HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:09 AM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
599 Posts
Alert
Aerotow for New Zealand members

After getting an email from Peter [scaleflyer] about Aerotowing I thought it a good idea to set up a thread just to deal with this part of our hobby.
Peter [scaleflyer] has got an email List on the way ,but there will be names added as people come on board.

The idea of the thread is anybody can put information on here to alert others of coming events,
videos/pics of past events,
any major club days,or just fun glider tow days on a smaller scale.

If you are building a new ship then you can use this site to give every body an up date and if you do a build thread then put the link in here.

Open for any other ideas that can be of use to others.

There appears to be considerable interest in Aerotowing so lets see if this can help.

cheers mintie.
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:22 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
aerotow events

Thanks for this Graeme. We want glider pilots and tug pilots to get involved so we can not only build up our fleet in NZ, but let fliers know where our events are being held. Also look on Model Flying NZ's website under Soaring and send your email to me so I can get you on the list as well. (jillhewson@xtra.co.nz)
Hope you can make it to the aerotow event at Burnham (CRFC) on 18-19 May.
Peter
scaleflier is offline Find More Posts by scaleflier
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:40 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Great stuff. Local build threads:

Graeme's Kirby Cadet: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677141

Allan's SHK: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1833531

Neal's 6m ASW 28-18: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1841632

WOO NZ's Diana 2: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842347
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:55 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Invercargill, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintie View Post
After getting an email from Peter [scaleflyer] about Aerotowing I thought it a good idea to set up a thread just to deal with this part of our hobby.
Peter [scaleflyer] has got an email List on the way ,but there will be names added as people come on board.

There appears to be considerable interest in Aerotowing so lets see if this can help.

cheers mintie.
Good job Mintie, have subscribed to this thread.
Heres a link I started some time ago (2009 - ), but it doesn't look like it stuck. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1148834

Cheers
Phillip C
(Invercargill)
philkiteflyer is offline Find More Posts by philkiteflyer
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:04 PM
Kaiapoi , New Zealand
Joined Jun 2007
599 Posts
Thats good Phil....this is the info we need on this thread.
Perhaps when you started that thread Aero towing was just in its infancy,and there wasnt that much interest.
But that seems to have changed and there is now a lot more interest in this side of the hobby.
I am hoping that people dont get put off because they dont own either a very large glider or tow plane.
I only tow with a 46 size Super cub, pulling a 3m ASW 20 and would encourage that, this size and any other also be part of the aerotowing scene.
cheers Mintie
mintie is offline Find More Posts by mintie
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:30 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2012
17 Posts
Southern fliers

Thanks Phil. I hear a lot from Alex Taylor from Gore and I know there are many others interested in Dunedin. How big is aerotowing in Invercargill?
scaleflier is offline Find More Posts by scaleflier
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:05 PM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Joined Nov 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleflier View Post
Thanks Phil. I hear a lot from Alex Taylor from Gore and I know there are many others interested in Dunedin. How big is aerotowing in Invercargill?
How big . . . . . lets just say that the two of us go to Gore.

No-one in town here is doing it, and I don't think they're that keen. Mostly just sunday fun fliers. Nothing wrong with that either

Phillip C
Old May 12, 2013, 03:29 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Hi guys,
The aerotow event at the CRFC field on 18-19 May (next week) is gaining a bit of interest. Here are the attendees as of yesterday:

Burnham 18-19 May

24 registered pilots!

