HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
133 Posts
Quick visit

Allow me for a quick visit.

I have quitted this thread some time ago for cause of stupid and total destruction of my Yak. I bought a 750 mm Gee bee R3 as successor but have been unhappy with her because she was poorly set up (wrong COG).

But I have found a nice successor to the Yak and warmly recommend it to those of you who would be interested (not so good pilots ).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1063

All the best.
Speedy Gonzales is offline Find More Posts by Speedy Gonzales
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2014, 02:45 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
163 Posts
Nice to hear from you Speedy. Too bad GeeBee didn't turn out to be success.

I have scratch build KI-61 Tony project in the queue for winter. It has ~1m wingspan. I have fuse & wings which have been hot wire cut from foam, but should fabricate rest of the plane myself... It will be quite heavy & fast combat style plane.
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99
Old Nov 01, 2014, 10:30 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,764 Posts
I have two of those Eflite Zeros. Great flyers. One of my airframes must have over 300 flights on it. I actually wore out the motor. Just flew it last weekend three times. I use to fly it everyday until my work got really busy.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Nov 02, 2014, 01:19 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropcircle View Post
Just maiden the YAK-12. What a fun plane to fly !!!
I really like this plane. I flies very nice and with the flaps halfway down, land very smoothly.

During it's build one of the struts that holds the wing, got separated from its tiny plastic sheet that's supposed to be glued to the plane. I chucked it away, and only used one strut on each side.
To keep the wing sturdy I glued a 4mm carbon strip through it.
I also added some colored tape to help with orientation (I had to move and cut the wing decals for them to fit.

Here are some pics (before the strut fell off).
Nice job on the build.... I noticed that you customized the leading edge on the YAK (blue strip)...Is that paint or tape ? It looks good.

If it is either can you confirm ?

Thanks
drone19730602 is offline Find More Posts by drone19730602
Old Nov 02, 2014, 05:12 AM
Joined Oct 2012
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drone19730602 View Post
Nice job on the build.... I noticed that you customized the leading edge on the YAK (blue strip)...Is that paint or tape ? It looks good.

If it is either can you confirm ?

Thanks
Hi
It's tape. this tape:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ide_Blue_.html
cropcircle is offline Find More Posts by cropcircle
Old Nov 02, 2014, 06:56 AM
France, Brittany
Joined May 2013
40 Posts
I had the same problem with the strut tabs breaking off. I sorted it by shrinking a piece of heat shrink tube over the strut & remaining bit of tab leaving about 15 mm excess which I flattened & hot glued into a slot cut into the wing. It's survived lots of flights & seems stronger than the original tabs which have now all failed & been changed for heat shrink. I don't seem to be able to kill this plane
L Austin France is offline Find More Posts by L Austin France
Old Nov 02, 2014, 07:56 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropcircle View Post
Thanks Cropcircle.

Will look at getting it.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:34 PM
Joined Jul 2014
131 Posts
just ordered one should have it friday. Any tips for preflight mods or reenforcments. Thanks. Anyone use floats?
jh1985 is offline Find More Posts by jh1985
Old Nov 11, 2014, 07:47 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Sep 2012
156 Posts
Purchased these : http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Airplane.html

A little while ago. We dont have snow as some parts of the world up in the North Island .But thought that they would be a different spin on things.

JH1985 have you tried them. Might want to give them a go. Unless you are near a lake that freezes over ?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:39 PM
Finland
Joined Aug 2013
163 Posts
I've got same skis for Yak. Actually had them already for last winter, but it was so lousy (read little / no snow), that I didn't install them at all. Let's see if this winter will be better... At least I would be very eager to have opportunity to test them.
Late99 is online now Find More Posts by Late99
Old Dec 03, 2014, 10:02 PM
East Lansing, MI
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
First Post

I just wanted to introduce my Yak 12 to this forum. The picture is already outdated since I recently crashed into a lamp post and had to do some repair work. While at it I decided to do a few modifications, which I hope to report on in the near future!

The only change from the original setup in the picture is that I replaced the stock wheels (32 mm dia.) with slightly larger (38 mm) Du-Bro 1-1/2" Mini Lite Wheels, which look more scale.
baumi314159 is offline Find More Posts by baumi314159
Old Dec 04, 2014, 08:47 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumi314159 View Post
I just wanted to introduce my Yak 12 to this forum. The picture is already outdated since I recently crashed into a lamp post and had to do some repair work. While at it I decided to do a few modifications, which I hope to report on in the near future!
Ouch! But, a little glue and you'll be good to go!

I just ordered a Yak 12 from HobbyKing today so I'll be looking forward to hearing about your modifications.

A couple of weeks ago, I bought the Yak's "cousin" - the Wilga 35 shown below. Both kits are manufactured by EasySky and are similar in size and specifications.

I specifically purchased the Wilga to fly indoors in a large venue we have access to. The version I bought didn't have a flap servo so the maiden flight was without flaps. I had also set up the plane similar to my 3D foamys so the maiden was quite 'entertaining' to say the least! The next time I flew the Wilga though, the flaps were operational and the control surfaces were set 'normally' and it flew like a kitten!

I'm hoping the Yak will fly as well indoors since that's where I do 99.9% of my flying!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:34 PM
East Lansing, MI
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
Hi Don,

my brother has the same Wilga that you have. I decided to buy the Yak. They are very similar inside, but my brother thinks the Yak flies a little better (we couldn't compare them directly, though, since he lives in Germany).

I looked at the original Yak 12 and found that there are quite a few variations. I couldn't exactly determine if the model is a 12A or 12M. The elevator and main wing look like a 12A, but the double struts are only on the 12M. In any case, I decided to make mine look more like a 12M by removing the second side window. I am also adding position lights and a landing light, and I'll paint it. The lights are done with LEDs, the landing light is a CREE LED with Ledil lens and produces a lot of light even with low current.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 12:45 AM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
723 Posts
Looks good so far! I especially like the lights. What do you plan to use for paint?

One difference I notice between the Yak from HobbyKing and the Wilga that I purchased from amazon.com (via Atomik RC) is that the windows are painted on the Wilga, and 'stickers' on the Yak. In one sense, if the window stickers could be reapplied, that would make it easier when repainting. I'd hate to have to have to mask all those windows!

Technically, the Yak is a Christmas present so I won't be able to do any flight comparisons until after the holidays. If it flies as well as the Wilga, I'll be happy though.

I found some interesting pictures and information on the Yak 12 here. You might find it useful.

Keep up the good work!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Dec 10, 2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 06:43 PM
East Lansing, MI
Joined Oct 2009
4 Posts
Thanks for the link, I have found that one, too. Lots of detail images! This one appears to be a Yak-12M with the double struts. Also note the more rectangular horizontal stabilizer, compared to the Easysky model.

For painting I plan to use Dupli Color Adhesion Promoter (a clear very thin spray paint) and either Tamiya or DecoArt acrylics on top. Yes, the windows are just stickers. I will replace them with transparent foil painted from the back, to make it look a little more realistic.