New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2015, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by alcarafa
Joined Apr 2006
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardoso47 View Post
Hi, mate prop spinner is 51mm with 6mm shaft or 8mm prop adapter which comes with NTM 42 series accessory pack.. because I don't know which one to buy 32mm or 42mm accessory pack to get right with the hole spinner diameter 6mm
Forget the NTM motors and get the SK series those come with full accesories package and alu spinner from HK fit great, besides having a much better quality.
alcarafa is offline Find More Posts by alcarafa
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by SlowStick14
Joined Apr 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldopn View Post
They arrived together!
Yes, I bought 2, could not resist 2 HK sales for less than $100 , I'll be selling one.
BTW, the carbon LG I bought based on recommendations does not fit well. I did a sketch with the correct dimensions in case someone is looking for one. I have just ordered this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_260_70E.html
I'm usesingn this LG. It fits well.

Carbon Fiber Landing Gear for Extra 260 50E
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_260_50E.html
SlowStick14 is offline Find More Posts by SlowStick14
Old May 09, 2015, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Oct 2012
231 Posts
Pretty close too
ronaldopn is offline Find More Posts by ronaldopn
Old May 10, 2015, 04:58 AM
Find More Posts by Oscar Jr.
Zarapa's pilot !
Brasil, São Paulo, Caraguatatuba
Joined Apr 2011
97 Posts
Happy kid!

Quote:
They arrived together!
Yes, I bought 2, could not resist 2 HK sales for less than $100 , I'll be selling one.
BTW, the carbon LG I bought based on recommendations does not fit well. I did a sketch with the correct dimensions in case someone is looking for one. I have just ordered this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_260_70E.html
Wow, congratulations! I would buy one if she was orange
Sorry about the LG. That info I got in this thread
Oscar Jr. is offline Find More Posts by Oscar Jr.
Old May 10, 2015, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by Oscar Jr.
Zarapa's pilot !
Brasil, São Paulo, Caraguatatuba
Joined Apr 2011
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcardoso47 View Post
thanks, but that I know , what I need to know if he had to drill the prop or backplate spinner to 8mm hole because it comes in 6mm diam. shaft hole..
Yes, you have to redrill those holes with something like that:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...-self-starting
Oscar Jr. is offline Find More Posts by Oscar Jr.
Last edited by Oscar Jr.; May 10, 2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old May 10, 2015, 06:18 AM
Joined Oct 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcarafa View Post
Forget the NTM motors and get the SK series those come with full accesories package and alu spinner from HK fit great, besides having a much better quality.
Funny you mentioned, I ordered aTurnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4240-620kv on the same Slick order (for another plane). This is my first SK motor and I was really impressed by the quality of the packaging and looks.
If it performs as well as the NTMs I'll be sure switching to these motors.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:00 AM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
3,178 Posts
Quote:
Funny you mentioned, I ordered aTurnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4240-620kv on the same Slick order (for another plane). This is my first SK motor and I was really impressed by the quality of the packaging and looks.
If it performs as well as the NTMs I'll be sure switching to these motors.
They are good motors but I have seen reports of the bearings coming apart in hardcore 3d moves. Probably just fine if your not going to be doing full throttle crankshafts, blenders, etc.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2015, 11:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
231 Posts
What a coincidence, you named two of my favorite maneuvers
I agree, the bearings are quite fragile. I had a few minor crashes where you could feel the bearing was not running as smooth as before. Still flyable but just not as new.
The good thing is that the bearings are pretty standard and easily replaceable.
If you replace the original bearings by some quality ones and re-glue the magnets the motor becomes bullet proof.
Since I've been using mostly NTMs I ordered a bunch of bearings to keep as spares
Old May 10, 2015, 11:09 AM
Joined Oct 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Jr. View Post
Wow, congratulations! I would buy one if she was orange
Sorry about the LG. That info I got in this thread
Oscar, keep an eye for HK sales, it will show up eventually
One tip for you, check the European warehouse too, although products are a bit more expensive, shipping is way cheaper. The total cost is usually lower from EU warehouse.
Don't worry about the LG, I'm not building the plane now so I can wait. Right now I'm working on a larger Slick 540.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405503
Old May 10, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by iadamz
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2009
188 Posts
My motor vote will continue to be the Motrolfly 3615 from subsonic planes. Power power power. Great support too. It's made for these couple of 51" 3d planes.
iadamz is online now Find More Posts by iadamz
Old May 10, 2015, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by davecrash
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,253 Posts
I just put the SK3 3542 800kv in mine. Very happy with it so far Although im not a very agressive 3D' r it does appear to have enough power on 4S.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old May 11, 2015, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by timwj1
I want just one more plane!
United States, ID, Idaho Falls
Joined Feb 2013
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadamz View Post
My motor vote will continue to be the Motrolfly 3615 from subsonic planes. Power power power. Great support too. It's made for these couple of 51" 3d planes.
I couldn't agree more, best motors around.
timwj1 is offline Find More Posts by timwj1
Old May 11, 2015, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
581 Posts
New HKSOB...

