HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Regarding a roll-around workbench, I wouldn't have one unless it could be made very stationary. Heavy and hard to move makes a better work surface for woodworking.
+1!

Stability is a huge plus in wood working benches. I have a 46" X 76" 2" hard maple top workbench that is on the long-side of 200 lbs. (closer to 300 lbs). Its on locking 6" heavy-duty casters. I built it myself and its been in service for twenty-five years now. I ended-up jacking it up off the floor making four posts for it because even with the brakes on, it would move just a tad with the slightest nudge.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1 View Post
Its on locking 6" heavy-duty casters. I built it myself and its been in service for twenty-five years now. I ended-up jacking it up off the floor making four posts for it because even with the brakes on, it would move just a tad with the slightest nudge.EJWash
What about using round weights, perhaps coated in rubber, to sit on the floor and rest the casters on top of each (ie - not touching the ground)? I need the table to be mobile due to the narrow space but, as you said, immovable when in position to build.
yarsmythejr is offline Find More Posts by yarsmythejr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:24 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,068 Posts
Yarsmythejr,

The problem I was having was with the casters, well, "castering" - rotating about themselves.

I think I'm envisioning what you're getting at, but you would still have to lift the bench in order to place the weights (as in barbell weights?) to place them underneath the casters. That would certainly reduce the casters rotating, but there's a little more to the situation. What you're going for here in stability is minimum shock, or "bounce" of your workbench. The more surface of the bench in contact with the floor means less shock, resistance, and flex. In model building this is not a biggy. In woodworking where you may be delivering hammer or mallet blows in chiseling or assembly, it is. If the primary intent of your workbench is pretty much for model building, a bench with casters is fine. Not so much if your plan to chisel your creations from solid stock. Keeping your bench stationary would be fine using a high quality (i.e.: NO plastic in the mechanism) locking casters.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:59 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,595 Posts
FWIW here is the bench I built for myself. I had the materials on had except for the working surface, a couple of 2X4's and some of the fasteners.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/%20for%20u...m.htm#10746448

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kenh3497; Sep 29, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,272 Posts
Something as simple as driving wooden wedges underneath the legs (to raise the bench off the casters) could work.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Progress made in the workshop. Doors widened and windows added.
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349363555.182009.jpg
Views: 136
Size: 192.5 KB
Description:
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349363576.655699.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 184.6 KB
Description:
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:46 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Hmmm...just noticed the location for the attic door. Need to make sure I get them to build it so the ladder goes TOWARD the door and not into the room. That would suck since it would keep me from adding shelves on the wall and a table against the wall.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,595 Posts
Looking good so far!! I'll bet you're getting antsy to get it completed.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:59 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Good news: Walls going up!

Bad news: I noticed they ran hot water lines to the utility sink in my workshop. They told me they wouldn't so I was pretty happy to see that. However, when I was walking through the garage with the construction manager and said "Thank you" for the water lines....he then told me: "they'll probably pull those out next week.".

WHAT!!?? I was dumbfounded. I called my real estate agent and left her a message asking for her to try to work something out with the builder. I mean, c'mon people. Your plumber ran two lines AT THE SAME TIME to the sink and now you want to go back and pull one out 'cause I didn't pay for it BEFORE the prestart meeting? <shaking my head>

I'll let you know what happens. Cross your fingers for me.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:06 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,595 Posts
You've seen how the line is run. If they pull it out go to the local home improvement store and buy a chunk of line and run it your self. Tell the builder it is for "future use sometime down the road just in case"

Or just make a deal with the plumber and pay him directly to leave it in place.

Don't ya just love contractors...

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Start of a new chapter.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:58 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,914 Posts
A hot water line run underground from the house is going to be cold by the time it reaches the shop anyway. Let them cut it off or whatever they do. If it stays then bonus. If you want hot water in the shop later on then install a small demand heater under the sink or in the attic overhead. That way you'll have hot water almost immediately instead of slightly warm water 5 minutes after turning on the faucet.

Good move sucking it up and putting in the wider doors. As for the rolling cabinet I have to agree with the others that they suck for stability.

I'm going to be doing my own "movable work islands" once my own shop is up and running. But instead of corner casters I'll be using two retractable wheels located in the middle with four regular legs at the corners. The retractable wheels lock down with a lever which raises the center so the corner legs will be about an inch to inch and a half off the floor. The resulting pivoting table will be easy to balance and push around and maneuver into positions yet when the wheels are ulocked and retracted the table is solidly standing on the floor.

Of course this implies cutom building my islands. But that's OK. What I'm looking at doing is a good sturdy frame of good solid lumber and plywood with spots to install kitchen drawer units that have been trimmed to remove the lower skirt allowance. That will let me fit them in under the top yet be high enough to get the framing under them. This will also "lock" things together and give me storage room in the islands for tools or supplies.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,272 Posts
B--Got a link for those wheels?
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:12 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,914 Posts
They will simply be regular wheels about 6 inches with solid rubber tires like you find on a lot of carts. I'll do the locking down arms out of metal tubing myself.

It'll be pretty simple, the arms will be levered with a short arm of tubing over a pin stud for leverage. The leg will be levered down, lifting the bench, and pass over center and come to rest against a stop pin. At that point the tubing lever arm will come off and slip back into the storage hole in the framing to lock the leg from accidentally flipping back past the center point and collapsing. Once at the new location I'll draw the locking tube out and lower the leg and then just slip the tube back in to hold the leg and wheel up off the floor a little.

At least that's the mental concept. I have not even sketched it in CAD as yet.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:47 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Update for today:

1) They pulled the hot water line.

2) I agree with BMatthews (and a few other friends) who recommended a simple under-sink water heater. Seems that people have trouble getting hot water quickly from that distance anyway so it's probably better this way. I found some units between $200-$250 with good reviews. I'll give that a try.

3) Construction manager nearly pulled out one of my doors in the workshop to swap in the garage. I like the way my doors open in the workshop even it means they open INTO each other. It allows me to have a shelf or cabinet next to the bathroom. He didn't like my idea and now has to order a new door. Not my problem.

4) I think I've decided to go with 36" high counters and workbench. For resell purposes, it keeps a standard height in there. As for my workbench, I still want casters on the bottom so I can move the table more freely. That said, I see everyone's issue on having something 'too' moveable so I'll research more on how to keep it immobile when I'm using it.

Off to see if the roof is done. Our inspector comes next week. More photos to come.

-Lee
Last edited by yarsmythejr; Oct 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
774 Posts
You hired them right? Boy I would have a time keeping my mouth shut.

Anyway looking good. Will be nice when all done.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting