HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Cadflyer
United States, TX, Longview
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Question
Sig King Kobra Retracts? Need help

I am building a Sig King Kobra and looking at all the options for retracts. I really like the electric retracts that Turnigy offers but i have no knowledge of their quality. Can someone look these over and tell me which set of Tri-cycle gear would fit the KK or offer an inexpensive alternate for retracts?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...__594__Hardwar e_accessories_-Retracts.html &n bsp;

Thanks,
cva69 is offline Find More Posts by cva69
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
754 Posts
There is a fairly extensive build log on a King Kobra over in rcuniverse. It might be worth while taking a look or posting the question there as well.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
Cadflyer
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
There is a fairly extensive build log on a King Kobra over in rcuniverse. It might be worth while taking a look or posting the question there as well.

Teo
Thanks, ill check into that one
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:25 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
363 Posts
Retracts

I too am looking for a good electric solution. The only one solution I have come up with is a set of old school Rhom/Spring Air, sent for vaction at Down and Locked.

The reviews on Down and Locked are good, the actuators look they are built for the "real deal".
All of the Hobby King stuff I have interviewed would be fine for a $100 ARF but I fly 80's classic pattern simliar to your King Cobra, so a year long build with perfect paint deserves a little reliability.

I have heard some rumors that Down and Locked will be building for Robart as well as deals with Spring Air. Bob Violett signed on this year so knowing Bob their stuff has to cut the mustard.

All the best,

Kevin Gribben
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Last edited by Kevin2035; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:27 PM
Cadflyer
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2035 View Post
I too am looking for a good electric solution. The only one solution I have come up with is a set of old school Rhom/Spring Air, sent for vaction at Down and Locked.

The reviews on Down and Locked are good, the actuators look they are built for the "real deal".
All of the Hobby King stuff I have interviewed would be fine for a $100 ARF but I fly 80's classic pattern simliar to your King Cobra, so a year long build with perfect paint deserves a little reliability.

I have heard some rumors that Down and Locked will be building for Robart as well as deals with Spring Air. Bob Violett signed on this year so knowing Bob their stuff has to cut the mustard.

All the best,

Kevin Gribben
Thanks for the info. I will check into those also. I agree reliability is very important and the last thing I want is a series of belly landings that eventually destroy the plane. I really like the electric retracts but air may be best for this build.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Dec 2007
634 Posts
Spring airs.

David
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
363 Posts
Spring air is what I run now..... but I really want the pump out of my flight box.... they have been great to me.
Also I wont do pull pull steering so the spring air slider bar will be on whatever set up I end up with.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:26 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
497 Posts
Even the expensive Eflite electric retracts are unreliable on nitro applications. They have bitten more than a couple classic pattern guys, me included. So I don't think you can do any worse with cheap HK electrics. I have a real estate and weight issue on my one classic pattern plane with electrics or I would switch to air. My old Rhom Air gear hasn't failed me on another plane.
Eric

PS. I wonder If Down And Locked would 're-motor' my Eflite NG with their electronics? And if so, would it work with stock Eflite mains?
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Last edited by edh13; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:41 AM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
363 Posts
Heheheh.... ya... with all the failures we have had with the EFlight....... I too am scared away. They have a great 40/60 size that is really light and a great size..... but ya I am over that brand.

I have seen a Rhom conversion by DaL and it is a nice switch.

Their demo video is of a Rhom set up... I do luv the spring air slider bar steering though.

The DaL electronics require their box so you would have to run both modules... E flight and DaL.

I had main failures as well with the Eflights in Brians P7..... though not as much as the nose unit.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cadflyer
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Sounds like the Spring Air's are the way to go for my application.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:11 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,273 Posts
Wingspan Retracts??? http://www.wingspanretracts.com/

Has anybody had any experience or know anything about them?

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
Cadflyer
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Wingspan Retracts??? http://www.wingspanretracts.com/

Has anybody had any experience or know anything about them?

Ken
$289.00 for just the retracts is bit over my budget. When i add in struts and wheels i'm up over $350 approx. May be a good deal but a bit much for me. They do look like they are of decent quality though.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:18 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
363 Posts
I have not been able to touch a set of those wing span either. The manufature has good CAD pics but there isnt much on them other than that.

Struts on a Classic are waste of weight and not very period authentic. Its frustrating to see the trunion blocks bored so large and no easy way to reduce them. They should just sell a trunion block option.

It still looks like the down and locked boys have the best reputation.... their solution though is over $500 when you count the price of the conversion and aquisition of the gear to start with.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:20 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
825 Posts
Two words- Spring-Air.

20+ logged hours of flight time- zero failures.

-Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:33 AM
Cadflyer
Joined Feb 2009
27 Posts
Thanks guys. Looks like Spring Airs will be my choice for this kit.