SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:56 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

And you are using your Technical Info and FAQs page to advise newcomers on how to build and modify the SSS?
Well, since you asked, no. I'm using it as a clearinghouse for info from the manufacturer and links to posts where YOU and others (those you don't lambaste too badly, annoy, and/or chase off the forum) advise newcomers on how to build and modify the SSS.

The Technical Info/FAQ page for the Super Sky Surfer can be found at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post22886340
Little-Acorn is offline Find More Posts by Little-Acorn
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 05, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Well, since you asked, no. I'm using it as a clearing house for info from the manufacturer and links to posts where YOU and others (those you don't lambaste too badly and chase off the forum) advise newcomers on how to build and modify the SSS.

Do you object?
Nope, other than that I would prefer that a "clearing house" manager be knowledgeable in the subject.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post
Nope, other than that I would prefer that a "clearing house" manager be knowledgeable in the subject.
Well, since you brought up your requirements...

Nobody else volunteered to do the job... dave.

Were you about to change that?

Or simply keep up with your constant posting of snide remarks and whining on the subject?
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:36 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Now, nOw, noW guys.... lets take everything with a grain of salt (not in the eyes) . I know LA understands what safety is and will not put anybody or anything in danger. He knows....he has kids of his own (you do know, do you?) No ...Foreal ...we all here to have fun..safe fun . And I think Mr.AJ handled and clarified everything eloquently. Lets keep it loose yet straight, ok y'all?

For what its worth I will be adding some packing tape to my nose and key areas just for a "little" assurance . That's just me.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,355 Posts
Quote:
Well, since you brought up your requirements...

Nobody else volunteered to do the job... dave.

Were you about to change that?

Or simply keep up with your constant posting of snide remarks and whining on the subject?
I have just about had it with this crap !! Just shut the crap up and stick to posting about the plane or get out !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:12 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
I have just about had it with this crap !! Just shut the crap up and stick to posting about the plane or get out !
+1

I guess this is why "The DON" left...
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Quote:

After 9/11/2001, recall that all flying was prohibited. Don't know if models were included, but nobody around here wanted to find out.

Then some 3 weeks (I think) after The Day, I heard on the radio that flying was finally permitted again. I went down the the ultralight field at Barona (R.I.P.) and found a bunch of the guys who had heard the same thing. Some had already flown to Lake Wohlford and back for breakfast.

As I was preflighting the Minimax, a police helicopter appeared, and landed at the field, raising a huge cloud of dust. The cop got out and spoke to us, asking if anyone had been flying. We told our stories, and the cop pointed out that flying was permitted for commercial aircraft ONLY, with individual positive control every step of the way, required - basically IFR all the way though it was a clear, sunny day.

The reason the cops had come to our ultralight field, is because an ***Aegis cruiser*** patrolling off the coast of California had detected the ultralights going to Wohlford on its megawatt phased-array radar, and had been tracking them every minute with their combat systems, with all guns and missiles trained out and hot. But they figured that these targets might be ultralights who weren't receiving the demands and orders being broadcast on SoCal Control, or even model airplanes, due to their small signature and low speeds, and so held fire and asked the local cops to check it out instead.

Whew......

(not kidding)
Grew up in the AF.. had to look up the Aegis Cruiser part.. maybe I'll put in a call to the base first
shutterspeed is offline Find More Posts by shutterspeed
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:39 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
+1. Just consider that he is our "little black cloud" that hovers over the thread.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:41 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post

<snip>

For what its worth I will be adding some packing tape to my nose and key areas just for a "little" assurance . That's just me.
Won't that interfere with your smelling ability????
Sorry, I just couldn't resist that. It's late and I have been drinking too much coffee.
AJ
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
Yeah, that was funny. A little late, late night humor I get that way too at 4:41 am.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:52 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
Quote:
+1. This thread is for model planes, not for sniping.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:15 AM
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2006
1,280 Posts
I rigged the 2-connector harness on the 60A ESC's battery cables last night, to connect two LiPo batteries in series, and tried it. Now my wattmeter can read only one battery's voltage, but the current of both batteries of course since they are in series. Plugged two 4000mAh 2s LiPos (nominal 7.4V each) from an R/C car, into the harness, started slowly, and revved it up.

