HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:48 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
That's correct. The first number is diameter and the second is pitch per revolution.
Thanks for the info. Anyone know what the spec is on the prop that comes on the BH Sky Surfer with the brushless outrunner upgraded motor? Also, what's the motor rating on the brushless motor that comes standard on the Sky Surfer from BH? It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in the is thread but I don't recall seeing it.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:53 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Thanks for the info. Anyone know what the spec is on the prop that comes on the BH Sky Surfer with the brushless outrunner upgraded motor? Also, what's the motor rating on the brushless motor that comes standard on the Sky Surfer from BH? It's probably already been mentioned somewhere in the is thread but I don't recall seeing it.
It is supposedly a 5x5. I can take a pic of mine if you want. As for the motor, I'm not sure anyone knows for certain. I would guess it's about a 2000kv. It packs a decent punch at full throttle with a 6x4 and I would estimate my maximum horizontal speed to be about 45 mph perhaps more.

I have not used the 5x5 but the general concensus is the SS runs better on a 6x4.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:56 AM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkumagai View Post
It is supposedly a 5x5. I can take a pic of mine if you want. As for the motor, I'm not sure anyone knows for certain. I would guess it's about a 2000kv. It packs a decent punch at full throttle with a 6x4 and I would estimate my maximum horizontal speed to be about 45 mph perhaps more.

I have not used the 5x5 but the general concensus is the SS runs better on a 6x4.
I haven't got mine together yet, but will fly it with the stock prop first. I assume the 6X4 prop will still keep the current draw less than the rated stock 20A ESC? If so, I'll have to try a 6X4 after I get use to the plane.
Last edited by Hayabusa Heli; Jan 31, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:21 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2011
196 Posts
I bought a kit so I had to purchase my electronics separately. I got a 40 amp turnigy sentry esc. It's a little overboard for my setup but it runs cool because I'm not maxing it out. I would guess that a 6x4 peaks the stock motor around 20 amps. Your esc will probably work fine if you keep it cool and use full throttle sparingly, something you should do anyway. You will probably want to run your esc outside of the fuselage or have some vents for cooling.

I'm amazed at how efficient the stock motor is. My maiden flight was 8 min on a fully charged 2200mah 3 cell and it still has 4.09 volts per cell. Granted, I was mostly cruising at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle most of the time because I was taking it easy but at that rate I could fly for almost an hour! I flew into the wind a lot so that also helped keep me aloft at low throttle.

Edit: Oh, and balance that 5x5 if you use it and go with an apc when you upgrade to a 6x4. I have 5 props, two TGS 6x4s 2 stock 5x5s and the apc 6x4 I use. The TGSs were so out of balance I refused to use them. The 5x5s are better but require a little weight on the light blade to balance them. The apc was damn near perfect out of the package.
Dkumagai is offline Find More Posts by Dkumagai
Last edited by Dkumagai; Jan 31, 2012 at 01:37 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:08 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,207 Posts
My 2200kv 2628-6 Turnigy motor is awesome
30a ESC, 23a and 265w
Bixler goes really well with this combo
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:20 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,835 Posts
That reverse thrust with the motor has been tried. From what I remember it was a disaster. The model just dropped out of the sky.
This is/was an option with the Graupner Rookie and the supplied ESC.
I have flaps on my Bixler and for me they work well.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:45 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Sep 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
That reverse thrust with the motor has been tried. From what I remember it was a disaster. The model just dropped out of the sky..
Not a disaster at all, as long as you remember the basic laws of flight. Reverse thrust will reduce the forward speed of an aircraft. To compensate for that (and still retain a speed that allows the wings to work) you will have to put the stick foward. Your rate of descent will be pretty high. The reverse thrust will probably have to be of a low value to retain control, but that IMO is fine.

