Old Sep 01, 2015, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,938 Posts
Discussion
PSS control linkage: what should I buy?

Well I'm not quite ready to start a build yet, but I have an opportunity: the local hobby shop is closing it's doors (owner retiring) and everything is 40% off. So I thought I'd buy up some parts knowing that I want to scratchbuild some 48" PSS planes. I'll be shooting for some lighter builds, in the range of the light Airacobra build or some of Rubio's lightweight builds.

So looking for some advice on what to look for in the way of control linkage parts....what size clevises, control rods, ball links, etc. you're using. Part numbers, descriptions, rod sizes wold be a huge help. They carry Du-Bro and another brand I've already forgotten. I saw stuff in either 2-56 or 4-40 thread. Any suggestions are appreciated. Whatever you think I might need.

What are you guys using to make torque rods for aileron or elevator? Size? Is it all-thread, or smooth rod with one end threaded? Music wire?

I might as well buy some supplies while it's cheap. It's a drag he's shutting down, it's the only place in town, and nothing else within reasonable driving distance once he's gone.

Thanks.

- Jim
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2015, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by MaartenX
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
962 Posts
Jim most PSS linkages are best build from piano wire.
For elevator the much described TFLG linkage is commonly used.
The gauge of the piano wire depends on the size of the plane.

Your torque rods are best home made from piano wire and brass tubing. Same here, piano wire where the gauge of the piano wire depends on the size of the plane. Standard stuff like control horns are not commonly used, unless you want to use external linkages
( and run the risk of being heckled to no end )

Ball links can be used if you want to. My suggestion is to get different gauges of piano wire and brass tubing and make your own linkages. Since there is a sale, buy some clevises and ball links in different sizes. In the end they will be useful.

Hell they might even encourage you to start buiding a PSS ship

I have a perfect plan here for ya. A P40 that will fly on a bunny hill or light lift.

Good luck

Maarten
MaartenX is offline Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Sep 02, 2015, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by _AL_
Slow builder
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
1,428 Posts
Pretty much what he said.....

I use 2-56 on most things. Only 4-40 where it's going to be really fast or very large control surfaces. I prefer Sullivan clevis but they are hard to get here & Dubro are ok.

For elevators I use the TFLG method with Piano wire around the same thickness as 2-56 threaded rod or slightly thicker, with a brass tube that just fits over the 2 wires & soldered. Alternatively, I use a Dubro 1/2a horn if the surfaces are not separate.
For aileron torque rods I use slightly thicker wire, roughly 4/40 thickness but generally I use a separate servo for each surface with a 2-56 threaded rod & Dubro control horn.

Have a look at TFLG & Rubio's builds. They seem to have the 48" formula down to a fine art.Follow them & you won't go wrong.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Sep 02, 2015, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by JimZinVT
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,938 Posts
Thanks for the pointers guys. I will certainly be re-reading a lot of the build threads I have bookmarked before I start anything. I just needed a quick reminder so I could buy some stuff before the shop gets cleaned out. I stopped by after work and picked up a few things. A bunch of clevises and ball links, an assortment of different length rod threaded both ends, some of those "horn brackets" I've seen used on the aileron torque rods, and some 3/32" music wire. I stayed with the 2-56 size parts, it seems appropriate for the weight of the planes I want to build.
They were already cleaned out of servos.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT