Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Help!
Minim OSD v1.1 from HobbyKing

Hi,

I recently got the v1.1 of this OSD from HK. It *worked* during a few minutes with two separate power supplies (5v & 12v). Then I decided to test it with 5v only (soldering the two appropriate pads)... the MAX7456 became very hot and the unit stopped working. The two (red) power leds are OK, and the Atmel chip seems ok since the "st" leds flashes. I also checked that 5v is still present on the digital & analog VCC of the Maxim chip.
The Max7456 is probably dead

Did someone manage to make this OSD *sold by HK* to work with analog & digital power lines connected togother ? I am asking this because I would like to be sure that it is not a faulty batch before ordering another one...

Thanks in advance !

EDIT: The Atmel chip is indeed ok, I could connect it to the (PC) configuration software using an FTDI/USB adapter.
grmis is offline Find More Posts by grmis
Last edited by grmis; Mar 25, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Someone else on the HK product discussion mentioned that he "cooked" his OSD...
If you have some positive or negative experience with this v1.1 sold by HK, please tell me !
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:16 PM
Find More Posts by Shikra
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,513 Posts
Works fine for me. Run one of 5v and another off 12v
Did you remember to remove 12v from the center pins if using the soldered points? Easy done - I forgot one day...
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
Old Mar 25, 2013, 05:14 PM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Did you remember to remove 12v from the center pins if using the soldered points? Easy done - I forgot one day...
Ok thanks. I am quite sure I did not make this mistake. Let's order another one...
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by typicalaimster
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,582 Posts
Hmm interesting. I guess everyone is jumping on the APM bandwagon. For $20 I'll have to toss one into my order next time.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
Old Mar 26, 2013, 06:09 AM
Find More Posts by Shikra
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,513 Posts
I use mine with Multiwii !!

Some great developments of it by KV team... https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/

test vid...
Tri test flight & ShikiWii (1 min 55 sec)
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
Old May 02, 2013, 05:07 AM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Hi. If someone wants to repair a minimOSD with a dead Max7456 chip, here are some details:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883842
Old May 15, 2013, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Refund from Hobbyking

A bit more than one month ago I sent my dead OSD back to Hobbyking (with RMA number). I just got a refund a few days ago (on my hobbyking acount)
I had a second dead OSD that I could repair (see post above).
Old Jun 06, 2013, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by flipy
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
I was testing the unit when a white smoke came up.
I used the power output from the S1-3 in the crius clone board.
I did notice too late that the pins in the MinimOSD are not correctly labeled (GND is not GND).

It still boots up and all LEDs are working, but the Max7456 zone gets really hot.

I've noticed that below the Max7456 chip there are three holes, but somehow they seem to be soldered together. Is that right?

I guess I've burned the Max7456 chip by not using a correct ground pin, didn't I?

thanks
flipy is offline Find More Posts by flipy
Old Jun 06, 2013, 04:10 AM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipy View Post
I was testing the unit when a white smoke came up.
I used the power output from the S1-3 in the crius clone board.
I did notice too late that the pins in the MinimOSD are not correctly labeled (GND is not GND).

It still boots up and all LEDs are working, but the Max7456 zone gets really hot.

I've noticed that below the Max7456 chip there are three holes, but somehow they seem to be soldered together. Is that right?

I guess I've burned the Max7456 chip by not using a correct ground pin, didn't I?

thanks
Hi.
- I already burnt 2 video chips... and in both cases the Max7456 became very hot after that. So it is very likely dead in your case too :-( If you want to try to replace the chip (you can get one for free as a "sample" from Maxim web site), you can have a look here.
- It seems that it is rather easy to kill the Max7456 if the analog and digital grounds have some slight voltage difference (>0.3V can be lethal according to the data sheet !).
- Under the Max7456 I have a metallic tab which helps to cool the chip, with some holes (6 in my case). And yes, they are electrically connected together.
Last edited by grmis; Jun 06, 2013 at 04:17 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jun 06, 2013, 05:31 AM
Find More Posts by flipy
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmis View Post
Hi.
- I already burnt 2 video chips... and in both cases the Max7456 became very hot after that. So it is very likely dead in your case too :-( If you want to try to replace the chip (you can get one for free as a "sample" from Maxim web site), you can have a look here.
- It seems that it is rather easy to kill the Max7456 if the analog and digital grounds have some slight voltage difference (>0.3V can be lethal according to the data sheet !).
- Under the Max7456 I have a metallic tab which helps to cool the chip, with some holes (6 in my case). And yes, they are electrically connected together.
Thanks for the info.

What I still don't get is how could it be burned if I never used two power sources...
Old Jun 06, 2013, 06:16 AM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipy View Post
Thanks for the info.
What I still don't get is how could it be burned if I never used two power sources...
In my case it burnt using a single 3S lipo but the digital side powered through an ESC, and the video side directly to the lipo. This way the grounds were connected but only through some rather long path (via ESC and flight controller -- not directly on the minimOSD). I read several reports (on DIY drone forum in particular) of people having fried their minimOSD with this setup. So it could be that when pluging or unpluging the video or digital sides there is a small transient voltage difference between the grounds. Now I have connected the two grounds (and the two +5v) directly on the OSD -- and no problem since then.
Old Jun 06, 2013, 01:48 PM
Find More Posts by turbodriven
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,648 Posts
I accidentally let the smoke out of my HK MinimOSD 1.1 last night. It's seems ridiculous that hooking this thing up has to be this complicated.

I had a single 3s battery split between a 5v UBEC (that powered the APM2.5 and then fed to the +5V on the MinimOSD through the data port) and my 12v in and out for my video system which went into the other end of the MinimOSD. Even from the start I had no image display as everything was connected to a screen, and after about 2 seconds I noticed some quick smoke. I immediately yanked the wires out but I'm sure it's dead now. Lights still come on and what-not but that probably doesn't mean anything.

Problem is, now that I've read a ton about this, I still don't understand the right way to get this thing working. Or what I even did wrong. Why would sharing a ground be bad? I can't imagine. It seems crazy to me that you could connect all the wires on a product as it's labeled to do, and that would fry it. That in order to not fry your new product, you'd have to be a member of a secret society and understand the secret way of doing it.

So I hope, with a new one of course, I'd simply have to use two completely separate power sources. A 3s connected to a 5v UBEC that powers the APM2.5 and the OSD, and then a different 3s battery (this time with the +12v connected direct to the video system and taken out of the MinimOSD loop for starters) connecting ground and video wires in and out of the other end. Is that even right?
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Jun 06, 2013, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by grmis
France, IDF, 91
Joined May 2011
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodriven View Post
I had a single 3s battery split between a 5v UBEC (that powered the APM2.5 and then fed to the +5V on the MinimOSD through the data port) and my 12v in and out for my video system which went into the other end of the MinimOSD.
This is exactly how I (and olters...) fried my OSD (although the manual says you can do it !). A safe solution is to connect the digital and analog grounds directly on the OSD. And also to power the video side of the OSD with the same +5v as the digital side (therefore not using the voltage regulator of the OSD - and not connecting the 12v of your camera to the OSD of course). The only risk is to get some noise in the image, but in my setup it is Ok, so it is worth trying. With two lipos I think that you still have a high chance of having some (small) voltage difference between the grounds and that would again kill the video chip. This OSD is too fragile when used with two separate power rails.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 01:55 PM
Find More Posts by flipy
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined May 2010
188 Posts
Is there any way to tell if the Max7456 chip is burned?
There is no external visual damage, and I don't want to risk losing another device by plugging it into the MinimOSD.