HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
...The radius of the bends in the RDS rods will dictate the control throw. I will bend the rods to suit each surfaces required throw. This also provides full sevo resolution

Bends of 30 degrees will actually double the available stall torque of the servo!

The smaller the bend radius the more torque available...
Very nice build you have started here.

Can you point me to more info on what this RDS rod bending is? I have never heard of it before and would like to understand how it increases the stall torque.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2013, 05:26 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Hi Vettster! I have followed some of your builds over the years. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

A buddy and I did a mock up of the raptor today to get an idea of equipment placement before all the formers are glued in. It is good to have a second set of eyes check for problems. All seems to be going together quite well

Also tested the gears again. My friend was concerned that the actuators were struggling (he mentions this at the end of the vid) but when he tried to stop them retracting using his fingers he could not stop them . Wish I had video of that ! They do slow down and speed up at certain points due to the geometry of the gear

JL F-22 electric landing gear testing (1 min 26 sec)
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Last edited by crasha; Nov 24, 2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 06:11 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Very nice build you have started here.

Can you point me to more info on what this RDS rod bending is? I have never heard of it before and would like to understand how it increases the stall torque.
Hi RCvertt

I am no expert in RDS but have wanted to try it for a long time. It is usually used in scale warbirds or dynamic soaring gliders. I have never seen it used around here. I may need to test it first in an EDF.

You can purchase the couplers from servo city. Here is some light reading which explains how it all works. The rod bending I was talking about refered to the angle of the bend in the rod used for each surface

http://augiemckibben.tripod.com/site...IVE_SYSTEM.pdf

RDS overview (3 min 0 sec)
Last edited by crasha; Nov 24, 2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,245 Posts
Thanks for the RDS info. Very informative and looks like a good system to try out.

The gear on that raptor are looking fantastic. Good idea going with electric instead of pneumatic.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2013, 02:51 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Well I have put another 20 hours of work into the raptor without much to show for it

Most of the work has been composite reinforcing. The gear mounts are reinforced with kevlar and some carbon on the main mount. All the formers which have structural mounting brackets for wings/stabs have been laminated in fine fibreglass

Also had to fabricate some formers to strengthen up the joint in the fuselage (these were not in the kit!)

Starting to glue in some of the formers in the fwd fuselage section
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:51 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,245 Posts
Good work.
Are those white canisters for pneumatic air retracts? I thought we agreed to use electronic ones for my first flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:17 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
Good work.
Are those white canisters for pneumatic air retracts? I thought we agreed to use electronic ones for my first flight.

They are air canisters that will be used for the brakes. I will either plumb them in parallel for the brakes or maybe use one for a functional tailskid later on using one of the gear rams I have removed to operate the skid
Old Dec 27, 2013, 08:37 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2011
73 Posts
Nice build mate you are going to have one sick jet at whiteman.
Rob
jeta1 is offline Find More Posts by jeta1
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:15 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Finally back to this build thread. Lots of raptor work has been done, there was a huge amount of composite work done to the airframe. Gluing the formers in took weeks of test fitting to make sure everythig lined up properly!

For now it is being test flown in primer to set it up properly before going to all of the work of painting. I did airbrush the exhausts though so at least it sort of looks right
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:23 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Fuel tank set up. Two main tanks in parallel each with their own surge/taxi tank. Total fuel load 4 litres.

Taxi tank mounts are 3D printed
Last edited by crasha; Oct 15, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:29 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Wiring and turbine installation. For the maiden it flys in primer without the gear doors. The gear doors will use lado elec actuators when fitted
Old Oct 15, 2014, 03:38 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Ready to test fly! The maiden flight had a scary takeoff due to the elevator needing more up trim. In the air it flew perfect and needed no aileron or rudder trim which was surprising. On the maiden it was a little sensitive in pitch control. After adding more expo, reducing the throw and shifting the CG forward a few mm it is now rock solid!

Maiden flight vid

Jetlegend F-22 Maiden flight (8 min 42 sec)
Last edited by crasha; Oct 15, 2014 at 06:49 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:42 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
267 Posts
Vid of the 5th flight. Adjustments have been made each flight and it is almost setup. A few more flights and it should be perfect.

It was a great flight until I landed a little too fast in the cross wind. This is the first crappy landing the raptor has done and I am glad I went to the trouble of reinforcing the gear mount. No damage was done. I still need to work on the high speed ground handling and the brake settings

Jetlegend F-22 5th flight (7 min 2 sec)
Last edited by crasha; Oct 15, 2014 at 05:49 PM.