1) Peter Hewson - Pilatus Porter Tug, Discus-2 4.5m
2) Alex Hewson - DG 300 4.5m, PMax F3J and Cobra + Tracer F3B models for Velcro-towing and on-line aerobatics
3) Alec Taylor - Pawnee, Wilga, Kirby Kite, Standard Jantar
4) Neale Blackie - ASG 29 5m
5) Dave Griffin - Cub and ASK-21.
6) Corrie Hoult - Radian pro, ASK-21
7) John Holmes - scale Olympia, smaller gliders (Velcro system)
8) Gary Palmer - ASG 29 5m
9) Graeme Phipps - Super Cub for up to 3m gliders
10) Kerry Oakley - Cularis 2.6m
11) Paul Hartley - Twotter Tug + aerial FPV footage
12) John Shaw - twitchy fingers + 6m Electric Brick
13) Jack Coker - 4.8m Sperber, 4.8m Reiher vintage gliders
14) Reg Williams - Discus 2.6m
15) Peter Deacon - ASW 4m, Pawnee, Kiwicon TD glider
16) Robin Sallabanks - Ventus 2.6m
17) Jonathon Gardener -1/4 Minimoa
18) Greg Clarkson - Electric glider, Pawnee tug (small gliders)
19) Ian Harvey - 100" Sundancer, F3B model
20) Richard Knott - Slopers for Velcro-tow
21) John Atkinson - Models for Velcro-tow
22) Graham Tully - ASK-21
23) Peter France - Scratcho
24) Basti - Aerial FPV Footage

A few guys are coming out, but don't have models to tow. Maybe some guys could lend a few? I am lending out the two F3B models and DG-300 for more experienced pilots.

Come and join us!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; May 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: List update
Old May 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Weather is looking good. A few more looking at coming that aren't on the list.

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lincoln_christchurch
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2013, 09:22 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
23 registered pilots with models for this weekend!

At least 12 4m+ models too!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2013, 04:54 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
A few photos from Burnham aerotow

The weather was not on our side for this meet but we managed to make the most of Saturday and there was plenty of flying done by both tug and glider pilots. Alec Taylor did a magnificent job all day with his 1/3 scale PZL Wilga tug, powering up to cloud base with gliders both large and small. Alec's rapid, steep descents and finely judged landings were a pleasure to watch, while the Wilga's scale undercarriage easily coped with the grass tussocks, gooey mud and mountains of sheep poo! Paul Hartley's Twin Otter electric tug was also impressive and was flown masterfully, even managing to cope with a glider that would not release as well as the blustery and turbulent conditions. Peter Hewson's trusty Pilatus Porter was also in action flown to great effect Alex - many thanks to both of you for organising another great aerotow meet.

I lost count of the number of gliders of all shapes and sizes that were flown, but my personal favourites were the vintage scale Rhonsperber, Minimoa and Reiher and they all coped well with the challenging conditions. Neal's awesome 5m ASG29 was impressive as ever and I understand several unsuspecting pilots had the Tx handed to them by Neal and were told 'you have control'! Neal allowed me to fly this model last time I visited Burnham and I was amazed how well balanced and yet responsive she was - great fun! Thanks Neal.
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed
Old May 19, 2013, 05:15 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
Thanks for posting pics! I never got a chance to get the camera out I was so busy!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2013, 07:39 AM
KISS_KeepItSimpleStupid
Joined Nov 2006
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbed View Post
The weather was not on our side for this meet but we managed to make the most of Saturday and there was plenty of flying done by both tug and glider pilots. Alec Taylor did a magnificent job all day with his 1/3 scale PZL Wilga tug, powering up to cloud base with gliders both large and small. Alec's rapid, steep descents and finely judged landings were a pleasure to watch, while the Wilga's scale undercarriage easily coped with the grass tussocks, gooey mud and mountains of sheep poo! . . .
Fishbed Why did you have to go and say that out loud? Alex will be unbearable now. He'll have to use the double sliding door to get into his house . . .his head would've swollen so much. I have to agree though, his towing is actually really good, and the wilga is a very nice plane . . . but we never tell him that, his head swells up and his volume goes up with it he he.

But seriously, looks iike the weather gods looked after ushere in the south on saturday . . .he he. That ground looks quite soft and mucky, the bits that aren't all over the Wilga that is. I am going to have to get my s#%t together and finish some gliders so I can come up and play with you guys sometime. Looks like fun.

Was that Jacks Minimoa?

Phillip C
Last edited by philkiteflyer; May 21, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old May 20, 2013, 07:51 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,710 Posts
There were several 1/4 scale gull wings there. I think 4 or 5. Jonathan flew the red one all Saturday
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2013, 04:14 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Hawkesbury
Joined May 2010
229 Posts
Phil
I'm not Neal
fishbed is offline Find More Posts by fishbed