HorizonHobby.com Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Discussion
Playboy fly's with Saito 56

I finally got a day with low wind and nice temps to fly my Playboy with the Saito 56. It flew great. The Saito 56 is a really nice running four stroke. I only used about half throttle to take off, and about a quarter throttle to cruise around. A very nice combanation. After having flown this thing for years with old sparkers, it was nice to just be able to putt putt around with a throttled engine. I was able to maintain altitude with the throttle just above idle, and the engine is very smooth through the whole rpm range. I can't say enough how much I like the Saito, as it is one of the nicest handling engines I have ever run, and it just sips fuel running it that way. I am really looking forward to getting it in the air again.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by williame3590
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
3,415 Posts
That's great Jim, the Saito 56 and the OS 52 are both great engines for 84" span models.
Not sure, is your Playboy 80"?

Glad your havin fun.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jan 06, 2012, 11:33 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Yes Bill; It is the 80 inch Playboy.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by czirh
Use your imagination....
Greece, Dafni
Joined Oct 2007
1,165 Posts
Hello Jim,
I love the sound of Saito 56, congratulations.
safe landings

Cem
czirh is offline Find More Posts by czirh
Old Jan 07, 2012, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by jjscott
United States, WI, Elm Grove
Joined Apr 2007
494 Posts
That's nice, Jim. Did you check the change in balance when switching from the Ohlsson? I would think the Saito and fuel would be heavier than the ignition setup.

Jim
jjscott is offline Find More Posts by jjscott
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:15 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
I really did not check the balance. I did weigh all of the stuff I took out, and weighed everything going in, and it was within an ounce or two. Since the engine and components are so close to the CG, I figured it would be OK. When I had the ign. enignes in it, I had the batteries strapped on under the engine, so the weight of the batteries + the engine, was real close to the weight of the Saito.

There was also quite a spread when running ign. engines. From the 10 ounce Super Cyclone, to the almost 14 ounce Anderson Spitfire, there was not much change in the way it flew. It seems the Playboy has a wide range that you can run the CG and still be good. When I first started flying it, the CG was at about 50%.
Old Jan 07, 2012, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,749 Posts
Eut's success with 4 Strokes prompted some rule changes in SAM that would make 1,008 sq in the minimum wing area for such an engine.
(Closed Rocker Arm disp 56) X (80%) X (22.5) = 1008

Enjoy flying it outside of competition; praise it for how fun and quiet it is; and, maybe more people will come to their senses.

Unfortunately, unmuffled glows with snare shutoffs and ignition engines have a hard time making friends at your typical flying field.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Jan 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
I can understand the 1,008 sq rule. The four strokes will swing big props with authority, and make gobs of power. Since I only fly them for fun, it works well for me, and I may be able to fly it at fields closer to home.

I do love flying the old sparkers though, and I am very fortunate that our R/C control line field, is out of town a couple of miles, and we do not have a noise problem. I also fly control line competition with sparkers, so I do have to drive 25 miles to the club field to fly those also. There just isn't anything like an old sparker growling its way up, but the Saito is really fun for just putt putting around. I sometimes keep the timing retarded on the spark motors to make a long slow motor run before it gets to high. The old timers are very gracefull no matter how you fly them. I have always been an engine guy, so I have not tried electric yet. Just to much fun with IC engines.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2004
953 Posts
Hi Jim; So the weather finally let you fly her,compared to my electric motors your Saito seems much larger. whether you fly electric or ic I don,t think it really matters, I have never flown IC RC but I like the sound they make and have a small collection of old diesel motors,sadly some non model people don't appreciate it, I think that the lack of noise and oil is the only advantage of electric. I still havn't seen a spark engine running but hope to see "Teals 1" run in the not to distant future .

Colin.
ColinNZ is online now Find More Posts by ColinNZ
Old Jan 08, 2012, 09:15 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Yes Colin; We did have around 10 mph cross wind, but the Playboy is off in a couple of feet, so not a problem. I don't like landing in a cross wind with it, but I was able to get it down ok. Our runway is very long, but only about 70' wide.

I do envy you guys that run electric, with no cleanup, and having more places to fly without noise. We all have fun and that is the name of the game. After having flown R/C pattern competition for 25 years, I am having a great time flying control line and old timers of my youth. Guess I am in my second child hood, or maybe the first never ended. LOL
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Slopemaster
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2015
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
I finally got a day with low wind and nice temps to fly my Playboy with the Saito 56. It flew great. The Saito 56 is a really nice running four stroke. I only used about half throttle to take off, and about a quarter throttle to cruise around. A very nice combanation. After having flown this thing for years with old sparkers, it was nice to just be able to putt putt around with a throttled engine. I was able to maintain altitude with the throttle just above idle, and the engine is very smooth through the whole rpm range. I can't say enough how much I like the Saito, as it is one of the nicest handling engines I have ever run, and it just sips fuel running it that way. I am really looking forward to getting it in the air again.
Jim,

I've got the same engine on a SPAD. It's a great engine.
Slopemaster is offline Find More Posts by Slopemaster
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:19 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Hey Ken;

They are nice engines. I came into a Saito 90 Twin a few years ago from an old flying friend, and put it on my Lazy Ace. It does not put out quite the power of the OS 90 FS that was on it, but it sounds pretty and does the job. I believe you had a 60 twin on a Smith Miniplane if I remember right. That was a while back or like 25 years ago.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Trisquire
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,672 Posts
A local fellow flies a scale B-25 on two Saitos as if it was his Ugly Stick. They are very reliable engines. They are as close to electric as you can get with an IC engine.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 09, 2016, 09:26 PM
Find More Posts by Slopemaster
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Aug 2015
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Hey Ken;

They are nice engines. I came into a Saito 90 Twin a few years ago from an old flying friend, and put it on my Lazy Ace. It does not put out quite the power of the OS 90 FS that was on it, but it sounds pretty and does the job. I believe you had a 60 twin on a Smith Miniplane if I remember right. That was a while back or like 25 years ago.
Your close, that was a EAA Acro Sport (Jack Stafford kit).

It had the same engine you've got, Saito 90 Twin. Engine ran pretty good but didn't have a lot of power. I had to use dual clunks in the tank and not the supplied fuel T due to fuel draw issues.

I still have the engine and airplane. I always wanted to put a regular 90 size four stroke on it, but never happened.

Besides I had so much work into building the Acro Sport that I am really nervous about flying it.

It's a shame you can't buy kits like that anymore.
Slopemaster is offline Find More Posts by Slopemaster
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:58 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
814 Posts
Oh Yeah, I remember now. My memory is not quite what it use to be. I did get right that it was a bipe and a Saito Twin though. LOL. Those were fun times. I finally lost my Aeromaster Bipe to a mid air with Don Apostalico. The fuse is OK, but the wings were toast. Never got around to rebuilding it. My quarter scale Bucker Jungmeister Bipe is still awaiting color dope. I started scratch building it over 30 years ago. Maybe it is time to finish it. LOL

The older I get the less drive I have to get things done. Besides, I have a basement full of planes to fly of all kinds. Don't have much room for more. I have given away a few, and sold a few, but they just seem to multiply like rabbits.