New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2015, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by SHPirate
United States, IN, Borden
Joined Dec 2014
44 Posts
Question
What boat to buy??? Blackjack 29 or Lucas Oil

I have decided to try RC boats and I want something fast and reliable. I think I've narrowed it down to the Pro Boat Blackjack 29 or the Aquacraft Lucas Oil / Motley Crew. Which one is faster? Which one has the best hull? Any help on what boat I should buy would be greatly appreciated.
SHPirate is offline Find More Posts by SHPirate
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 09:16 PM
Joined Dec 2014
44 Posts
NO one has an opinion or any info on these boats? Come on guys, these are very popular boats. I know some of you have them and have to have personal experience with them. I found a hobby store selling the Aquacraft Lucas Oil boat for $250! That seems like a great deal but I don't want to buy a boat that can't compete with the Blackjack 29 or has an inferior hull. I need your knowledge

Old May 18, 2015, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by fastblade
Joined Oct 2013
246 Posts
Hands down I'd get the BlackJack 29.... just look at the specs alone... BlackJack has a 120 amp esc..... Aqua is only a 60 amp esc... You'd have to spend another $80 to get a 120... Plus max current on a Aqua motor is 5s and only 1800kv.... BlackJack is 6s and 2000kv...... So all in all you get everything you will eventually want in a BlackJack right off the bat.... Plus Horzion Hobby Customer Service is second to none... They usually just replace brand new what ever piece you are having problems with and rather quickly.....
fastblade is offline Find More Posts by fastblade
Old May 18, 2015, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by davonat
" DID U SEE THAT!!!? "
Oconomowoc Wi
Joined Mar 2008
1,331 Posts
I too would get the Blackjack for the reasons stated above.....and as a rule you get what you pay for..... quality in all departments always cost more
davonat is online now Find More Posts by davonat
Old May 19, 2015, 12:14 AM
Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Joined Apr 2010
998 Posts
Hi,
I have a setup guide for both boats that can help you with some key information.

IMHO, these boats are best run on 4s. Properly set up and using the right prop, they can hit 50mph. For 4s, the Aquacraft 60A esc is just fine-- I use this esc in my p-limited racing hydros with a 2030kv motor and it performs great.

The blackjack's 120A ESC is way overkill for 4s, but not enough to run 6s reliably-- plus 2000kv on 6s is too many RPMs. Again, it is best on 4s.

Both Proboat and Aquacraft make solid RTR models especially in the 30in range. They design the boats to run in NAMBA p-limited offshore class. The electronics in both boats are proven and rock solid (on 4s...). So, don't let the "guts" sway you on the decision.

Regarding the hulls, there are some differences

The proboat cat hulls have wide sponsons, which reduce any side to side rocking. The penalty for this is that it is hard to get them perfectly flat out of the factory, and any concavity in the sponson can result in "bouncing" or "porpoising". You can fix this by blueprinting the sponsons.

The lucas oil (and motley crew) hulls generally do not porpoise, this is because the sponsons are narrower. The cost of that is some side to side rocking. But this is minor.

Bottom line, both hulls perform well, the proboat hull I think handles a little bit better provided you blueprint the sponsons. But the difference is so minor that it pretty much boils down to the paint scheme you like better...

If you want a 60mph/ 6s boat, you need to replace the ESC in both boats, and choose a motor in the the 1500kv range (1800 is pushing it but doable, 2000 is outside the sweet spot). However, these hulls are designed to run in the 50s, if you push them to 60 you should reinforce the hulls else you risk splitting the hulls if they flip. I recommend a custom hand built hull for a 6s/ 60+ config vs. going the RTR route...