...I know what you're thinkin', but it's Hobby King 'Slick On Board'.........

Did get around to maidening my HKS a couple weeks back. Flew her once & from that one flight I can tell I'm gonna be Happy Kamper... Had an ESC issue on the tarmac when powering up for take-off, though... Seems the timing was off. Luckily, another pilot at the field had a programming card so I remedied that in short order, taxied back out & then took off. Only took one click of up elevator to get her trimmed for both upright & inverted flying. CG was per spec at 99mm, too. Really surprised no other trimming was needed......

Very impressed with how well she flew. Stable, but not heavy. I can already tell she's gonna be a solid performer from that one 5 minute flight. I didn't wring her out since I was just getting a feel for the basics with her. Surprisingly, landing wasn't stressful at all. It was much easier than I expected (compared to my R.I.P. GP Edge 540). Just kept the prop spinning, angled the nose down & she touched down easily. Unfortunately, I did experience problems with the wheel pants. Since no set screws were used, one pant rotated forward & one popped off completely... There's no mention of using set screws in the manual nor are there any pre-drilled holes in the gear. I thought about adding one to each leg during assembly (& should have) but I didn't so that was the end to the rest of the planned flights I had for her... Good news is that's all fixed for next time......

My current HKS setup:
  • Motor: NTM Prop Drive 42-38, 750kv, 785W, 169g (w/out access. pack)
  • ESC: Dynam 60A ESC, 3A SBEC, 33g (switching)
  • Servos: Emax ES3104 MG, 19g (elev, w/custom arm), HXT D-MG16 MG 19g (rud, w/3DHS arm)
  • Servos: Towerpro MG90S, 14g (ail, w/custom arms)
  • Servo extensions: 28g
  • RX: 22g
  • Battery: Zippy Compact, 4S, 2450mAh, 35C, 270g
  • Prop: Turnigy 14x6E wood
  • Spinner: Turnigy Turbocool, 51mm

AUW (taken on my unofficial produce scale & YMMV) is approx. 54 oz., or 3.375 lbs., or 1523g. Not bad since I'm using 4S 2450mAh packs & larger servos in the tail... Got some photos post-maiden which is normally not the case for me...

Anyway, IMHO this HKS seems like a very good design even with the limited stick time I've had with her. She goes where you point her, she feels light for her size & I didn't encounter any weird or bad habits when attempting upright harriers, either...... Based on that one rather docile first flight, I'm hopin' for a long-lasting relationship, one that allows me to fly the livin' snot of her on a regular basis.........
RCAV8T0R is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
Old May 13, 2015, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by hemiblas
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined May 2009
397 Posts
Quote:
Oscar, keep an eye for HK sales, it will show up eventually
One tip for you, check the European warehouse too, although products are a bit more expensive, shipping is way cheaper. The total cost is usually lower from EU warehouse.
Don't worry about the LG, I'm not building the plane now so I can wait. Right now I'm working on a larger Slick 540.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2405503
Did you pick up the arf kits for less than 100 bucks each? did I miss a sale?

I also run the ntm motor. the 42-38 750kv. No hard 3d manuevers but it seems to be doing well. I really like the sk3 motors, but in the 42-40 they are much bigger in size than the ntm 42-38.
hemiblas is online now Find More Posts by hemiblas
Old May 13, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiblas View Post
Did you pick up the arf kits for less than 100 bucks each? did I miss a sale?
Yes, $ 96.93 to be more precise
I have spent a lot of money there so HK calls me a "platinum" member and gives me better prices
I doubt I would have started in the hobby if they did not exist. I know some people have issues with them but I have always received great and fast customer service (not just once but many times). They even refunded orders which were probably lost due to Brazilian Customs/ mail service.
Sure, some products are not the best quality but were just good enough to allow me to start and evolve in the hobby.
Sorry, I deviated from the HKS topic