HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2013, 06:13 AM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Mini-Review
AOMWAY RX004 32CH 5.8G VRX with builtin DVR

Hello,

Please find my unboxing/review video of this very nice new VRX. It's not a perfect product but I would advice this product to any new FPVist and/or of you are boring to have two seperate modules, especially for lite fpv ground station.

I bought mine at BG at :

http://www.banggood.com/AOMWAY-FPV-5...-p-910151.html

Unbowing and review: AOMWAY RX004 5.8 Ghz VRX with built-in DV recorder (12 min 2 sec)

EDIT (22/12/13)
In the video I did 2 mistakes:

I did a mistake about the corresponding frequency bands between the RX004 and the RC832 and I also notice a bug in this list :

Boscam RC832 Aomway RX004

FR1|band A [5865-5725] (decreasing) FR1|Band E [5705-5945]
FR2|band B [5733-5866] FR2|Band B [5733-5866]
FR3|band E [5705-5945] FR3|Band A [5725-5865] (increasing)
FR4|band F [5740-5880] FR4|band F [5740-5880]

So differences come from band A and E for both VRX.

I also find another problem. My VTX was on 5885Mhz, so I should select on the aomway the channel 15 according to the written list. For this selection no transmission, I had to select channel 12 corresponding to 5685Mhz. It means that at least for FR1 of the aomway, there is a problem in the printed list.

I also make another test with a class-10 SD-card. Transmission while recording is more fluid but not yet perfect even when using a special SDcard formatter program

PRO
- Cheap 32CH VRX (around 65 USD)
- Good sensibilty
- Remove "blue screen" for any LCD
- Beep activation when switch on and when pressing any band/frequency selector buttons
- Including a DVR in D1 format (720x480) with good quality of the compressed video. Accepting up to 32G micro-SD
- Including 2 set of videos-RCA cables (1 male/1female)
- Can be powered by [2S-6S]
- Firmware can be updated via the micro-SD card

CONS
- Printed frequency list is buggy
- Transmission while recording is slowing down (In my point of view from 30fps to 15-17 fps, but still usable for fpv). What's a pity ... --> almost solved with last firmware, up to 22 fps
- Time stamp can't be desactivated (as far I know) even when no sd-card is inserted. Can be a problem when overlaying OSD informations --> solved with last firmware
- Can crop external border for some Goggles. Can hide important OSD informations --> almost solved with last firmware
- Can't collect RSSI information through audio channel for some antenna tracker
- Image less precise than with Boscam VRX (seems a low-pass filtering is applied on image)
- Sound level too high and is saturated
- No playback buttons (play, RW, FW). Can be very useful if you lost your RC models in order to read the last GPS informations

Total score : 10/20 (for the RX004 V1.0 and initial Firmware)

=> 14/20 (for the RX004 V1.0 and last Firmware (common for the RX004 V1.0 and V1.1))

PS1. I will try with a 3S lipo of maybe the slow down is linked when using a simple 2S.

PS : I am not a professional reviewer and as you will see not an english native speaker.

EDIT : 01/10/2014. I flashed the given firmware and all major bugs are (almost) solved !!!!!.
EDIT 01/15/2014. A new firmware is availble centering image a little bit better and cropping effect less important but still present a little bit (somethink like 4% is still lost)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 15/02/2014

AOMWAY sended to me an upgraded version of the RX004 correcting major issues of the first release. Thanks to them. Physically, the new version is exactly the same and no external sign to recognize them. Only the PCB have been changed to have a direct link of the VRX on the AV2 output. I don't know if AOMWAY recalled all former models or if some RX004 orignal version are still sold.

