HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Atm I have just soldered a MAX7456 on a breakout-board for initial testing (and the necessary components).
(3 SMD-caps on top left, crystal under the PCB, a few resistors etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
It's pretty much the basic schematic suggested in the MAX7456 datasheet. Ac-couling of video-signal, 75-ohm impedance on input and output, some pull-up resistors on LOS, H- and V-sync and I2C connections to a microcontroller. I don't have the schematic on this computer and would like to confirm the design before showing anything more specific.
Dennis,
Just curious if you got this working well - I'd love to see it running
Rick
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Just updated the PCB-design. Had to change the crystals in order to keep the same footprint and make space for I2C, PPM-input, voltage-regulator and some extra caps
As I see, you're not interested in audio output for transmitting data to earth?
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:20 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
81 Posts
I really like these open source projects! Especially for OSD, as most commercial ones make the screen extremely cluttered. Now I can make it look exactly how I want it!

Dennis: Does your new OSD design handle 4S lipos? The Simple OSD design from Flytron has voltage dividers that handles 14.8 V, but many other OSD boards just handle up to 3S.
XDreamer is online now Find More Posts by XDreamer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:40 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Amidst these other PCB related posts, I'm just going to say that as of today mine is finally adequate to be sent for manufacture.

https://github.com/Legot/OSD-Board
Sounds great
Just order some boards and let's see them in action! Perhaps you will get yours up and running faster than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickEis View Post
Dennis,
Just curious if you got this working well - I'd love to see it running
Rick
Sure thing.. The solderings looks a bit messy, but the SMD-components (resistors and caps) is connected directly.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDreamer View Post
I really like these open source projects! Especially for OSD, as most commercial ones make the screen extremely cluttered. Now I can make it look exactly how I want it!

Dennis: Does your new OSD design handle 4S lipos? The Simple OSD design from Flytron has voltage dividers that handles 14.8 V, but many other OSD boards just handle up to 3S.
The on-board regulator on the Arduino can't handle 4S without getting pretty hot. Can't tell you if it will get too hot, but I would suggest using a 5v BEC/UBEC connected directly to Arduino Vcc. The voltage-divider resistors should just be changed to match you input-voltage and you should be good to go
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2010
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
The on-board regulator on the Arduino can't handle 4S without getting pretty hot. Can't tell you if it will get too hot, but I would suggest using a 5v BEC/UBEC connected directly to Arduino Vcc. The voltage-divider resistors should just be changed to match you input-voltage and you should be good to go
I just thought it would be a simple fix as the Simple OSD can handle 4S:
http://www.flytron.com/pdf/SimpleOSD_OPEN.pdf
With this board you need only two cables (GND and 14.8 V) going directly from the lipo to the OSD board to both power it and to monitor the voltage.

I'm really interested in this new design, because the original design makes text on bright surfaces really hard to read. The DimOn and DimOff is nice, but if you dim to hard it obscures the image too much.
XDreamer is online now Find More Posts by XDreamer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:16 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDreamer View Post
I just thought it would be a simple fix as the Simple OSD can handle 4S:
http://www.flytron.com/pdf/SimpleOSD_OPEN.pdf
With this board you need only two cables (GND and 14.8 V) going directly from the lipo to the OSD board to both power it and to monitor the voltage.

I'm really interested in this new design, because the original design makes text on bright surfaces really hard to read. The DimOn and DimOff is nice, but if you dim to hard it obscures the image too much.
I'll bet SimpleOSD also gets quite hot if you run it with 4S and use the onboard regulator to drive GPS etc. The regulator on Arduino Nano is bigger as far as I remember, but I don't like me equipment getting too hot.

SimpleOSD also uses resistors for voltage-divider. Only difference is, on SimpleOSD they are already soldered on the board, here you have to do it yourself (see battery-circuit 1 and 2, no magic here).

MAX7456 is not DIY friendly, so I'm not quite sure what to do with the project..
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:27 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Feb 2007
125 Posts
hey Dennis... another great project, awesome work buddy. Are you working on a decoder/does one exist for the Rx to allow data to be used on the ground?

Does anyone know if a decoder is being developed for the MinimOSD? Now that these OSDs [at just $20] & the arduflyer boards [at $89] have been tested & are working well, all we need now is a low cost decoder to grab the data - is anyone here working on this?

Cheers,
Wolf
wolfaroo is offline Find More Posts by wolfaroo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:35 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
hey Dennis... another great project, awesome work buddy. Are you working on a decoder/does one exist for the Rx to allow data to be used on the ground?

