SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:21 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Two questions...

1. What method of wing attachment are you all using? Tape?

2. Bill, would you mind posting some pics of the tail section beef up?

Thanks!

Aaron
Aaron Wallace is offline Find More Posts by Aaron Wallace
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:34 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Wallace View Post

1. What method of wing attachment are you all using? Tape?

Thanks!

Aaron
Nothing ! It takes some pushing to get the wings completely home on mine, so they're not going anywhere in flight (and I've been flying it a lot)!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is online now Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:16 PM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
Hi Aaron,

I usually use Vinyl elect tape to hold the wings on.

There isn't much to see except a change of color between the CF and FG.

Take off the cover with the tail wheel.

Use a Dremel sanding drum and rough up the interior of the upper wheel bay real well.This is where the v-tails attach.

I had some heavy CF laying around and cut 2 strips about 1" wide to cover the sides where the joint is. You want to overlap that joint on both sides of the air frame and then epoxy. and let cure

That is about all there is to it.

All the best

Bill
Billymac is offline Find More Posts by Billymac
Last edited by Billymac; Mar 06, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:34 AM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Thanks Chris and Bill. My wings slide on and off quite easily so I am at least going to tape them. I use hockey tape on my F3B birds and it works well. Very flexible. I am considering threading the forward wing alignment pin and using a wing nut, washer and rubber grommet then just tape the underside a little. I will lay some CF at the weak spot. Easy access!

Aaron
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:26 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Just a few further thoughts:

There are virtually NO forces exerted in flight that act on trying to slide wings off a joiner. Only on landing really. So, it's not only unnecessary to bolt wings in place, it's actually not desirable, as the release of that junction on a hard landing helps to dissipate the forces incurred by the airframe. That's why tape is ideal. If my wings become too easy to slide on and off, I will fit MPX multiloks: another method that "gives" under a bad bump on landing...

Try and get as much pressure on the CF patching as possible during curing. Some people use sandbags or even water bags to help in that regard. Good pressure makes for a strong lamination.

Chris
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
Chris,
Good idea on the multilocks from Multiplex. Iflytailies is where I got mine.

Another great idea on the weight on the CF, but in this case impossible due to the area of concern. See the 1st post pictures. Not even sure if a water bag could get in there.

Starting to warm up here in Albq, Should be able to do some Aero-towing soon.
Have a few birds to maiden, including the NEW Salto x 2.

All the best,

Bill
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:46 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
309 Posts
Wing retention

Hi Aaron,

I have followed a mates suggestion (he has also done this on his salto).
I drilled through the fuse into the Wing root (Between the joiner bar and the front pin), mixing epoxy and milled fibreglass I then injected into the wing through this hole, taped the hole and set the wing upright to keep the epoxy mix against the hole.
Once this has completely set, this is redrilled and then tapped (in my case M6) now when i put the wings on a plastic M6 bolt is screwed in to hold the wing on. only takes a minute when setting up the model.
Holds the wing well, and if you do "arrive" they will break away.

I have had no issue at all witht this setup, and I do throw it around.

Cheers
Steve
Lunns is offline Find More Posts by Lunns
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:58 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2006
570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunns View Post
Hi Aaron,

I have followed a mates suggestion (he has also done this on his salto).
I drilled through the fuse into the Wing root (Between the joiner bar and the front pin), mixing epoxy and milled fibreglass I then injected into the wing through this hole, taped the hole and set the wing upright to keep the epoxy mix against the hole.
Once this has completely set, this is redrilled and then tapped (in my case M6) now when i put the wings on a plastic M6 bolt is screwed in to hold the wing on. only takes a minute when setting up the model.
Holds the wing well, and if you do "arrive" they will break away.

I have had no issue at all witht this setup, and I do throw it around.

Cheers
Steve
That is a great idea! I was wondering if there was a good way to fill the void at that location. I may just go back and do as you did!

Thanks Chris,

Aaron
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:25 PM
Costa Rica, San Jose, San Pedro
Joined Dec 2004
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymac View Post
Another great idea on the weight on the CF, but in this case impossible due to the area of concern. See the 1st post pictures. Not even sure if a water bag could get in there.
Bill
How about a balloon? Can't you just push a ballon or inflatable bladder and blow it up to press against the interior of the fuse???
ferincr is offline Find More Posts by ferincr
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Sep 2005
639 Posts
A balloon is a good idea, but will expand at the point of the least resistance. Since you had to take the lower fairing with the wheel off; that left a big gaping hole. And that is where you get the expansion.

The 2 Saltos that I modified with the CF laid down real well. I pushed and smoothed out any inconsistencies.

With the molded sockets for the v tail rods makes it difficult to get around, but they still came out well.

Bill
Old May 08, 2013, 09:55 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Dec 2003
87 Posts
About 2.4G antenna.

Dear all

The fuselage layup of my Baudis Salto is carbon kevlar weave. It has the JR 35MHz Rx antenna inside the body. Very well and not a single glitch so far.

I am considering changing it to the JR 2.4GHz, mainly for the benefit of the Rx voltage feedback. I would like to ask if any of you has experience of 2.4G on this type of carbon kevlar body? Does it need to put the antenna outside of the fuselage? Thanks!!

CM
CM Cheng is offline Find More Posts by CM Cheng
Old May 09, 2013, 04:23 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
I fly the carbon Salto on 2.4 (Hitec). I have the aerial fitted so that it is located in the rear area of the closed canopy.

Chris