If you would like a copy of the setup/running guides for these boats, plus links to the blueprinting tutorial, shoot me a note at jqhydro@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Chief
BHChieftain is offline Find More Posts by BHChieftain
Old May 19, 2015, 05:23 AM
Joined Dec 2014
44 Posts
Chief,
Thanks for the great info! I'll definitely send you an email for the set up of both boats. there are a group of guys (5) that live near a local lake that have decided to get these boats and have a little fun. At this point we've only set the guideline that they will all be catamarans and have a length no greater than 32". I think everyone is looking at the Aquacraft Lucas Oil / MC or the Pro Boat Blackjack 29. I'm on a small budget but I don't even want to waste my money if I can't compete. It sounds like set up is everything on these boats!
Old May 19, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by restart
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
i had a lucas oil and a miss geico29 v2
don't be fooled by the specs , i'm sure the esc is capable off handling a lot more than the 60 amps from the specs , it's smooth ,never got it hot
50 mph : the boat still handled perfect

conclusion : the LO was my favorite boat , sold it after more than 2 years , had the Mg for just a couple months
restart is offline Find More Posts by restart
Last edited by restart; May 19, 2015 at 06:07 AM.
Old May 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
Joined Dec 2014
44 Posts
I'm leaning toward the Aqaucraft Lucas oil. I love the looks of it and at $250 shipped vs $429 for the Blackjack 29 it's hard to beat. $179 will buy batteries and a few upgrades. From what I can tell on the youtube videos the Lucas Oil boats run just as fast as the Blackjack. I'm still on the fence so I would like as much input from you guys as possible.
Old May 19, 2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by fastblade
Joined Oct 2013
246 Posts
After reading the comments from BH... I'm not sure either... There has been many times that I say to myself "why don't I just buy the hull"....but then you gotta mess with linkage, stern hardware etc.... I bought my BlackJack 24 with a blown ESC off of Ebay for half the price of new one and now I have just a little more of what would be the cost of a new one with the mods I did.... Very curious to see these blueprints.... but financially wise sounds like LO might be the way to go... but I'd rather have the BlackJack hull if possible....
fastblade is offline Find More Posts by fastblade
Last edited by fastblade; May 19, 2015 at 03:06 PM.
Old May 19, 2015, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Joined Oct 2011
813 Posts
Either will do well, but the are 4 S boats...dropping 6S in the proboat is doable as per the specks, but for how long??? Plus you had better prop down when doing that as well as the increase in RPM will be VERY hard on the components otherwise.

One other thing to consider is how often you want to end up upside down.....the hull is not really that "sized" for the speeds 6S will give you. Keep them on 4S, and with some prop changes, high 40's to low 50's is achievable and more than enough for boats that size.
dobydog6507 is offline Find More Posts by dobydog6507
Old May 19, 2015, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,464 Posts
the BJ3 for sure. it handles way better and is much faster. 6s flick. the Lucas will not handle chop nor speed as well as this BJ3

BlackJack v3 Fully modded (1 min 38 sec)
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old May 19, 2015, 09:00 PM
Joined Dec 2014
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post
the BJ3 for sure. it handles way better and is much faster. 6s flick. the Lucas will not handle chop nor speed as well as this BJ3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akGW5XF1SZM

That boat is awesome but how much money has been thrown at it after the $400 purchase price? If I'm going to completely rebuild the boat I think there are better hulls than the Blackjack 29.
Old May 20, 2015, 08:33 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
Joined Feb 2007
2,464 Posts
I bought the boat used for 250$ then sold the stock guts. purchased leopard motor $100, esc $120. plus OSE upgrades. I wouldn't under estimate the BJ3 hull just because its a mass production boat.

You can buy just the hull on ebay or HH ect.. either way. the original question of BJ vs Lucas. BJ Hands down
Old May 21, 2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by restart
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneenforcer View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akGW5XF1SZM

sorry but the LO , is capable of doing the same with stock motor and esc
see no difference regarding speed /handling chop
restart is offline Find More Posts by restart
Last edited by restart; May 22, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 21, 2015, 05:02 PM
High Dynamic Thrust
Joined Feb 2007
2,464 Posts
yeahhh ok.....