Does anyone know if a decoder is being developed for the MinimOSD? Now that these OSDs [at just $20] & the arduflyer boards [at $89] have been tested & are working well, all we need now is a low cost decoder to grab the data - is anyone here working on this?

Cheers,
Wolf
To decode the normal output from MinimOSD, it would require some more advanced picture-analyzing. Someone showed it done here at RCgroups (can't remember what OSD it was made for), but it required a computer or similiar as the analyzing requires quite some CPU-power.

As you don't have full control with the output-pixelson MAX7456 it's not straight forward to hide information in the signal and send data.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:46 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2008
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
To decode the normal output from MinimOSD, it would require some more advanced picture-analyzing. Someone showed it done here at RCgroups (can't remember what OSD it was made for), but it required a computer or similiar as the analyzing requires quite some CPU-power.

As you don't have full control with the output-pixelson MAX7456 it's not straight forward to hide information in the signal and send data.
OCR was done for RemzibiOSD as far as I remember:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560086
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338452

I've tried to make it for cl-osd, but couldn't get reliable recognition mostly because of transparent background:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1824
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1871

I think it would be easier to make it as audio output using this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=48

I mean, it would be best to separate output to screen and output to ground, so you could control what to pass where.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:50 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Feb 2007
125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
To decode the normal output from MinimOSD, it would require some more advanced picture-analyzing. Someone showed it done here at RCgroups (can't remember what OSD it was made for), but it required a computer or similiar as the analyzing requires quite some CPU-power.

As you don't have full control with the output-pixelson MAX7456 it's not straight forward to hide information in the signal and send data.
Is it not possible to decode the video signal [ala Eagletree] rather than picture analyzing (IIRC the one you refer to was flipflap who ended up using rembizi)?
wolfaroo is offline Find More Posts by wolfaroo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:13 AM
Just another user
Dennis Frie's Avatar
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfaroo View Post
Is it not possible to decode the video signal [ala Eagletree] rather than picture analyzing (IIRC the one you refer to was flipflap who ended up using rembizi)?
As far as I know Eagletree hides the information in the first couple of video-lines that's not actually used for video. But I'm not quite sure what hardware they use.

It can be done with the DIY OSD-project in this thread, as you have complete control with pixels, timing etc.
But it haven't been done yet.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:28 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Feb 2012
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
Just a little off-topic - mainly cause msev wanted to see.
I tested a MAX7456 OSD-chip yesterday and designed a little PCB today.

~3 cm x 4.5 cm, and the GPS from flytron should match nicely on top


- and a quick software-version written yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLinu...layer_embedded
Wow !! looks very good and very interesting. Do you plan to share a schematic and code or are you going into production or ? Again, very interesting !!!!
RickEis is offline Find More Posts by RickEis
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
IceWind's Avatar
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
As far as I know Eagletree hides the information in the first couple of video-lines that's not actually used for video. But I'm not quite sure what hardware they use.

It can be done with the DIY OSD-project in this thread, as you have complete control with pixels, timing etc.
But it haven't been done yet.
There was a thread were this was been done using your OSD as base to send the data. Not sure what's the current status. I was testing as well but stopped some time ago.

One good base of hardware is the Lynce system from the Spanish guys. They do the same and provide the hardware used. The parts is a video sync (LM1981 i think) and a comparator (LM393).



I admit I got the parts to try and decode the ET signal, but as I ended up buying there EagleEyes station I had no longer need to do it.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Jalves is doing some work on this kind of "video-telemetry", hope he succeeds !
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
Stick banger
Ace4's Avatar
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
As far as I know Eagletree hides the information in the first couple of video-lines that's not actually used for video. But I'm not quite sure what hardware they use.

It can be done with the DIY OSD-project in this thread, as you have complete control with pixels, timing etc.
But it haven't been done yet.
I always assumed they are just using closed captioning standards, for NTSC it stores the data in line 21. I'm not sure about PAL. Obviously the throughput is very low, but I would think it would be enough to get down lat/lon/alt at 0.5 - 1 Hz.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Diy osd karl k FPV Talk 2 May 03, 2011 12:31 AM
Idea New DIY OSD? atari7202 FPV Talk 1 Mar 25, 2011 12:08 AM
Discussion see my own diy OSD video Passion Aerial Photography 7 May 27, 2010 01:28 AM
Discussion REAL homebrew DIY OSD - Check it out! jafoca FPV Talk 8 Jun 29, 2009 06:52 PM
Discussion picoOSD DIY PIC12F683 based OSD in C kbosak FPV Talk 6 Jan 31, 2008 07:47 AM