I would love to try it out.
Flaps 15 is offline Find More Posts by Flaps 15
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:27 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
That is the thing you do not want to use reverse thrust to just stop you dead in your tracks and fall like a rock, you want to give it just enough to slow you down to just above stall speed if using it as a brake. Correct me if I am wrong but this is something airliners do to slow down as well. (Maybe just on the ground?)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
That is the thing you do not want to use reverse thrust to just stop you dead in your tracks and fall like a rock, you want to give it just enough to slow you down to just above stall speed if using it as a brake. Correct me if I am wrong but this is something airliners do to slow down as well. (Maybe just on the ground?)
Real planes only use engine thrust reverser on the ground to help slow the plane down once on the runway ... helps to keep the wheel brakes from doing all the work too.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:42 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Real planes only use engine thrust reverser on the ground to help slow the plane down once on the runway ... helps to keep the wheel brakes from doing all the work too.
I worked on an experimental small plane that had a reversible propeller, and an analog computer hooked to the controls. It was sometimes reversed in flight to help the plane act like a larger, harder-to-handle plane that would have been much more expensive to fly. It was used to make a small plane respond like, say, a B-52 bomber, for training purposes.

You've got to be VERY careful using reverse thrust, if only because it can be a VERY powerful force that can easily be overused. That, coupled with the fact that an airplane will abruptly fall out of the sky (stall) if it is slowed beyond a certain point, dictates extreme care in using reverse thrust while airborne.
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Jan 31, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:48 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited flyer View Post
Sounds fun to say,{reverse thrust},it would not be the same as a variable prop, but then again, you guys know that right.Now correct me if i am wrong but I am pretty sure that no one makes a prop capable of producing thrust in both forward and backwards moving motors{NOW WE ARE TALKING ONE PROP FOR BOTH DIRECTIONS RIGHT{sorry not yelling}
Here is some nice reversible prop action. Pretty amazing.
Now I do not know up to what size the make them, but they are out there. I know I used them when I was flying the real thing. MU-2 was amazing, could stop in no time at all!! A bit too expensive foor my plane!
If anyone finds one for the Skysurfer/Bixler size aircraft please post, Thanks.
Tobias Arndt VPP Hepf Yak55M (1 min 52 sec)
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Last edited by Lafayette; Jan 31, 2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:53 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I did some research and though not used in the US there are larger jet engines that use reverse thrust just before landing, as well as various vpp planes that use reversing as well.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
Here is some nice reversible prop action. Pretty amazing.
Now I do not know up to what size the make them, but they are out there. I know I used them when I was flying the real thing. MU-2 was amazing, could stop in no time at all!! A bit too expensive foor my plane!
If anyone finds one for the Skysurfer/Bixler size aircraft please post, Thanks.http://youtu.be/k18pOsg10nM
Helicopter with wings. LOL.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:13 PM
'scuse me while I kiss the sky
Joined Nov 2009
551 Posts
I do not know about the rest of you, but personally I think the Bixler decals are not so pretty. The Skysurfer is a bit Better, but so generic...
Now with all that HK advertised on the Bixlers, They should pay us to fly them!
Just started painting my wing. Top is red with white and will get pinsrtipe blue.
The bottom will be navy blue, whith some Silver stripes and detail.
Pretty soon there are going to be so many of them flying at clubs everywhere, and a custom paintjob might be the only option to be able to tell your plane apart in the crowd!!!

When I am done with the paint I will post pics.
Lafayette is offline Find More Posts by Lafayette
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
5,637 Posts
This HobbyKing one is their smallest with a 7" prop but it would be less powerful than the stock EasyStar Speed400 on 2S I would think.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6296

The difficulty with reverse thrust on an EasyStar/SkySurfer/Bixler is the limited prop clearance. They tend to be larger dia to fit all the mechanics in. That and I have never seen a specifically pusher variable pitch system and I'm not sure they are symmetrical - that is give full thrust in both directions. No obvious reason why not. Someone may know.

For a simple thrill a reversing (boat) ESC would be a lot easier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafayette View Post
If anyone finds one for the Skysurfer/Bixler size aircraft please post, Thanks.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604