SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:32 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
509 Posts
I recieved my new Horizontal Stab for the Sniper today, Looks very nice. I was wondering how people are setting up the Elevator now that it is two piece. Will one servo still work or is this a two servo set up ?? Special Thanks to Matt Hague from Fan Jet USA for helping me get the Stab. You get a A++ for customer service. Thanks again!!
falconjet50 is online now Find More Posts by falconjet50
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
5kW Club
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2007
840 Posts
I made it for a two servo control system.

Look at CRCJA build

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1748

There is probably no reason it could not be a single servo, but you would have to work the linkage out.

Clay
racer1 is offline Find More Posts by racer1
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
The whole topic of the re-designed stab has been very interesting. However it also brings some new questions as to what effect it may have on performance. My questions.

1. Will having two servos, vrs one, in the thrust tube effect thrust performance?

2. The builder could actually have the ESC, along with two servos blocking the thrust tube, would this effect thrust performance?

Tam streamlined his setup by enclosing the ESC, but just think about the blockage in a thrust tube without Tam's setup, the ESC and the loose wires, two servos and the wires ect.

The streamlined thrust tube would be much less streamlined, just asking because I don't know the answer.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:28 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,832 Posts
my servos dont bother my thrust tube at all. esc placement can be done in a number of differnt manners, a number of which dont place the esc in the pipe.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:05 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
I should amend my question.

If the ESC or the servos are in the way of the pipe, or cause the pipe to be deflected, would it cause a decrease in thrust performance?

I should note that my single servo causes a slight deflection in the pipe, a crease, and my ESC is in the tube, hanging loose. I don't care about speed and my flying would never cause flutter. But, for the guys that are worried and wanted the stab changed, this question is for you.

Would a clean and streamlined pipe be better for performance, or doesn't it matter?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconjet50 View Post
I recieved my new Horizontal Stab for the Sniper today, Looks very nice. I was wondering how people are setting up the Elevator now that it is two piece. Will one servo still work or is this a two servo set up ?? Special Thanks to Matt Hague from Fan Jet USA for helping me get the Stab. You get a A++ for customer service. Thanks again!!
did you buy your sniper from fanjetsusa? and how long did it take to get your new stab?
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
My Elevator Servo location

AL,

Here is a recap of my install, by placing the servos in front of the Horizontal stab, I accomplished two things:

1. Glue them to the bottom of the plane and also have them glued to the edge created for the stab, kind of like a corner there, so I have more grabbing power there.

2. The servos are actually lower than they would be in the stab. Plus with two servos, I am running the pushrods to the SIDES of the trust tube for the most part
As far as the ESC goes, mine is on the side of the fuselage where I put in the side scoop (NACA scoop) and does not interfere, while mine is an ICE100, I don’t see a problem with even a ICE 160 in the same location, of course some controllers are bigger than others, I can take some more specific pictures tonight if you like. Just a reminder, sand with 80 grit and clean it before you glue anything in, the inside of the entire plane is incredibly dirty and dusty. BTW, I still have not found off-the-shelf paint (Model Masters or equivalent rattle can) to match the Fuselage

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
I should amend my question.

If the ESC or the servos are in the way of the pipe, or cause the pipe to be deflected, would it cause a decrease in thrust performance?
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, FL, Coral Springs
Joined Jan 2007
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kremecheze View Post
did you buy your sniper from fanjetsusa? and how long did it take to get your new stab?
Yes, I purchased the Sniper Green Lightening back in April. I have around 20 flights on it, the new stab took about two weeks to get from Matt at Fanjetusa. Matt had the Jet drop shipped to my house and then he work with me to get me the Free replacement stab when HEt announced the replacement was availible.
falconjet50 is online now Find More Posts by falconjet50
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Jun 2007
1,172 Posts
does matt have any more in stock? i just ordered some fans from his site
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
Ok, finally got it in the air. A couple of notes.

-This is my first, and last HET "kit"-nuff said. What a POS, thats an understatement.

-Thanks EJF for quick communication and A+ service.

-This model is the perfect size and flys, even after only one flight, pretty well.

I bought this model last spring. It was quickly shelved due to the constant issues people were having and my own experience in trying to get things together and reviewing the quality and amount of reworking it would take.

FWIW, I am an experienced modeler of 25+ years. I have built and flown all sorts of models including some of the highest end in model turbines. I have built 3 BVM bandits (Balsa, Composite, and the ARF) alone. I bought this plane given its Bandit like looks and all composite construction under the assumption that it would fly sorta kinda a little bit like one. Another reason was for its size as an after hours/evening sport e-jet.

Having had the maiden today I am happy to report that the worst build I have ever had to do was at least, so far, worth it. You can tell alot about a model even with one flight and this one flys decent enough. Im running a lighter 6s setup with an Ejet 90 fan, ARC 36651 and 5000's (2300 watts, 107 amps). Model weight is 8.2 lbs. Had to add 1.5 oz in the nose to balance at 4.25". Need 3/32 or so right trim despite building a fairly straight wing. Flys decently fast, probably 120-130 with good vertical. Slows down nicely. No bad tendency but had a good head wind and didnt slow it down too much. Rolls horribly but I assume thats the built in differential due to the preinstalled malpositioned control horn which I will later correct in the TX.

Time will tell more about secondary flight characteristics and durability but I am honestly not expecting much, anything beyond this is a bonus!

