HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Oct 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Everyone needs a lot of planes so might as well get a Bixler which are cheap and fly good, even for FPV if you want to do it later. Not that you can not do it on a AXN. Wish I was just starting out now with all the good gear available and very cheap compared to the old days.

You say "I've set up an EXP of 50% on elevator because it reacts too swiftly to any minor changes."

There is something wrong with your setup of the plane or TX if the elevator reacts too swiftly. My EXP is set at 75% and the elevator is smooth. C of G can effect this but your instructor should have checked the C of G. When learning the usual thing is to have the C of G further forward of the recommended. See what others here say about the elevator.

My low Double Rate for the elevator is 95%. Perhaps you could go lower than that on the elevator. Also is your throttle range set right. I have not paid much attention to setting this over the years but if learning it probably needs to be set right. Maybe yours is set right.

You say "When I fly at 1/3 throttle the plane gets nose heavy and if theres a slight wind, It's hard to control. " That sounds like c of g too far back. As mentioned get the c of g further forward than the instructions or you are just not getting the nose down enough to keep up air speed for the throttle setting. This is extremely common with someone learning.

This bloke does a good comparison and he says in conclusion "Both are great beginner planes" but the Bixler is slightly better.
Another comment by someone "Blonds or Brunettes is the answer. It all comes down to personal preference".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WYSf...layer_embedded
When the elvator is at normal rate, every slight movement of the stick throws the plane up or down dramatically. After fixing the EXP, it is much easier to control.

The problem with the Cg is that the "manual" that came with the AXN doesnt say where it should be. It is currently located about 1cm from the wing rod.

I crashed the AXN so many times and glued it back together that now its nose is a bit crooked and not straight. maybe that has an effect.

I was also considering a Cub instead of a Bixler but these cost twice as much and I'm sure I will wreck my next plane as well, so I'm trying to avoid big spending right now.

And lets not forget the human factor , Maybe I need some more time to practice on a more forgiving plane. One that will not spiral like crazy when I move the stick too fast too far.
cropcircle is offline Find More Posts by cropcircle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:58 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
537 Posts
Tha AXN is NOT a good choce for a 1st plane. Neither is a Bixler.
If you cant cope wit the the AXN, you wont cope with a Bixler

Buy a hobbyzone Champ,or another trainer, learn the basics & come back to the AXN.
Ive got to admit, the AXN isnt easy to lanch
It also sounds like there is an issue with your setup, once in the air , the AXN is reasonably tame.
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropcircle View Post
When the elvator is at normal rate, every slight movement of the stick throws the plane up or down dramatically. After fixing the EXP, it is much easier to control.

The problem with the Cg is that the "manual" that came with the AXN doesnt say where it should be. It is currently located about 1cm from the wing rod.

I crashed the AXN so many times and glued it back together that now its nose is a bit crooked and not straight. maybe that has an effect.

I was also considering a Cub instead of a Bixler but these cost twice as much and I'm sure I will wreck my next plane as well, so I'm trying to avoid big spending right now.

And lets not forget the human factor , Maybe I need some more time to practice on a more forgiving plane. One that will not spiral like crazy when I move the stick too fast too far.
I'll give you details tonight on a plane that is in the cheaper range and you can not damage no matter how many times you crash it. That is a fairly accurate statement. My mate broke his in half when running straight into goal posts which was an easy fix. Mine would not break as I have strengthened mine.

Most will not recommend them for someone learning but you have had a few flights. Most will say it is too twitchy but is not if TX adjusted properly.

If you can not break it you'll eventually get a hang of it and it is my favorite plane that I fly combat with a mate every time we go flying. My second favorite is the AXN as I know I will not crash it now I fixed the c of g.

It is a fun "plane" which I know I will launch properly EVERY TIME. My mate even grabs the end of the wing and throws it up in the air spinning around to see if he can make it fly with out hitting the ground. It does not matter if he hits the ground.

You say " It is currently located about 1cm from the wing rod."
Is this in 1cm in front of the centre of the wing cover or somewhere else?

