HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 03:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,387 Posts
Because he has TV (which means directed power= a HUGE bonus control)... and large elevators... and tailerons....
A real F-22 has something ike 45deg Elevator capability, but the FlyFly had more like 25deg = not enough to get out of it. Same for the F-35, and F-4 really.... neither had huge throws
You would need an amount aproaching able to 'bite' the high angle of airflow. 25deg out of 80deg would probably not be enough to do much - and apparently isn't.
I probably could not MAKE a plane high alpha like that if I wanted to... for the exact opposite reason - not enough pitch authority to even get it there and HOLD it, in the first place. But if it does get there, then it can't get out of it.

You could see it wallow along, the wings 'wagging' as any Roll move was counteracted at some equilbrium point to go back the other way... on and on as it flew along... and my Aileron use did nothing to exceed that 'turn back' point.
There is something about the profile it presents to airflow that makes it do that... in Roll and in Pitch. It needs a 'strong' (enough) force to beat that 'zone', and you don't have that. Not in the control authorities I had anyway.
Control authorities that were fully adequate for brisk manouevers, loops etc. More than enough to fly 'normal' and X amount beyond.

The F-35 was 'fixed' simply by using a far more forwards CofG and then there was never an issue again.
The F-22 never had a chance to investigate and rectify as that is how it flew right away, and was destroyed. But its clue was that I had run a VERY rearwards CofG intentionally.
The F-4 flew perfectly before and after CofG moves - just that bit obviously tail heavy on the last CofG test flights.
That is more than enough information, and planes that did it, to show a link.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts