Old Mar 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,179 Posts
Build Log
Republic-Ford JB-2 Loon, 90mm by Phil Wesley

Here is the latest out of my Dad's shop; Republic-Ford JB-2 Loon. Its now in my shop for completion and to make the takeoff dolly. Hope to have it flying in the next couple weeks. We are both convinced this little beast will have a short life.

Span: 46"
Area: 437 sq"
Length: 63"
Fan: 90mm Schubeler DS-51 DIA HDT
Motor: ARC 36-75-1 1680kv
ESC: Ice 100
8S 3700 to 5800 batteries

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,117 Posts
Nice work! it should fly well just be ready for the thrust to pitch it nose down at WOT...I have a K&A V1....Don't go full throttle if you are low and slow . Bring up the power slowly.
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:16 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Nice work! it should fly well just be ready for the thrust to pitch it nose down at WOT...I have a K&A V1....Don't go full throttle if you are low and slow . Bring up the power slowly.
Thanks! Pitching down under power is what we expected, and we put a considerable amount on up thrust (I guess that's what you'd call it) to help compensate. I have a couple aircraft that pitch hard one way or or the other slow and WOT, that's what makes them a challenge. If everything flew like RVs and Cherokees, I would be bored out of my mind.

It would be neat to develope an airspeed and throttle to elevator trim mix. Didn't Piper work on something like that for the Piper Jet?

First step will be rigging the HS-125MGs in the wings. Pictures to follow...
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:23 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,179 Posts
Color Scheme

Incase some of you are questioning our color scheme, here is a photo of an LTV-N-2 Loon at the New England Air Museum.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by Quorneng
Joined Feb 2007
278 Posts
Snap!
My JB-2 Loon
Name: Complete1.JPG
Views: 16
Size: 140.1 KB
Description:
A bit smaller at 40" span and I expect rather lighter at just 20oz all up with an 1800mAh 3s but at that weight it allows the use of a small 55mm EDF in a true scale duct.
The basic Fieseler Fi103 was aerodynamically pretty efficient so I would expect yours to fly well although likely a great deal faster than mine does!

I look forward to a video.
Quorneng is offline Find More Posts by Quorneng
Old Apr 01, 2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,546 Posts
Extend an imaginary thrust line from the center of the fan exhaust through the balance point by raising the discharge end of the nacelle. That way there will be no pitch change as a function of throttle position.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:34 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,117 Posts
That would make for a funny looking V1 i think..ask how I know..Lol
The last time i flew i was looking into a deflector in the tail pipe to angle the thust up. But havent done much with it yet
Old Apr 03, 2015, 04:07 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Dudeck View Post
Extend an imaginary thrust line from the center of the fan exhaust through the balance point by raising the discharge end of the nacelle. That way there will be no pitch change as a function of throttle position.
Yes, that would cancel pitch changes with throttle but it would make for not only a funny looking V1 like turbonut points out, but would induce all sorts of other issues. Just like everything else in aviation its a series of compromises.

My brother-in-law tells me that the 737 he flies pitches up with throttle. To compensate with thrust angle would mean pointing the engines exhaust straight down. I doubt it would fly, or even taxi!

Its just going to take some piloting skills, i'm sure I can do it.
Old Apr 03, 2015, 05:43 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,117 Posts
Yea Just go for it.. I have been flying mine with no mods to thrust other than a bit of nose down trim at full throttle. And I flew it for a long time with out that.
Here is my old thread. its long but there is some vid of it flying
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581508