HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bud Morrison, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,458 Posts
That sure start puts out about 60w and did a audio tach at 12.6k rpm in the vid.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:55 AM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
954 Posts
My experience is that a reed valve 049 will fly up to around 22 oz very nicely if you aren't looking for much aerobatic performance. A TD 049 will fly a 20 oz. plane quite well with good aerobatics, and a 16 oz model will be very lively and capable. Even with a reedy, a 16 oz plane will fly very well.

Throttles giving a range from a nice easy cruise to full throttle have been available for Cox 049s for decades; I used one on my Cox QRC on the 20 oz TF Schoolmaster for training. I usually kept it throttled down some while I was learning. Today better throttles are available.

If no throttle, you can get mild flying on a 16-20 oz airplane with a reed valve by using a 7x3 to 7x4 prop. The engine can handle it fine and flights will be very scale-like. This was a common practice years ago, and the old 1/2A Texaco events had climb and glide competitions for this engine/prop combo. Typical weight was 16 oz; some were scale types, some were OT types.

If you don't mind a heavier, faster airplane, and want to be able to do touch and goes, as well as aerobatics, then an 09 to 10 would be great, and a 15 wouldn't add a lot more weight. A 16 oz airplane will go up to more like 22 oz by the time you add a stronger firewall, a motor mount and tank, along with the heavier engine.

If you want to keep it light, an 049 to 074 will fly it fine. A Norvel 074 is light, powerful, and it can throttle down to idle speed.

As I said before, it depends on how you want to fly it.

Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:09 AM
Now I have to land that thing?
United States, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Apr 2014
200 Posts
Griffin- two versions in article - 020 and 049
Looks hot and was designed for the size engine you are talking about.
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3108

If a warbird is still interesting to you, I think you could mod the griffin, go by its weight, dimensions, etc to design a Spit or something else.
PGregory is online now Find More Posts by PGregory
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:06 AM
Joined Apr 2014
200 Posts
2 other planes to gauge from -
lookup Pong Two and Marooney on outerzone, both by Randolph, and about your wingspan.
Cheers, PG
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:57 AM
Stupid Model...
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2014
84 Posts
I like that griffon. The marooneys pretty neat looking as well. Thanks for the info all. I think my spit will end up going electric and I'll look for a smaller spit for my 049.
The_LeadingEdge is offline Find More Posts by The_LeadingEdge
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:07 AM
Joined Apr 2014
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_LeadingEdge View Post
I like that griffon. The marooneys pretty neat looking as well. Thanks for the info all. I think my spit will end up going electric and I'll look for a smaller spit for my 049.
If you go electric make sure you put in a castor oil spritzer to slime your plane and stay in practice of cleaning up afterwards - ha!