulator point.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Last edited by John Gallagher; Aug 31, 2015 at 08:43 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by gliderr2
United States, FL, Pensacola
Joined Jul 2006
115 Posts
Kestrel

The Kestrel is a great flyer also but I would do away with the clips that hold the wing in place and use 4 screws into blocks.Good luck on the builds .Buddy
gliderr2 is offline Find More Posts by gliderr2
Old Aug 31, 2015, 09:37 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
My plan is to build both Krestel and Riser. Both will get spoilers. I got both kits for under $100.00. Radio gear/ glue/ covering etc. some hardware and misc stuff. I'm not looking for world class greatness just some good flying gliders. These two will give me Six two metter birds.
I have T-tail found out is challanger from days gone by. Plus G/P Vista.
Anyway these two are now flying. I have Multi-plex Lucky a 4 servo bird V-tail. This need repair to one of elevons. New in Box Ka8 Scale bird 2.25 meter.
I would like a three meter bird also. Bird Of Time kit not ARF. The Lucky just need control horn reglued. Plus mount servos for V-tail. Ka8 will sit it out for a spell. I also have Zupair Zulu EPO for slope. Lader on this. today going to seek some cryastals for my Hi-Tech Lazer 6 ch 72 mhz. ch 40. I really like this radio,. Its new but old.
Old Sep 03, 2015, 10:36 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
I have one more 72 mhz RX works great. Plus a AR6210 RX with satelite.
My T-Tail has OR 6ch with satelite DSM-2 works fine. My vista has Hi-Tech 7 ch 72 mhz and works great. Point have all servos/ rx's for both Riser and Krestal. Need a few new RX batteries. Aloft here we go again.
For now give me two R/E birds and two RES birds.
Old Sep 03, 2015, 01:42 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
With help from guy on forum found e-bay seller of crystal I need for D/c ch 40. I may build both this and Krestel at same time. That will take care of two meter birds for a long time. With crstals give me three more RX's to use. Riser is more simple then Krestel and might be done first. Plus may not use spoilers. Not sure right now see how it goes. build wings last.