EDIT 20/02/14 : Max from FPVSTYLE PM me to say that have in stock the upgraded version :

http://www.fpvstyle.com/index.php/fp...r-w-cable.html

Here is my review with this "upgraded" version of the AOMWAY RX004 (that I will call V1.1)

Upgraded AOMWAY RX004 review and tests (5 min 30 sec)

Via an easycap module, I directly recorded the live videos from two VRX : the Boscam RC832 and the AOMWAY RX004 V1.1.
With this setup, I can quatify/measure if the "slowdown" bug have been solved or not

Test of the upgraded version of the AOMWAY RX004 (V1.1) (4 min 24 sec)

This video is comparing the quality of the builtin DVR vs the HobbyKing SD-DVR. For beeing honest, I also compared with the re-encoded file of the HK SD-DVR via the "super" sofware (instructions in the HK files section)

AOMWAY RX004 upgraded DVR quality versus HK DVR quality (1 min 51 sec)

Notice also that the frequencies list written on top are now corresponding with the selected ones

PRO
- Cheap 32CH VRX (around 65 USD)
- Good VRX sensibilty
- Remove "blue screen" for any LCD
- Beep activation when switch on and when pressing any band/frequency selector buttons
- Including a DVR in D1 format (720x480) with good quality of the compressed video. Better than the ASF format of the HK SD-DVR. Accepting up to 32G micro-SD
- Including 2 set of videos-RCA cables (1 male/1female)
- Can be powered by [2S-6S]
- Firmware can be updated via the micro-SD card

CONS

- Sound level too high and is saturated on playback videos.
- No playback buttons (play, RW, FW). Can be very useful if you lost your RC models in order to read the last GPS informations

Total score : 17/20

I am very very happy with this new version. It will replace my combo RC832 + HK SD-DVR
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Mar 28, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:07 PM
Aleksandr
Russian Federation, Moscow, Moskva
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
I use MyFlyDream Autopilot and MyFlyDream antenna tracker. and have bought this "masterpiece" of receivers...

1) my antenna tracker doesn't recognize video signal from Rx. If I use boscam 305 Rx - antenna tracker works fine (red Rx led on my antenna tracker is off, saying "no data for tracker", but I see clear picture in my googles...)

2) Receiver makes fat black border around the picture. I have important OSD info in the conners of the screen: consumption, RSSI, total distance - this information is covered by black border so I can't read it. See the picture. Everything outside red line is cut bu receiver and I can't see it in my googles

3) I also have fps drop down when I record video. FPS drops down from 23 to 7-10... I power Rx using 3S lipo

so I think 12 of 20 is too high. this Rx is waste of money and is useless for me. 0/20...
mwnn is offline Find More Posts by mwnn
Last edited by mwnn; Dec 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnn View Post
I use MyFlyDream Autopilot and MyFlyDream antenna tracker. and have bought this "masterpiece" of receivers...

1) my antenna tracker doesn't recognize video signal from Rx. If I use boscam 305 Rx - antenna tracker works fine (red Rx led on my antenna tracker is off, saying "no data for tracker", but I see clear picture in my googles...)

2) Receiver makes fat black border around the picture. I have important OSD info in the conners of the screen: consumption, RSSI, total distance - this information is covered by black border so I can't read it. See the picture. Everything outside red line is cut bu receiver and I can't see it in my googles

3) I also have fps drop down when I record video. FPS drops down from 23 to 7-10... I power Rx using 3S lipo

so I think 12 of 20 is too high. this Rx is waste of money and is useless for me. 0/20...
Good to have your feedback too. For your 3 points:

i) Did you mod your RC305 to output the RSSI ?... Coz I can't understand how an antenna tracker can collect this information directly on the video signal (except if OCR is performed on the broadcasted VTX+OSD). Sorry, I don't have any antenna tracker, so I am nob in this field.

ii) I didn't observed any cropped image on my LCD display. I will double-check this point. Maybe it's coming from your goggles... Anyway it's good to know that this pair seems to be not compatible.

iii) I will try to measure the exact number of fps during recording. For me it's much more than 10 .

