HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by deckert, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:26 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
Discussion
Yahoo baby!

Just bought a new bird from an RCG member tonite. I'm just a sucker for general aviation birds. Mostly old timers because I learned to fly in a J-3 and had to transition into a Cessna 150 because it had radios in it. None-the-less, I still like the Cessna lines so here it is. High wing craft offer a great view below you while in flight. I never did like flying the Piper Commanche or Cherokee, I was always looking at the darn panel and WAY ahead of the bird. I felt claustrophobic.

Now the ultimate question, fuel or electric power. I hate decisions like this. Worse is, I'm SERIOUSLY considering stripping the covering and adding retracts to it. I just haven't figured out how to get the main gear to retract and fold into the fuse like a Cessna 210 does. It basically folds back 90 degrees and rotates about 45 degrees. I'll take any advice/links anyone can offer/provide. I still swear It would be cheaper to be a drug addict.

Dan

I forgot to add, 63"WS and 6~7lbs. http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1228.html
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by deckert; Dec 07, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:05 AM
Wannabe Flyer
United States, IL, Decatur
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
glow no retracts looks goods as is thats my advice for you
MUSTANGP51LOVE is offline Find More Posts by MUSTANGP51LOVE
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:46 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSTANGP51LOVE View Post
glow no retracts looks goods as is thats my advice for you
Arrgghh, yer killing me Mustang. I'm SO TORN between glow and electric it's just killing me. The nose gear needs an oleo in it for scale looks don't you think? It looks like the retract option is a mute point because of the complications. I love fuel for power and electric for simplicity. I hate fuel for cleanup and storage. I have the lipo packs for electric. I detest decisions like this.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Christmas is hereby Cancelled!
Old Dec 09, 2010, 07:40 AM
Wannabe Flyer
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
upgrade the front wheel to a robart strut with a shock you know? also i agree with the simplicity of electric thats what i only fly if you got the stuff for electric go with that i just love the sound of glow....how about going with s small gas engine?
Old Dec 09, 2010, 02:18 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
mustang, I'm going with a Saito .56. I'd have to hack to much up to get the lipo packs in. I am worried about that motor being enough. The mfg. calls out for an OS .52 4 stroke. Now on to Robart to find a nose gear setup.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Flyer
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
i'd go with something bigger just for some zip and zap when needed but that should work fine
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:03 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
I may well have to step up in size. I figured I'd try it and see. Wouldn't be the 1st time I made a dumb decision. Probably be spring before I even get it built. Weather is cold and nasty.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2010, 04:32 PM
Wannabe Flyer
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
good luck keep the updates coming