HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:36 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it. The word 'angular' was on the tip of my tongue but would not come out. ...
Hoo boy - tell me about it! I'm the world's worst for that myself. *LOL*
Just before shutting down for the day & catching my usual 2-3 hours of shuteye & happened to glimpse that a reply had been made so checked in.

I so agree with your comments about gyro 'masking' ... and am more or less 'on the fence but leaning' re their use in gliders, with the foremost thing keeping me 'on' being that I don't know all about gyros, & keeping an open mind in consideration others more creative might well have developed effective and perhaps essential uses for them that I haven't seen.

I have this 'term' - first heard uttered by my Dad many years ago - that describes it so well, and succinctly, it'd be hard to top. Only, I can't say it in here or I'd be banned for the next 7 centuries. *LMAO*
I'll just say it involves eating something thru a 'napkin', & leave the rest to your imagination. If you figure it out, it couldn't be more technically apropos.

G'night all! -- Drive safely!!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Yes, you are absolutely right. I knew it was wrong when I wrote it. The word 'angular' was on the tip of my tongue but would not come out.

Always fun to try different stuff. I actually bought one of those HK orange 3 axis gyros to play with myself. Great for powered planes, but I do see quite a few potential problems in a glider.

One problem with gliders is that you can't program spoilerons in when you use it. Also, I'm thinking the gyro would disguise tell tale signs that let you know what is happening in the air. For example, when looking for thermals, you will see one wing lift and the glider begins to roll out away from the thermal. The gyro would stop you from seeing this. I'm also thinking that during tight turns, it may induce tip stall on the inside wing as it acts to prevent the inside wing from dipping due to lower airspeed. It would also stop the glider from dipping it's nose as air speed drops in a straight line, which may lead to a sudden stall. Interesting to think about.
Yes, agreed, that's why I have not installed it in a glider, though the spoilerons could be done by just making one aileron go through the gyro!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:24 PM
Yes, I know it's upside down.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Yes, agreed, that's why I have not installed it in a glider, though the spoilerons could be done by just making one aileron go through the gyro!
Interesting idea, but I see some unintended consequence. Yes, you could get both ailerons to go up initially, but when you switch on spoileron, the gyro will be see a continuous aileron input, and will work to roll the aircraft. Not exactly what we want happening as we come into land!
Harrow is offline Find More Posts by Harrow
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 03, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:41 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,731 Posts
As I undersand it the orange 3 axis gyro are not that clever and only try to stop the roll regardless of tx input, you are just putting more input then the gyro is putting in to fight against you if you know what I mean. So it should work as the plane will be flying straight and therefor the gyro will not try to do anything to change things.
Others have tried this with success.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
137 Posts
I'll toss in on the stabilization. I have some AS3X planes and they are a blast to fly. When it comes to wind and gusts they give my poor flying skills a much wider flight envelope. But using that for my gliders.... Nope. When hunting thermals I need to see the wing tips and tail to tell what is happening up there. Stabilization wont give me that. I'm thinking that if you want to use stabilization then one of those little screamy things in your ear that tell you when your plane is going up or down would be in order. Again. Probably not for me.
bamoore01 is offline Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:00 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Y'know, if ya think about it, if your plane hits a thermal a gyro system seems to me would try to fight the lift. ???
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:02 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
As I undersand it the orange 3 axis gyro are not that clever and only try to stop the roll regardless of tx input, you are just putting more input then the gyro is putting in to fight against you if you know what I mean. So it should work as the plane will be flying straight and therefor the gyro will not try to do anything to change things.
Others have tried this with success.
Okay, I get it now. I haven't tried the one I bought yet and had assumed it would work like a heli heading hold gyro. Instead, it's a 'rate mode' gyro that ignores tx input and only reacts to plane movement. Makes perfect sense to me now. Thanks!

Might be fun to try install a flybarless heli gyro though, with HH in all 3-axis.
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 04, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:50 AM
Searching Field
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Minimoa Review

Hi guys !

Here is our new RC Video Review of the Minimoa by Hobbyking.

MINIMOA RC VIDEO REVIEW

Discover our other video on our website :
http://www.matterhorns.ch

Have Fun & Fly. Over.

@MFlyers
DOCFIGHT is offline Find More Posts by DOCFIGHT
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:32 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
I don't know why --- I really really don't --- but the first thing that came to mind in the first 10-15 seconds of the obnoxiously loud music* was, "Overblown Productions presents......"

*And I'm an old-school headbanger!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:32 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
821 Posts
Hi Dogfight,

Please let me congratulate you on your innovative use of multicopter-mounted video cameras to get some really interesting shots of the Minimoa. Looks like you live in a very beautiful place.

Regards,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
I've finally bought myself a new set of wings for my MM (I'd stupidly glued the wings together on my initial set- doh!) so I'm about to swap the servo's out of my old wings.

However, I cannot remember if I've read somewhere, that the stock servo's are crap or not. I've read so many posts about all sorts of planes now, that the old memory is chock full of stuff and I'm confusing myself.

So, can anyone advise me if the stock servos are any good?

Also, the MM fliers at my local club have TWO wing joining rods. I won't be seeing them until Sunday so meanwhile, has anyone else here got two joiners? If so, did the plane come with them or did you adapt the MM yourself?

If D.I.Y Do you have any tips?
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
821 Posts
Hi Beanz,

I recommend that you get these MG-90 servos from HeadsUpRC. They are inexpensive, metal gear and very durable. I have probably used 100 of them in planes I have built.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...0-Metal/Detail

I taped the Minimoa wings together with fiberglass packing tape. Works nicely to hold everything in place for transit. Also, I replaced the original metal wing bolts with nylon bolts that screwed into a piece of plywood. You create the threads by drilling a slightly undersized hole into the plywood, then threading in the bolts. Remove the bolts, apply some CA and presto - you have a great wing mount.

Best of luck,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:45 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Stone View Post
Hi Dogfight,

Please let me congratulate you on your innovative use of multicopter-mounted video cameras to get some really interesting shots of the Minimoa. Looks like you live in a very beautiful place.

Regards,

Jackson
Oh YES! Some GREAT shots in there. Didn't mean to sound like an ol' grouch, & was about half-asleep when I posted.

+++
Jax - on your 'made threads', how thick a piece of ply did you use? Balsa, basswood, beech or what?
Thx guy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
169 Posts
Thanks Jackson

I'll certainly try your fiberglass packing tape idea and also the nylon bolts idea.

I might try my luck with the stock servos at this stage but once I have some time, get replacement servos.

I still seem to remember seeing someone had used two separate wing joining rods though. Just wish I could remember where I saw it/read it. Whoever it was, said it made the wing assembly so much easier.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:03 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
3,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
I still seem to remember seeing someone had used two separate wing joining rods though. Just wish I could remember where I saw it/read it. Whoever it was, said it made the wing assembly so much easier.
That is because it originally used to come with two wing joiners, as well as two strengtheners in the wing. Later versions saved 20 cents in the manufacture and left the second wing joiner and strengthener out. As a result, some people have managed to break the single wing joiner and destroy their plane.
Last edited by Harrow; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:16 AM.