Same basic result with the EMP 8x6 three-blade prop on the 3640-3900KV replacement motor: at full throttle, current draw went above 80A while the voltage on one of the 2s batteries dropped to 6.2 volts. It's reasonable to assume the other battery was doing something similar in voltage. The ESC started getting hot in a hurry so I shut it down. Put the two-blade APC 9x4.5E prop on and tried again, this time current briefly exceeded 70A so I shut down again. Each run was 2-3 seconds only.

This motor isn't acting anything like the 2835-3900KV motors I put in my regular SkySurfer and Easystar. Those spin a three-blade 6x4 prop above 20,000 RPM on the bench and while the ESCs get hot (current in the neighborhood of 60A), it takes them a while; so I never do it for more than 10-15 seconds at a time; and the planes can climb vertically out of sight in that time. Mostly I fly those planes at half throttle or less, they climb well and do stunts at that setting.

But this 3640-3900KV motor just isn't the same. I was hoping it would "scale up" what the smaller 3900KV motors did, but no dice. I'm starting to wonder if the smaller motors are freaks, different from "most" 3900KV motors. Maybe I just got lucky with them, and this larger SSS motor is exhibiting more "normal" behavior for a 3900KV. Thought about putting the 7x5 prop from the Bixler2 on it, or even one of the 6x4 three-blades to see if it spun up to high speeds without frying the ESC and super-draining the batteries (which is also quite abusive). But I'd have to ream out the center holes in each prop to fit the 5/16 shaft on the collet (Note to self: Get a reasonable collet!), and I never intended to run such small props on the SSS anyway.

So it looks like this motor has an R/C car in its future, and I will (for now) go back to the original SSS stock motor... until a bigger motor arrives. I also have a junk-box brushless 3650 (I think) inrunner motor of unknown KV, that was on the 74" Lanier U2 glider for a while, if I can find it I may try it too. It flew, I believe with a 9x6 Master Airscrew 3-blade prop on 3s, without heating up the ESC much. Climb was good (45 degrees) but not spectacular. And the SSS is bigger, and slightly heavier, than that plane.

The hunt goes on for a motor that lets the SSS climb like my regular SkySurfer does, while letting it do its normal slow/majestic thing at (usual) lower throttle setttings most of the time. Most such larger motors (inrunners and outrunners) have lower KV ratings, below 2000KV and often below 1000KV. The big ones are designed to turn props 12" to 16" or more in diameter, impossible for the SSS obviously. Maybe if I can find one whose manufacturer says it will turn a 10" or 12" prop correctly, I can try the 9x6 three-blade on it and not have to raise the motor up higher.
You never know until you try.....
Last edited by Little-Acorn; Oct 05, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:58 AM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,196 Posts
I would like to see that too.
I have a 4 blade 6x3or 4 E-Sport glider that had a 1050 inrunner in it, it was marginal in climb or kinda slow. I'm in the long process of finding a mount and putting on a more potent motor.
That would be interesting to put your 3 blade on a 12-14" prop rated motor. I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to here of your results. Keep us posted, man!
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn;22920114h
<trim>
So it looks like this motor has an R/C car in its future, and I will (for now) go back to the original SSS stock motor... until a bigger motor arrives. I also have a junk-box brushless 3650 (I think) inrunner motor of unknown KV, that was on the 74" Lanier U2 glider for a while, if I can find it I may try it too. It flew, I believe with a 9x6 Master Airscrew 3-blade prop on 3s, without heating up the ESC much. Climb was good (45 degrees) but not spectacular. And the SSS is bigger, and slightly heavier, than that plane.
<trim>
What were the wattmeter readings?
AJ
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:51 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,424 Posts
Universal Motor Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-LO View Post
I would like to see that too.
I have a 4 blade 6x3or 4 E-Sport glider that had a 1050 inrunner in it, it was marginal in climb or kinda slow. I'm in the long process of finding a mount and putting on a more potent motor.
Do you have a wattmeter? If you do, That setup would be very easy to test.
You can build a mount like my friend and I did. HERE are the links:
8. Sky Surfer Universal Motor Mount - Really nice UMM contributed by antennahead. Superb craftsmanship.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=81
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=82
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=83
You would need a slightly larger coupling to accommodate a 36mm motor.
AJ