RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Lol...does $85 include the camo scheme? Really excited to see how this unit sounds and performs....never seen an EDF design like this one!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Hampton, VA
Joined Mar 2009
1,202 Posts
NC,

Dude, what are you on! Can I try some. . Seriously, $85.00 is kinda STEEP. You're not trying to sell Aussie Swamp land, are you?

Ksqm
ksqm is offline Find More Posts by ksqm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:19 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Bret, I'm going to go over the design one more time to make sure I have not missed anything and then she goes to print.

Blame Shapeways - it's going to cost me over 100 bucks to get it to my doorstep......
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
NC,
For that price your a good way towards getting your own home 3d printer and bypassing shapeways altogether!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:37 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
I know.... I spent a good part of last night trying to find a cheaper online 3D printing service that could print "ultra detail" but no go. It also led to me investigating all the 3D printers out there and pricing at the moment too.

Maybe it's time to open a local 3D print shop like they are doing in Europe? I hear Staples are going to do it across America soon as well.

So many ideas - so little money....
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
It'd have to be some pretty impressive specs to shell out $85 for something that small! Im having a hard time figuring out how its that much from shapeways, when i have some large items (6"x6"x3") that are not much more than that in price from shapeways.

Speaking of which, there are some other places similar to shapeways that have lower pricing as well.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
I guess your model is priced in white strong flexible plastic material. Try upping the quality to frosted ultra detail and let me know how it goes... The bazooka would only be 20 bucks in white but I need the high quality and thin wall thickness of the FUD.

I searched for a fair while trying to find another 3D printing service that did FUD but couldn't find one, so any links would be great.

I'm thinking of ordering the casings in WSF and see how much the cost would drop. I'd have to change the file and reduce the internal wall diameter just a tad to allow me to polish the internal walls though. Worth a try me thinks.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
2,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
I guess your model is priced in white strong flexible plastic material. Try upping the quality to frosted ultra detail and let me know how it goes... The bazooka would only be 20 bucks in white but I need the high quality and thin wall thickness of the FUD.

I searched for a fair while trying to find another 3D printing service that did FUD but couldn't find one, so any links would be great.

I'm thinking of ordering the casings in WSF and see how much the cost would drop. I'd have to change the file and reduce the internal wall diameter just a tad to allow me to polish the internal walls though. Worth a try me thinks.
I did the High-detail option (i've got items .060" in diameter) and it was around $165-185 or so.. maybe the smaller diameter is harder than my larger parts (with small portions) and that is the reason for the pricing.. either way, your stuck with what they tell ya..

quickparts.com is one place I looked into, they were somewhat cheaper (5% maybe)
http://i.materialise.com/
http://www.sculpteo.com/en/
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:25 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Neither i.materialise or sculpteo do 0.3mm wall thickness unfortunately.

It's the Bazooka casings that are bumping up the price. Splitting the internal and external parts has brought the price down by over 20 bucks but I don't get the smooth internal walls I am after. I'm thinking of skinning the internal walls in finishing epoxy. I did this on my micro fans and it worked a treat.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:09 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,509 Posts
Given that's just a tube, why not mould them?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:47 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,147 Posts
Hi Ody, mainly because they are not 'just a tube'.....

They have parts welded into them that is a little different to what's out there at the moment. I had to separate it all to get the outer housings and shapes apart from the internal ones.

I may just go for the full FUD for the sake of powering my EL with the best I can give it.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Between all our modeling needs we should buy a good 3d printer, split the costs and overtime reduce our part costs....imagine what we'd think up...I'll throw in!

On a side note the Electrolyte has another 4 flights under its belt at Markham Park in southern Florida. It was great flying with JFetter, hoser, Pablo and Rob Lynch. Pablo flew the last flight of the day on the Electrolyte. He did a great job on the sticks and provided some very good feedback. He really liked the "sport" power system. It was also nice to stand back and watch someone else fly the model. Thanks again for meeting up Jack!
Last edited by pdawg; Feb 20, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:09 PM
Team Horizon/ BVM jets
Joined Apr 2006
797 Posts
Well a couple of days ago Brent showed up to field with his prototype Electrolyte. I was really impressed with this model. His layup and fiberglass work is outstanding. I have some experience in what it take to produce a model. Brent's work is top notch.

What was a great surprise and treat Brent walk over to me and handed me the transmitter and asked me "want to fly it"? I was like duh!!! YEAH!!!! Well I can tell you guys it flys as good as it looks. Wing loading is pretty light. The sport power setup is outstanding. I've owned several Electras, Bandit, and ebandits. This little model has almost exact flight characteristic. So I guess I'm going to have to get one too. Thanks Brent for letting me fly it.

Pablo Fernandez
pbusa1400 is offline Find More Posts by pbusa1400
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2004
5,365 Posts
Pablo,
Great to have you in the thread and thanks for taking my Electrolyte for a test spin. The encouraging feedback from the local modelers in the heart of BVM country was really nice. Pretty soon Jack will have his Electrolyte flying at Markham. I heard some talk about 4s so it sounds like he is interested in going fast. 120 mph is the current record (360 mph scale electra speed) and it could probably be passed fairly easily with the updated power systems.