Anyway it's not a bad VRX 0/20 it's hard for sure not 20/20....
If they improved all these con points in a next release ...
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:40 PM
Aleksandr
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
Good to have your feedback too. For your 3 points:

i) Did you mod your RC305 to output the RSSI ?... Coz I can't understand how an antenna tracker can collect this information directly on the video signal (except if OCR is performed on the broadcasted VTX+OSD). Sorry, I don't have any antenna tracker, so I am nob in this field.

ii) I didn't observed any cropped image on my LCD display. I will double-check this point. Maybe it's coming from your goggles... Anyway it's good to know that this pair seems to be not compatible.

iii) I will try to measure the exact number of fps during recording. For me it's much more than 10 .

Anyway it's not a bad VRX 0/20 it's hard for sure not 20/20....
If they improved all these con points in a next release ...
No I use everything stock. my antenna tracker gets information from audio channel
FPS - I see slideshow but not video... it's unacceptable
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
No I use everything stock. my antenna tracker gets information from audio channel
FPS - I see slideshow but not video... it's unacceptable
On this point I agree 100% with you ....

I plugged my easycap module on PC to record the PAL signal outputing from this VRX. You can notice the framerate is dropping when recording (timestamp runing).
Anyway, with my easycap module, the videofile recorded got the black border as your mentionned. So basically, there is a problem of format 4:3, 16:9 somewhere

AOMWAY RX004 slowdown when recording (0 min 55 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 23, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:37 AM
Aleksandr
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
noticed one more "feature":
I use chanel 4 on boscam band E (5645Mhz).
But receiver shows me picture from my Tx when I set 2-nd or 7-th channel on 1st band (5685Mhz and 5925Mhz)...
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
noticed one more "feature":
I use chanel 4 on boscam band E (5645Mhz).
But receiver shows me picture from my Tx when I set 2-nd or 7-th channel on 1st band (5685Mhz and 5925Mhz)...
Definively, the list of frenquencies is buggy .... or their internal selection system is buggy ....
Old Dec 25, 2013, 06:21 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
That's bad...
This could be a great product if they fix those issues.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:19 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
That's bad...
This could be a great product if they fix those issues.

Definitively .... they deserve to fix all those issues ... and it will be the perfect product ...No they should also add a USB port to collect directly videos files and it will be perfect.

Whatever as you can see in my differents videos, for FPV beginners, it's not a bad product .... and the slowdown is quiet limited .... Most of OSD allow you to dispatch informations according to some patterns. I am sure, you can have some avoiding this chronometer.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
As with similar DVR products it would be great if the firmware code of the DVR would be open sourced.

With that we could easily customize it and improve it in a much faster and easier way.
I'm still hoping that some maker see the benefit in it, similar to what happen in the RC radios and the 9X and the er9x firmware.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 01:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
As with similar DVR products it would be great if the firmware code of the DVR would be open sourced.

With that we could easily customize it and improve it in a much faster and easier way.
I'm still hoping that some maker see the benefit in it, similar to what happen in the RC radios and the 9X and the er9x firmware.

I agree .... for example one feature would be to display video RSSI ...Would be a great feature ...
Old Dec 26, 2013, 06:17 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy View Post
I agree .... for example one feature would be to display video RSSI ...Would be a great feature ...
+1 to that. Started doing that on my vRx's.

Did you happen to open your vRX to see the DVR instalation?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 07:56 AM
Aleksandr
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
Supplier of my receiver answered my questions:
"It's already known that the RX has firmware compatible issue.The black border, and lost our tracking VBI data. We are working with Aomway to solve that problem."
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
Quote:
+1 to that. Started doing that on my vRx's.

Did you happen to open your vRX to see the DVR instalation?

Not yet ....

Ok I will take some photos in that sens
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Dec 2012
2,841 Posts
I can read the ref of the chip :

STK2520BL00

V 1.2 2013/09/09 ....

I don't like those kind of bubbles on the chip .... Hope it did'nt burn ...

And definitively, the image is cropped compared to RC832/RC905....
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Dec 26, 2013 at 11:50 AM.