HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2013, 07:49 PM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10FLYR View Post
Nice, I love using squeeze clamps instead of bolts, even on my big molds/splashes.
Two words.

CLECO Fasteners.

You will never bother with bolts or clamps again. I have been using them on mold shells for years and years. Fast, cheap, secure.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:21 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,074 Posts
Glad to see you back!

Get well soon!
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:42 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesimmer View Post
Today I cleaned up the molds and test fitted them all together. So far so good. I cut out the inner access areas to look at my options for joining. tomorrow I will layup a set for test and evaluation. I'll make this pull thicker for rigidity to test fit the tail and wings, firewall etc. I think that the first pull will be done in four sections with the rear section having a lip formed to join it to the front. I want to make sure that I get a perfect fitment so this way will give me full access to the seams.

So tomorrow another two coats of wax then PVA and start laying cloth.
a newbie question: i tried to scan complete this tread and also your suggested b1Bomber's link and all videos. I also tried various other threads also, but can not understand, how to construct inside the halves (e.g. IMG_1083.jpg) once all the halves are fitted (closed) with parting planes?
drpiyush is offline Find More Posts by drpiyush
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:19 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,784 Posts
Not sure of your question but I think that you mean laying up the skins. You have two mold halves that you lay up with cloth and resin. Then you trim the edges. Once cured bolt the mold halve together then add tape into the seams.
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:45 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
130 Posts
I think, it explained me the basics. But I'm still little confused.

Quote:
.... laying up the skins. You have two mold halves that you lay up with cloth and resin...
means that, both (or sometimes more) halves will be prepared without bolting, right?

Then once it cured in part(s), trim the edeges (@ parting plans)
Quote:
... bolt the mold halve together then add tape into the seams.
... the parts of the whole pieces will be aligned with help of bolting system. At this point, you mentioned to join using tape. Will you please explain which type of tape to be used? still the main question is yet persists: how I can tape inside the piece at the seams using tape, when the whole piece is bolted and packed?

is there any video showing the lay ups, or at least showing the process you said after triming the edges?

Thankx in advance.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:08 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
130 Posts
ok. after reading your reply, and choosing some keywords from it, i googled. I found this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653549

one clue i realized(?) that there will be at least one open gap (eg like the wing mouting space) necessary to tape the seams, right?
I'm still reading that post agin to understand more.

Still hope It will always better to understand if i will find any video on it.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 04:26 PM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
1,784 Posts
Its very difficult to explain these procedures and to be honest I just do not have the time. B1 Bob thread is chock full of videos showing just about every way of building a composite model. Sorry if I cannot be more help. You are correct though. When we design molds we have to think of how to attach all the bits. So I usually do it through the canopy area and wing opening. For jets you can also go in the rear end. I have attached a link to my large Eurofighter build thread. This model was a real challenge to design and build. It has a lot more detail on mold making etc.

FYI... The mold halves alignment is not done with the bolts but with built in alignment dots/pins.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831924
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Feb 15, 2014, 03:25 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
130 Posts
Thanks a lot for these inputs and the thread. Everything is very informative perticularly for newbie like me.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 05:57 AM
Cleveland
Joined Aug 2002
254 Posts
Go to the this thread on this page, it will explain it all.
JIM CALDWELLA is offline Find More Posts by JIM CALDWELLA
Old Feb 16, 2014, 01:37 AM
India, GJ, Bhavnagar
Joined Jun 2009
130 Posts
Thank you all for above suggestions for my newbie questions. Apart from those, i also found
How To Mold Fiberglass & Composites. 7 of 8 (9 min 32 sec)
where my confusion was partial cleared after 7min 54sec.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:44 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
533 Posts
That whole series of videos from Fibreglast products is pretty nice. They are a bit dated but explain everything really well.
cbarnes0061 is online now Find More Posts by cbarnes0061