Old Nov 02, 2015, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by mjh1
Canada, ON, Pelham
Joined Aug 2015
23 Posts
Question
What next

Hello Everyone
Just getting back into the hobby after many years away.
I have a Sport Cub S that I'm flying indoors for the winter which is a large indoor soccer field, that I can now fly in expert mode with no real issues.
Looking for a second plane to get more air time as I let the Cub cool down between each flight.
Is a good next plane a UMX PT17 or the UMX B17? Will either of these be a good choice?
Would like something that is not too fast, but not boring either and something that will help prepare for larger outdoor flying come next spring.
Or is there another plane I should be looking at?
I like the scale type planes.
Thanks for the help and input.
mjh1 is offline Find More Posts by mjh1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2015, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
285 Posts
While I have not personally flown the PT-17, I have watched it action many times and it seems like it would be a great plane for indoor flying.
Captain Muscles is online now Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Old Nov 02, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by cbear
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
701 Posts
almost sure there will be a new something comeing from horrizion before christmas to rob even more money from my depleated wallet the umx pitts would fly in a place like you mentioned , pt17 was on my radar also like captian muceles , one cells power for indoor flying is good .could be fun
cbear is online now Find More Posts by cbear
Old Nov 02, 2015, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
2,153 Posts
I own both. The PT-17 is easier to fly than the Cub, and less agile as well. If you want to move up to something a bit more challenging, buy a UMX Pitts, or the UMX Mustang (or one of its brethren warbirds). The Pitts needs 2S batteries, the Mustang and its siblings will use the same batteries you have for the Cub.
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Nov 02, 2015, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Joined Aug 2015
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666 View Post
I own both. The PT-17 is easier to fly than the Cub, and less agile as well. If you want to move up to something a bit more challenging, buy a UMX Pitts, or the UMX Mustang (or one of its brethren warbirds). The Pitts needs 2S batteries, the Mustang and its siblings will use the same batteries you have for the Cub.
The Pitts is a great plane! Probably the best UMX Horizon has built! If you do fly her indoors, just be mindful that she has a lot of power and can climb very quickly. That being said, she can fly relatively slowly if you are mindful of your throttle.
Captain Muscles is online now Find More Posts by Captain Muscles
Old Nov 03, 2015, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by BRGT350
United States, MI, Grand Haven
Joined Oct 2012
87 Posts
I have the B-17, but have not flown it yet. A number of people have told me the B-17 is a handful. I don't know if that applies to indoor flying or just in general. I moved from the Sport Cub S to the UMX Corsair to work on my skills before going to the B-17. I know a few people from the local hobby shop that fly the Corsair indoors in the winter, but I don't know if I will try that or not. She isn't terribly fast, but sure faster than the Cub!
BRGT350 is online now Find More Posts by BRGT350
Old Nov 03, 2015, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,637 Posts
The PT 17 is a great looker well fly indoors easy the wheels which were a a problem on most of my biplane's this one the wheels go on like a champ so I am planning on flying one inside this winter.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back yard Runway Progress
Old Nov 03, 2015, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by mjh1
Canada, ON, Pelham
Joined Aug 2015
23 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone I had not looked at the Pitts yet that's a great looking plane! Will it fly as slow as the P17 or no it needs to be flown faster? Is it an easy flying plane for someone new to the hobby?
Old Nov 03, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by cbear
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
701 Posts
it will fly slow but prob not as slow as the p17, if you leave the control l horns at the stock locations, dial in alittle expo, lower the throw down to 80 percent and fly it with a light 2 cell pack 240 mha , it would be a great docile indoor plane, then as your skill level improves move the control rods in on the horns, go back to 100 percent throw and ditch the expo and have some fun, some , people fly it with a larger pack but i have found the hyperion 2 cell 240 mha is a very sweet combo in this plane ,
cbear is online now Find More Posts by cbear
Old Nov 03, 2015, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
2,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350 View Post
I have the B-17, but have not flown it yet. A number of people have told me the B-17 is a handful. I don't know if that applies to indoor flying or just in general. I moved from the Sport Cub S to the UMX Corsair to work on my skills before going to the B-17. I know a few people from the local hobby shop that fly the Corsair indoors in the winter, but I don't know if I will try that or not. She isn't terribly fast, but sure faster than the Cub!
I've also got one of these. I can fly it in the space of a basketball court, but it's work...

This is a video of one of my club buddies flying his in the same space (I couldn't fly mine and record video too), once he saw that it was actually possible...

Tom flies his B-17 (1 min 27 sec)
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Nov 08, 2015, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by mjh1
Canada, ON, Pelham
Joined Aug 2015
23 Posts
I ended up going in a totally different direction and purchased a UMX B-17. Got some help with the maiden flight and trimming from one of the instructors at the indoor sight. Very different from the Sport Cub S but was able to get the hang of it quickly and able to fly around indoors for 3 or so batteries and landed with no real issues. Can't wait for a day with no wind to fly outside with more room.
Thanks for the input everyone