HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
15,877 Posts
Best method is to match things to whatever transmitter the module was intended to be installed in.
I would have thought that the default 22.5 msec/300usec would have been close to standard JR. Could be a problem/flaw with the Orange module, since it was reverse engineered.

To be honest - IMO you would have been better off with a DX4e module than the unknown Orange one. Does it have an FCC number for example?

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 16, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post

So is it worthwhile starting a RCG 9X All Models, Eprom Sharing Forum? Or, am I having a senior's moments, lost my Googling skills and it all ready exists somewhere?
There is a link after your post to a topic in the 9x forum that contains templates for gliders. For a beginner with the firmware I think they can be a bit complex so we have extracted a template that we use for a F3J glider and it is available from

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59957156/F3...0template.eepe

also a writeup explaining what it means

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/59957156/F3...structions.txt

If you think it could be useful you are welcome to use and modify it.

The formatting of the text document is crap - if anyone knows how to fix it........
mpjf01 is online now Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Hello everybody.

I just have a quick question for you all, I have bought a LiFe battery to use in my TGY 9x TX, 'ZIPPY Flightmax 1800mAh 9.9V 5C LiFePo4 TX Pack' from HobbyKing.
But I've read that I need to change the discharge plug that is on the battery to the one that the 8bettery holder is using. That isn’t a problem it’s a simple swap.

My question is how do I charge the Life once I solder the new plug onto the battery?
I've read all the discussions on the HobbyKing thread and tried to YouTube, but I'm still confused as hell. I'm trying to find an adapter that I can use for the plug but I can’t find anything at all and I’m completely at a loss :s

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dl4uvpd5...QE7J72oS/1.JPG
This will be the 'Discharge plug' that will be on the battery once I do the swap.
*edit*
Even if somebody can tell me what this Discharge plug is called, I can try and search for a male/female set to make my own adapter. I can't even find the name of the plug the 9x uses.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3dl4uvpd5...97iN7q2C/2.jpg
This is the battery that I had bought. It only has a Discharge plug and a Balance plug.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance.
-mdem
mdem is offline Find More Posts by mdem
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
707 Posts
Change the discharge plug to match the Tx - the Tx socket is 3 pin and you use the left 2 pins looking at the Tx from the back, left pin is neg. The plug you need is a 2s balance plug - HK sell them as 2s balance lead extensions and you just cut off the plug and solder the wires. There's probably somewhere you can buy the balance plug separately.

You will still need to use the balance plug on the battery when charging and you will have to make a socket for the discharge plug on the charger (from the other part of the 2s balance lead extension).
Last edited by mpjf01; Nov 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01 View Post
Change the discharge plug to match the Tx - the Tx socket is 3 pin and you use the left 2 pins looking at the Tx from the back, left pin is neg. The plug you need is a 2s balance plug - HK sell them as 2s balance lead extensions and you just cut off the plug and solder the wires. There's probably somewhere you can buy the balance plug separately.

You will still need to use the balance plug on the battery when charging and you will have to make a socket for the discharge plug on the charger (from the other part of the 2s balance lead extension).
Hello, So the Turnigy 9X just uses a '2s Balance plug' as its power source plug?
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:54 PM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Yes... but be careful of how you're reading that. It is, in fact, a 2s balance plug (precisely it is a JST brand/knockoff model XH, 3-pin)... but don't just go plugging your battery in and hoping for the best! The plug is right, but the wiring is 99% of the time wrong!!

DONT FRY YOUR RADIO like so many others have just because the plug fits!

For the 9x's power port (which again is the 3-pin socket counterpart to the balance plug) you have power in the middle and ground to either side. That's NOT how most batteries are wired!

- Steven
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Yes... but be careful of how you're reading that. It is, in fact, a 2s balance plug (precisely it is a JST brand/knockoff model XH, 3-pin)... but don't just go plugging your battery in and hoping for the best! The plug is right, but the wiring is 99% of the time wrong!!

DONT FRY YOUR RADIO like so many others have just because the plug fits!

For the 9x's power port (which again is the 3-pin socket counterpart to the balance plug) you have power in the middle and ground to either side. That's NOT how most batteries are wired!