Only some of the issues:

No wood or any support in more than 50% of the precut hinge slots. Center hinged flaps, top hinged ailerons. All-ready mentioned issues on stab design. Garbage hardware. No glue at all nearly anywhere on any former, blind nut, or any other important structure. Suggested rudder geometry is all screwed up. Lack of former supporting tail.

Mod's:

Beyond correcting the above, dubro nylon pinned hinges. Pinned the front of the wing and the stab with 1/4 CF rod into former in fuse. Pinned front of canopy and canopy latch on the back. Shulman electric gear. Added larger/longer ply back plates under servo mounting surface in elevator and wing. Didnt cut stab former. Didnt have the energy to devise, cut, and install a former in the rudder. Hope it works ok stock...

In summary, its a perfect sized model with good enough flight characteristics but just absolutely horribly executed. I honestly took this model the field half expecting to crash it and really not caring if I did! On a final note, I would be very, very cautious at putting anymore than 2500 watts through this.

Will be at Super Jets South next week with it out likely in the evenings.

Good luck
foss1997 is online now Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Ripoff britain
Joined Jan 2011
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foss1997 View Post
Ok, finally got it in the air. A couple of notes.

-This is my first, and last HET "kit"-nuff said. What a POS, thats an understatement.

-Thanks EJF for quick communication and A+ service.

-This model is the perfect size and flys, even after only one flight, pretty well.

I bought this model last spring. It was quickly shelved due to the constant issues people were having and my own experience in trying to get things together and reviewing the quality and amount of reworking it would take.

FWIW, I am an experienced modeler of 25+ years. I have built and flown all sorts of models including some of the highest end in model turbines. I have built 3 BVM bandits (Balsa, Composite, and the ARF) alone. I bought this plane given its Bandit like looks and all composite construction under the assumption that it would fly sorta kinda a little bit like one. Another reason was for its size as an after hours/evening sport e-jet.

Having had the maiden today I am happy to report that the worst build I have ever had to do was at least, so far, worth it. You can tell alot about a model even with one flight and this one flys decent enough. Im running a lighter 6s setup with an Ejet 90 fan, ARC 36651 and 5000's (2300 watts, 107 amps). Model weight is 8.2 lbs. Had to add 1.5 oz in the nose to balance at 4.25". Need 3/32 or so right trim despite building a fairly straight wing. Flys decently fast, probably 120-130 with good vertical. Slows down nicely. No bad tendency but had a good head wind and didnt slow it down too much. Rolls horribly but I assume thats the built in differential due to the preinstalled malpositioned control horn which I will later correct in the TX.

Time will tell more about secondary flight characteristics and durability but I am honestly not expecting much, anything beyond this is a bonus!

Only some of the issues:

No wood or any support in more than 50% of the precut hinge slots. Center hinged flaps, top hinged ailerons. All-ready mentioned issues on stab design. Garbage hardware. No glue at all nearly anywhere on any former, blind nut, or any other important structure. Suggested rudder geometry is all screwed up. Lack of former supporting tail.

Mod's:

Beyond correcting the above, dubro nylon pinned hinges. Pinned the front of the wing and the stab with 1/4 CF rod into former in fuse. Pinned front of canopy and canopy latch on the back. Shulman electric gear. Added larger/longer ply back plates under servo mounting surface in elevator and wing. Didnt cut stab former. Didnt have the energy to devise, cut, and install a former in the rudder. Hope it works ok stock...

In summary, its a perfect sized model with good enough flight characteristics but just absolutely horribly executed. I honestly took this model the field half expecting to crash it and really not caring if I did! On a final note, I would be very, very cautious at putting anymore than 2500 watts through this.

Will be at Super Jets South next week with it out likely in the evenings.

Good luck
I do agree with u mine flu nice but after my experience with het I will not be buying any more off them either ,My problem was no wood in the elevator a manufacturing fault yet no joy from Het not very good service from them I think but that's only my point they won't have any more of my hard earned cash lol and I have had alot off them in the past .
alanjets is offline Find More Posts by alanjets
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:16 PM
toledo, oh, usa
Joined Nov 1999
1,403 Posts
5 more flights today. All remains well. Much better flyer than the Habu 32. Rolls improving with mechanical de-differential and prog mixing on rud ele, rud ail, and flap ele. Airframe holding up well.
foss1997 is online now Find More Posts by foss1997
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:20 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foss1997 View Post
5 more flights today. All remains well. Much better flyer than the Habu 32. Rolls improving with mechanical de-differential and prog mixing on rud ele, rud ail, and flap ele. Airframe holding up well.
many are better flyers than the habu 32.. That plane for me is overestimated
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:14 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
2,016 Posts
Flights

I had three more flights on mine, I have the CG right at 4.25, slows down nice and I had to slow down the Ailerons since I had too much. I now have tripple rates on them. Love the sound of the JetFan. Since it has the looks, I am kinda wanting a little bit more speed.

Ralph
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:39 PM
Its a Condition not Addiction
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Jul 2008
3,013 Posts
another one bites the dust

Maiden flight was ok..but he almost lost it on base turn, but powered out of the stall and 2nd landing attempt was perfect. The story i got was he was coming out of a dive for a high speed pass and was unable to pull up out of it. The attached photo shows the end result. This was a guy from the Arizona Model Aviators.
lashmett75 is offline Find More Posts by lashmett75