After having c of g problems with the AXN stalling and falling out of the sky I now have the c of g 3mm back from the front of the wing cover. I will never change it from there.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:43 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,339 Posts
Like mentioning the Bixler here this one is off topic so you can PM me if you want any further information and I can mention the appropriate threads.

But I guess you will not want more info as no one here will agree with me.

If you want a plane that is extremely crash resistant and extremely hard to break, no necessarily for a learner everyone will say but a plane you will want to fly forever.

It is a MiniSwift - not the HK one the real one. I have two one with LEDs for night flying and general flying and a FPV one. I used to just fly around in circles, loops, rolls etc but after getting the MiniSwift I got almost 20 days experience in flying in one day. This is because you can chuck it around a lot5 and you learn a lot.

Following are pictures of my two MiniSwifts - LED one and FPV one.

Here is a video of a good crash (not mine). I would not glue the motor on with hot melt glue.
MINI SWIFT CRASH TESTING EPP FOAM (1 min 20 sec)

But most will say they are hard to fly. I turn down the transmitter rates on everything much more than the AXN and reasonably easy to fly. My FPV one I just throw it and do not need to control it as it just climbs and stays level until it gets really high. (Must be something wrong with it) I learnt FPV on the MiniSwift and then moved on to bigger ones.

It turns corners great and will easily fly slow. It does not do wing tip stalls. Then people will say get a Bonsai fro HK. I think they are great and have FPV on it also but on turns it drops wings. Guess I need to work on it more and with a thinner wing will fly faster.

Like I said mine fly very smoothly until I flick to high rates for combat. My elevons hardly have much movement which allows them to fly good. So if you want something that does not smash try a MiniSwift.

Here is a video of mine when I first flew it and the push rods were bending. It is a bit long and boring but near the end I catch it 5 out of 5 times. (I cheated with the editing I did miss number 4) Once the push rods were fixed it flew great.
Mini Swift 19 June 2010.avi (5 min 40 sec)

As mentioned this is off topic so can not comment any more here on it but to stay on topic when you have experience flying go back to the AXN.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:32 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1101 View Post

Buy a hobbyzone Champ,or another trainer, learn the basics & come back to the AXN.
It also sounds like there is an issue with your setup, once in the air , the AXN is reasonably tame.
Great advice ... the Hobyzone Champ is a fantastic little plane and I think it sells for about $99 in th States. The trouble with the AXN and Bixler and other pusher prop power gliders is not that they are bad planes to learn on but more that, until you get the hang of flying they break easy and it is always a dissapointment. It takes time to fix it up and then you are twice as nervous to get flying again.

If you have calm days then get a Champ and fly it until the reactions come easy ... I myself got confidence to fly with the Champ and then learnt to fly ailerons with the AXN. I started out originally with a 1.4 meter pusher glider called a Phoenix - which I broke nearly every time I tried t fly it I nearly gave up but didn't want it to beat me ... Now nearly 4 years down the track I only crash about once a month .... but on the up side I have learn't a lot about glues and repairs

Main message for beginners ... don't give up ... when you finally get it all together it is a fantastic feeling.

Oh and have to disagree about launching the AXN ... it is a piece of cake either from the hand or from the ground ... but like all things you have to get a feel for it.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,326 Posts
Quote:

well it depend on the user + instructor, the axn is my first ever plane, i never flew a plane before the axn, my maiden was hand launched by my instructor after 1 packs and a near suicide landing i throw the plane with the guidance of my instructor, i have been flying it ever since, i have both bixler and axn for speed i prefer axn but for slow and carrying payload i'll go with bixler as it can carry more of my fpv gear which axn lacking of space for all of the gear, so axn for first plane is not that bad at all but maybe that just me
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
I also started with AXN, surely broke it countless time but got good at repairs. Very good for beginners, and it also glides and auto stabilizes itself.
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,356 Posts
Well .. i think i found out the cause of one of the issues im having with the AXN

as i said, last day i tried to fly it it went nearly very wrong (big save in a cliff) and it was like it was very out of CG and even putting the battery all way forward (wich must make it nose heavy) i needed almost full downtrim to keep it more or less flyable and still wanting to pitch up.