- Steven
So your saying make sure the red/black wires match up with the plug I'm taking from the AAcell holder.
Mine is like this, Ground|___|Power|____|Empty.

I'm looking for some 2s Balance leads but Hobbyking are out of stock, and LHS are charging anywhere from $2-5 each ~.~
Will have to think of something lol
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
Registered Loser
Canada, BC, Central Okanagan H
Joined Jun 2010
3,224 Posts
Yeah... the ground can be on either side (confirm with a meter... you'll see the two outside pins are connected internally).

Alternatively, as was recently pointed out to me, if you get this very popular and very suitable LiFE battery, you can simply use the black servo-style connector that's already on there. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered messing with the wires! Its already the "correct" way for the 9x. And it does fit well... I tried.
s_mack is offline Find More Posts by s_mack
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
So your saying make sure the red/black wires match up with the plug I'm taking from the AAcell holder.
Mine is like this, Ground|___|Power|____|Empty.

I'm looking for some 2s Balance leads but Hobbyking are out of stock, and LHS are charging anywhere from $2-5 each ~.~
Will have to think of something lol
I just cut the lead of the included AA battery pack and put a servo plug on the end of an extension lead. Did the same on the battery side. obviously one is male the other female.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
Yeah... the ground can be on either side (confirm with a meter... you'll see the two outside pins are connected internally).

Alternatively, as was recently pointed out to me, if you get this very popular and very suitable LiFE battery, you can simply use the black servo-style connector that's already on there. Had I known that, I wouldn't have bothered messing with the wires! Its already the "correct" way for the 9x. And it does fit well... I tried.
I wanted to buy this, but at the time it was not in stock, so I just thought I'd get the Zippy pack.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I just cut the lead of the included AA battery pack and put a servo plug on the end of an extension lead. Did the same on the battery side. obviously one is male the other female.
Hello, I just wanted to make sure I understand you correctly.
I draw a simple diagram to show you what I think you mean, is this correct?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkg80a6k13e2jtv/3.JPG

Would this kind of setup be ok the plugs are sturdy enough to handle the power going through it?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdem View Post
I wanted to buy this, but at the time it was not in stock, so I just thought I'd get the Zippy pack.

--

Hello, I just wanted to make sure I understand you correctly.
I draw a simple diagram to show you what I think you mean, is this correct?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bkg80a6k13e2jtv/3.JPG

Would this kind of setup be ok the plugs are sturdy enough to handle the power going through it?
Yes that's the way I did it. The Tx uses much less power than running your Rx, and 4 servos etc so no need to worry about that.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Oct 2012
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Yes that's the way I did it. The Tx uses much less power than running your Rx, and 4 servos etc so no need to worry about that.
Oh great thank you so much, that saves me so much money. I already have a charge lead with a servo plug on it, and plenty of extra extra extension wires I can cut up when my LiFe battery finally arrives.

Thanks
-mdem
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:59 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,776 Posts
Mdem, you may want to check out this recent thread for charging non-Nixx Tx batteries.
'How do I Charge that?'
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:38 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
707 Posts
This is the item I was referring to. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9735

Currently on BK but they come in every week or so. Or you can PM me and I'll send you one. You cut it in half, connect the socket to the charge lead on your charger (not the balance lead) and the plug to the battery. Ignore the colour of the wires in the lead. Connect the negative battery terminal to the left wire on the plug as it sits in the radio and connect the positive wire to the centre wire on the plug. Cut off the 3rd (right hand wire) on the plug making sure that what's left can't short on anything. Then make sure that you observe the same polarity when you connect the socket to your charger charging leads. The battery you have is a 3s so you can't connect its balance lead to the Tx as it has 4 wires in it even if you wanted to (and you don't).

The plug is the correct plug for the radio socket and you can't get it in the wrong way round.

You will have to disconnect the battery plug from the radio socket every time you charge it because the built in charge socket on the 9x isn't connected to anything. And of course you also need to connect the battery's balance lead to the charger. This plugging and unplugging increases the risk of error and is why it is wise to use the correct plug.