New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by David_G58
Joined Jun 2015
6 Posts
Build Log
Mini Beechcraft Baron G58 - Opinions and suggestions appreciated/wanted/needed

First off a little background information (By the way, this is my first post and I have no idea if "Build Log" is the right category for this post since itīs technically not a build log but I havenīt found a better category for this ):

As you could already tell from from my name, my favorite aircraft of all time is the Beechcraft Baron G58 and I have been desperately tried to find any kind of easy to build (or to buy) foamie models of this beauty. Unfortunately, the only ones I could find were the absolutely stunning (but expensive) composite model from RC Aerodyne (scaleflying.com) and some sketchy foamies that you couldnīt even find any useful plans for
Then I also had to find out that there actually was a company that sold balsa plans (that you could kinda use for foamies) for the Baron 58P (which is virtually the exact same as all Baron 58s when it comes to itīs airframe). But that company, Marutaka, apparently went out of business a couple years ago
BUT I luckily found images of just that company's plans on this forum and thought: "... Yeah... that could work... maybe "

So here are some pictures of my Baron in itīs current state of building (I started three days ago and yesterday and today I wasnīt working on it at all since now itīs just about installing the electronics in order to be able to glue the "engine covers"/ motor mounts on and covering them like the nose with that thick paper. You can easily build this plane in one day, Iīm guessing about 3 hours max. from having nothing to having a flying Baron ( I could be terribly wrong though since time just flies when building ). )

Yes, I now that I kinda messed up the nose by making it that short and wide instead of long and narrower as it should be (but that is absolutely easily avoidable)

If anyone wants more information about this build or even a build log just tell me and I will do it Need (want) to build a new one anyways

Specs:

Wingspan: 75cm

Length: 52cm

Width (thickest point): ca. 8cm

Height (highest point): ca. 9cm

Weight (Airframe only, no electronics yet): 117g

Material: Fuselage+Horizontal Stabs+ Vertical Stab+"Engine"/Motor mounts/covers= 3mm Foamboard
Wing=5mm Foamboard
Windshield+Windows+Nose Cover= thick paper, white + blue

Estimated max. AUW: 260g

Motors: NTM Propdrive 1312 2600kv 42W

Servos: HobbyKing 3.6g, 0.12s, 0.45kg torque

ESCs: Turnigy Plush 12a, 2a BEC

Battery: 460mah 25C-40C nano-tech 3S
David_G58 is offline Find More Posts by David_G58
Last edited by David_G58; Jul 10, 2015 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Typos :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,157 Posts
First: Very nice build - your build skills are clearly good.

Not sure what your flying skill level, but I can tell you this: At just 75 cm span (about 30 inches), scale dimensions and a totally flat wing (no fold-over "Armin style" airfoil or KF airfoil) that plane will be quite challenging to fly. It's a twin, so its wing loading will be on the high side for that scale and those building materials.
I and others discuss the effects of small scale (Reynolds number) to death in other posts.
Since you're going to build a new one anyway...
Recommendations:
1. Double size (do a 60 inch span).
2. Make the tail surfaces proportionally larger than scale (I and others discuss this in other posts).
3. Do an "Armin" style wing with all the paper removed, CF tube spar, and covered in LIGHT packing tape. The effort is only somewhat more than KF style but the result is well worth it (both in looks and weight savings). If you don't know what Armin and KF are, do a search.

Basically, the goal is to lower wing loading and increase Reynolds number. The difference of doing your 30 inch (the way you have it now) versus a 60 inch (with my recommendations) is nothing short of stunning. The plane will be MUCH more pleasant to fly.
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by David_G58
Joined Jun 2015
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuteman View Post
First: Very nice build - your build skills are clearly good.

Not sure what your flying skill level, but I can tell you this: At just 75 cm span (about 30 inches), scale dimensions and a totally flat wing (no fold-over "Armin style" airfoil or KF airfoil) that plane will be quite challenging to fly. It's a twin, so its wing loading will be on the high side for that scale and those building materials.
I and others discuss the effects of small scale (Reynolds number) to death in other posts.
Since you're going to build a new one anyway...
Recommendations:
1. Double size (do a 60 inch span).
2. Make the tail surfaces proportionally larger than scale (I and others discuss this in other posts).
3. Do an "Armin" style wing with all the paper removed, CF tube spar, and covered in LIGHT packing tape. The effort is only somewhat more than KF style but the result is well worth it (both in looks and weight savings). If you don't know what Armin and KF are, do a search.

Basically, the goal is to lower wing loading and increase Reynolds number. The difference of doing your 30 inch (the way you have it now) versus a 60 inch (with my recommendations) is nothing short of stunning. The plane will be MUCH more pleasant to fly.

Thanks a lot I actually wanted at least a 140 cm (55.1") wingspan and I thought I set everything up properly but what came out of my printer was... quite a bit smaller I just thought "what the... well, why not, will probably look super cute"

I know it is gonna be quite twitchy, fast and just hard to fly (that worries me a bit to be honest :/ ) and I in fact wanted to make a KFm-2 airfoil but after a dry-fit onto the fuselage was done I realized that such an airfoil would look a little weird on this plane. The leading edge will definitely be sanded down though to allow for better airflow. I also tried to safe weight where possible and the estimated max. AUW of 260g is the calculated maximum weight plus 40g just to be safe
I have never build anything below 1m wingspan (Just because planes fly so much smoother with a larger wingspan) and this one was not supposed to be the exception. Iīm trying to figure out what went wrong with the plans in this very moment to start building the properly sized version (probably with an Armin Wing airfoil)

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions and Iīll definitely look up the "Reynolds number" Itīs always nice to know that a build you think looks good actually looks good
David_G58 is offline Find More Posts by David_G58