Well ... quite casually i figured out that problem was due to an utter silly thing:

trim increase

Im using a 9X radio with er9X firmware.. and i had the trim increase set to "fine" .. options are progressive, extra fine, fine, medium, coarse.

by defect it comes in progressive , wich i didnt like so i set it to fine.. aparently fine is so little with each click that almost full trim barelly moves the surface.. im acostumed to my old 7C wich has good trim increase with each click (same in the DX6i) so i tought that the 9X had to be using same trim amount.. wich wasnt.

Changed it to medium and now it works much better and had the plane trimmed with not much clicks.. its quite silly..

still it has its nasty habits since that big crash.. and rolling makes it develop nasty tendencies wich make it bounce a bit.. like if it had no aileron diferential .. but it has

Well at least is flyable.. and could log 1 hour more of fly time before closing the year..

by the way , how's been your flying year? 2012 has not been very good in fly days... my log shows 60 hours this year.. last year was 54hours since april .wich means this year i could fly a lot less than previous.. no wonder as all april and all novermber and big parts of other months have been nonstop raining (at least thats good for hidrolic reserves)
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:43 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Tha AXN is NOT a good choce for a 1st plane. Neither is a Bixler. If you cant cope wit the the AXN, you wont cope with a Bixler. Buy a hobbyzone Champ,or another trainer, learn the basics & come back to the AXN.
Ive got to admit, the AXN isnt easy to lanch It also sounds like there is an issue with your setup, once in the air, the AXN is reasonably tame.
I'd say that apart from the nasty habit of nose diving under full throttle launch, the AXN is a very good beginners plane.

If you follow the launch procedure (60% throttle, 30 degrees upwards launch, into the wind, possibly from an elevated point) posted previously, it should be a piece of cake as long as the CoG and rudder travels are OK.

Happy new year and happy landings
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
Well .. i think i found out the cause of one of the issues im having with the AXN....
ER9X (and probably other radios as well) has a cool feature for trim in the model setup page. This is copied from the ER9X Users Guide:
Trim Sw: Neat little function this is. When in flight if this key is activated it reads the current position of the sticks and trims and copies that into the subtrims. After that it zeros the trims. This is really neat for new models when you might have a hard time taking your hands off the stick and pressing the trims. Simply hold the plane level with the sticks and press the selected trim switch. Voilà – the plane is trimmed. It's magic! No it ain't. It's ER9x!!!
I have mine setup on the momentary TRN switch on the right side.

Hope this helps, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
ER9X (and probably other radios as well) has a cool feature for trim in the model setup page. This is copied from the ER9X Users Guide:
Trim Sw: Neat little function this is. When in flight if this key is activated it reads the current position of the sticks and trims and copies that into the subtrims. After that it zeros the trims. This is really neat for new models when you might have a hard time taking your hands off the stick and pressing the trims. Simply hold the plane level with the sticks and press the selected trim switch. Voilà – the plane is trimmed. It's magic! No it ain't. It's ER9x!!!
I have mine setup on the momentary TRN switch on the right side.

Hope this helps, Aus.

It works well but its a little hard to hold the plane level and use that switch at the same time. I normally just trim the plane as best I can then flick the switch. Then repeat.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
I already crashed my AXN! I got a total radio lockout using a flysky receiver. I knew I should have waited until the frsky arrived but I was impatient. It was full throttle straight down into the ground which was luckily covered in thick bushes. The nose is bent and the tail boom broke off, but all is fixable.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Dec 30, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I already crashed my AXN! I got a totally radio lockout using the flysky receivers. I knew I should have waited until the frsky arrived but I was impatient. It was full throttle straight down into the ground which was luckily covered in thick bushes. The nose is bent and the tail boom broke off, but all is fixable.
Sorry that happened. But everyone that learns to fly the axn also learns about elapor soup!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Sorry that happened. But everyone that learns to fly the axn also learns about elapor soup!
There's some sort of extreme interference where I fly. I almost lost my champ with another lockout, but I regained control just in time.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
The most annoying part about what happened wasn't the crash, but the fact that it will take weeks or a month for the frsky module to arrive (swiss post ems). I won't be flying for a long time, unless I can figure out a solution in the mean time.