HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:02 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
20 Posts
Discussion
Most realistic / best simulator for dynamic soaring?

Which simulator do you guys think does ds the most accurately?

One can ds in CRRCsim and Picasim but they don't really have realistic scenery and you are getting what you paid for. (more than you paid for actually, they're pretty good for freebies)

FS One V2 and Realflight 7 at US$ 129 & US$ 120 respectively are the main contenders. Aerofly RC7 is a fair bit pricier... I'm leaning towards FS One, with its aerodynamic input from Michael Selig, but the others could be as accurate. As said, I'm looking for the most realistic sim, including turbulence.

Thanks
Richard
Sailplane Nut is offline Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:49 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,166 Posts
Best one I have ever used is a JW60.
Simulates everything perfect right down to the noise it makes when hitting the ground and the claps and cheers from the crowd.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Apr 14, 2014, 06:50 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,248 Posts
Ha ha ha , that's a good one Mick. Mine was a reaper.
He's right nothing beats the real thing. You shouldn't have a problem in NZ some of the best sites around there.
airtimeasto is online now Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:50 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
289 Posts
I've used both CRRCSim and Picasim both on a PC with a spare futaba controller configured the way i fly etc. And Picasim seems to me to be the better of the two for a bit of fun/practice.

Bare in mind that a sim is just that - a sim - and far, far, far from reality. I see a sim as a bit of fun on a rainy day if you're bored; or perhaps something to help when you've never dipped into the darkside and need a bit of help getting used to the orientation and getting a rough feel for flying circuits. But, it will never even come remotely close to actually flying on the backside on many levels.

The best practice is on the hill in a light wind with a light model with someone who can point you in the right direction.
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Apr 15, 2014, 02:44 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,373 Posts
I used to use RealFlight, but as Asto says, we get so much wind here often, that I just head up the hill instead, like I did today for 20min of flyin
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:04 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
I haven't tried them all, but I've yet to see one that realistically simulated turbulence, and an
ever changing shear line. The best DS sim I've flown so far is basically like Parker on a good day,
which means you can pull the elevator back and hold it for 3 laps before touching the ailerons.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:19 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
20 Posts
LOL! Yeah Mick, I'm currently campaigning a JW60, and am fortunate to occasionally fly with some of the best. But I do want to practice more than I can get out. This video from the first release of FS One demonstrates ds over flat land using the wind gradient. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627224 So I'm sure the newer release will be even more realistic.
Sailplane Nut is offline Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Old Apr 15, 2014, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,144 Posts
Best sim I have seen is Alex's small electric foamy 3 feet of the deck holding at 45 degrees.
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:11 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
4,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSELECTRIC View Post
Best sim I have seen is Alex's small electric foamy 3 feet of the deck holding at 45 degrees.
Suprisingly is good practise. Not exact to the real thing but teaches holding bank angle and the effects of the line taken if the bank angle is wrong. Speed depends on throttle setting so you can slowly work up the speed as you get the line more sorted
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:16 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,144 Posts
+ great fun passing around the transmitter.
AUSELECTRIC is online now Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC