HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:23 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre View Post
Where/how is everyone mounting their balance weight? Haven't flown it yet but it doesn't feel like it has much power. Another brick? Is the F-86 a better flyer?
What battery size are you using? Your best best is rather adding deadweight to balance your model is to slightly increase your battery size.
For example . if you are using a 350mah, go with a 410mah.

I assume you are using 2S - yes there's isn't much wind out of the EDF but it does fly! My F-86 is way above the "105g" stated by the manufacturer - more like 118g I think but it flies quite well despite this. It's not a floater though, I usually fly at no less than 75% throttle - and mostly 100%. I use full throttle for all turns other wise it really starts to drop the nose. I've had a few stall spins when I was first setting it up - mainly due to a tail-heavy condition.

It's not terribly speedy however it's good enough and perfect for local parks where airspace is at a premium. The other thing is the EDF isn't noisy at all so another positive attribute that makes it flyable within suburbia.
Slaanesh is offline Find More Posts by Slaanesh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:17 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,509 Posts
18A? Poor battery!

52 - I wouldn't carry lead, a bigger battery as Slaanesh said. At least it's useful weight.
Also - 3s. Minimum. I can't imagine how lethargic this would be on 2. Launching would not be fun either!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Jul 26, 2011, 03:54 AM
Network Gnome
United States, WI, Dunbar
Joined Jun 2008
59 Posts
HK didn't have an ETA on F86's, so I swapped out for the Mig-15, and they sent it to the warehouse today. Hopefully it'll be on the way shortly. I figure since I don't really like the Mig i'll be more forgiving if I dork it a few times, and it'll just serve as extra parts for when the F86 comes back in stock and I place my F-22 upgrade order.
SonicRaT is offline Find More Posts by SonicRaT
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:44 AM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
35mm Mig 15 ARF w/radio as offered by BH. Box says it's 350 2s. Seems to put out 1/3 the thrust of my 50mm on 3s. But they claim it'll fly? Yeah I aagree maybe 3s needs to be shoehorned in. Then I suppose I would have to upgrade ESC as well. But, would like to try it stock as purchased. Folks I read are having marginal luck with 2s.
52Sabre is offline Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:47 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,509 Posts
BH - never heard a good thing about them!

As reference, I'm using 4s 360's, so just under twice the weight in lipo. Strike3 is flying with even more weight in batteries than that.

Do you have a 3s 360 or 410 lying around? Might be worth testing that too, in case 2s doesn't work for you?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:14 AM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Yep, seems more stable and predictable with the 3s 610... the 3s 460 is still very good when there is less wind and the 3s 360 needed a small ball bearing in with it to combat the breeze last weekend.
It will fly... only just with 2s if you keep the weight down but is doing slow circuits really flying anyway... forget the 2s go with 3s at least...

Or if you do go with 2s... use a decent size battery with at least 25c like the one in this video, then it will fly OK...
NitroCharged's Micro Mig15 on 2s (3 min 9 sec)
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:55 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
you guys are way beyond me. I want to fly this thing with the battery & ESC it came with. Which the box says is a 7.4 350mah (15c)li-po. It has a connector to match the stock esc. I'm reading folks are smoking the stock esc with 3s. So I would have to upgrade that as well. And then would it connect to the stock micro receiver? Don't want to spend any more money right now. I just want to see it basically fly as it is and not interested in aerobatics or speed runs at this point. I don't know what 15c or 25c means. As I progress I will no doubt be more tuned in to your wavelength. Book says to balance it at 43mm from wing root. Does that jive with what y'all have found in at the field? I'm sure there are thousands of these sold to people that don't read these forums that are doing just fine with a basic 2s setup.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 04:26 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,509 Posts
If you're keen to run 2s, make sure they're quality cells. The video above way on Hyperion, which seem to do the job nicely.

Balance point I've found where the servo wires go into the fuse, or maybe 1mm forward, to be pretty good. Best of all, it's easy to check - no ruler required
Old Jul 26, 2011, 05:07 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Thanks. yep that's pretty much where I've got it balanced as well. Maybe 4-5mm ahead of that. External tanks are installed. Now sitting the Mig aside so I can assemble the F-86. Book on that says 59mm from wing root. Sound right? Like to have both birds ready at the field.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 07:25 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
52Sabre:
I would try to balance these little birds as close as possible to the places indicated. They seem to be correct.
Certainly not further back, especially not on the F-86. Mine is right on the 59mm mark on my F-86.

I flew mine this morning. My battery was cold and I had trouble launching my model. The cold battery makes the voltage drop and as a result less thrust as the motor isn't turning as fast. However once it was going it was a joy as there was no wind at all.
They do fly on 2S but you want a good quality battery and you will find that you will be pretty much on full throttle the entire time.

On 2S, a weak throw isn't going to cut it when launching. You need a pretty decent throw - but - very important - keep the wings flat. I throw it at 30degrees or so elevation and that gets it away okay. Once on "step" (at speed), it flies very nicely.

Keep your flying S-M-O-O-T-H with nice wide turns on 2S - sharp turns will lead to loss of speed, dropping the nose/wing and nasty stalls.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 08:36 PM
I don't want to land yet!
Joined Jan 2010
1,500 Posts
Good advice Slaanesh...
52... The c rating is the amount of power discharge the battery is capable of delivering
Strike3 is offline Find More Posts by Strike3
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:40 PM
Melbourne
Joined Feb 2009
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike3 View Post
Good advice Slaanesh...
52... The c rating is the amount of power discharge the battery is capable of delivering
The wattage that a battery is capable of discharging is based on it's 'C' rating multiplied by its capacity.

For example a battery which is 1000mah capacity and a 10C rating should be able to deliver 10,000mah or 10A.

The 35mm EDFs draw about 4A or so. Using, say, a 400mah battery it would need to be rated at least 10C. Generally you want well over the given 'C' rating of a battery. 20C is common though better batteries will be 25C.
Some batteries give two sets of 'C' ratings - constant and burst. You really just want to look at the constant rating.

However all this 'C' rating stuff is also a lot of marketing hype. Marketers love putting big numbers on their products!
A batteries REAL performance is given by it's internal resistance - which is seldom stated - however can be easily measured with a multimeter. Some LiPO chargers also have it notably the iCharger series.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Avionics tech
Joined Jun 2011
1,897 Posts
Thanks guys. Li-po 101! F-86 balanced out w/tanks mounted. Required the same 7g under nose as the Mig. Taking your advice then, when I begin to get disapointed and/or bored with it. I'll pull the nose weight, re-balance with a 3S pack and a higher rated ESC. I'll also drop the tanks. And really start boring holes in the sky!
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:27 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,086 Posts
Are there any options for replacement (upgrade) motors for this little guy??

What have people found to work?
bluemeane is offline Find More Posts by bluemeane
Old Jul 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemeane View Post
Are there any options for replacement (upgrade) motors for this little guy??

What have people found to work?
The stock motor can handle 4s. So, no need to upgrade the motor.

If you want to use a different motor, the only one that I think will fit is the 1015 which is always out of stock and not nearly as powerful.
MegaTesla is offline Find More Posts by MegaTesla