Closed Thread
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:15 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairadocs View Post
I just got this cam in the mail. jumbo #11 keychain cam - looks like Audi key.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150692176357...ht_3649wt_1320

when i record video, i don't get any sound. any idea why? am i doing something wrong?

Is it possible that there is no audio pickup on this model? i'm concerned this is the case b/c i don't see a hole for a mic/audio pickup.

thanks for the help in advance
No, they all have a mic and no hole for sound. The mic is sensitive enough without the hole. But you could take a peek inside to make sure the two wires on the mike are intact and soldered to the circuit board.

It could also be your video playing software.. missing audio codec (doubt it) or even sound not turned on. I assume you have not done any post-editing that might affect the sound and do have your speakers turned on (hey, it's happened!).

Or it could be a DOA mic!
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Jun 2011
78 Posts
I've just noticed that this #16's 250mAh battery is a bit higher capacity than #11. How is the recording time? I hope this new battery will not die easy like #11's
TrafalgarLaw is offline Find More Posts by TrafalgarLaw
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafalgarLaw View Post
I've just noticed that this #16's 250mAh battery is a bit higher capacity than #11. How is the recording time? I hope this new battery will not die easy like #11's
Both #11 and #16 come with 250 mAh battery! Same recording time if the batteries are fully charged and healthy.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined May 2011
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reishtak View Post
Hi guys

Just got a jumbo #11 delivered the other day, my first 808 but I've done a bit of reading etc.

Things are fine, other than an annoying beeping, which occurs pretty much every second, sometimes slightly delayed (but then usually followed by two beeps closer together, then back to every second).

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? From reading this thread, the only thing that I can guess is that it's a battery issue. I've done very quick recordings with a fully charged battery, and the beeps are there from the beginning.

Is this something I am going to have to put up with, or could there be something like a firmware issue? (I updated the firmware to the "Rel2 - Remove Time - 70 min" from this site)

Any ideas much appreciated guys!

Cheers, Ed
I've the exact same issue! The only way to reduce buzzing is by increasing voltage. I'm doing some research with an external power supply. Camera shows very bad visual artifacts at < 4 V.

Buzzing seams reduced above 4.2/4.5 V definitively more than a battery top safe limit.

I'm looking for a long term fix. I'll keep you posted
Giorg is offline Find More Posts by Giorg
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:30 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
PED Products Camera Mount

This mount was briefly mentioned in a few user posts a while back, and I recently obtained one with multiple base attachments and have a few observations that are not obvious in the product web pages here:
  • First, this is no hastily concocted flimsy plastic mount! The plastic is thick and appears very durable with some nice design features.
  • There are SIX points of support for the camera case!
    • Two rubber "bumpers" at the front
    • Two soft rubber pads on the bottom (front and back)
    • One machine screw stud (rubber-clad) at the rear
    • One latch at the aft end
    In short, the camera is held VERY secure when snapped into place, and will not vibrate or move around in the mount (see photos 1 & 2).
  • The camera appears to be angled slightly and off center at the rear when latched in the mount... and it is, but apparently for good reason! The camera case has a curved front with the lens offset to one side and fitted flush (normally) with the curve of the case. This angles the lens view slightly left of where the camera case centerline is pointing. This mount locates the aft end of the camera slightly off center, via the machine screw stud, which apparently put the lens view axis back parallel with the axis of the camera mount! So when the mount is "aimed" where you want it, the camera will be also! The machine screw stud is located in a slotted hole, so it can be moved slightly to precisely align a given camera if the lens is slightly canted inside the camera case. Neat! (see photos 2 & 3)
  • The camera is located recessed back in the mount frame (see photo 3). My concern that the mount opening might obstruct the #11HD wide field of view were unfounded. The recessed lens location makes the case act as an effective lens shield, preventing unwanted light outside the field of view from striking the lens when shooting near the sun, minimizing lens flare and washout! This also allows space to adhere a small glass lens cover inside the mount frame if desired to keep dirt, water splashes, etc. from hitting the lens. And if the rest of the camera case were wrapped in a layer of plastic sandwich wrap, the whole camera would be pretty resistent to rain or other water splashes. But PED is developing a shield specifically for these purposes, so there should soon be another better solution.
  • I found the "V-bottom" axial rail built into the bottom of the main mount bracket (see photo 3) to seat very firmly on the bill of a ball cap, either on the top or the bottom, secured with a screw into the bill of the cap, making a secure CapCam mount which stays in alignment.
  • Finally, I discovered an inherent risk with some cameras if the user is not careful when inserting the camera into the mount. When my flash card is latched in my camera, the corners of the flash card slightly protrude outside the case of the camera, and the card slot is in close proximity to the mount frame when inserted (see photo 4). As I was pushing my camera into the front of the mount, I unknowingly pushed the corner of the flash card, causing it to unlatch from it's holder and interfere with the mount frame when I was trying to latch the aft end of the camera into the mount. Everything... camera, flash card, and mount are about the same black color, so I did not see the problem when the camera would not snap into position in the mount. And not knowing the first time how much force it should take to seat the camera in the mount, I pushed a bit harder. The camera then snapped into position, but I didn't like the "snap sound"... thought I had broken the mount latch. A close look confirmed the mount latch is designed to deflect sufficiently for the camera to be seated without over-stressing the plastic, so it was then I discovered what you have already guessed... I broke the flash card! (see photo 5) This was user error, not a design problem with the camera or the mount, but one that deserves an alert here if anyone uses one of these mounts.
If you have a need to move/mount this camera on different types of equipment, the multiple securement method options of this package is a good way to do it while getting the same camera alignment every time you move it.

<Edit 4/26/2012> A slip on weather cover with replaceable lens windows is now available. It covers the top and sides of the entire camera and the holder (photos 6 and 7). While this does not protect the camera if it is fully submerged in water, it is well designed to protect it from rain, splashes, etc. that could occur in above ground use.

The vendor has also announced he is now a re-seller of the #16 HD keychain camera (reportedly obtained from one of the verified Ebay sellers [eletoponline365]. This gives a North America source for the camera (with re-seller markup) if buying from China via Ebay is a concern.

A 25% discount for RC Groups members was also announced by the vendor. Enter "PED-RC" (without the quotes) in the discount code box when you check out to get the discount.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Sep 04, 2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added details of RCG discount, weather cover, and #16
Old Dec 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorg View Post
I've the exact same issue! The only way to reduce buzzing is by increasing voltage. I'm doing some research with an external power supply. Camera shows very bad visual artifacts at < 4 V.

Buzzing seams reduced above 4.2/4.5 V definitively more than a battery top safe limit.

I'm looking for a long term fix. I'll keep you posted
This seems to be an issue mainly with the different Jumbo circuit board design, with the #11 normally only showing the buzzing artifact when writing the last few minutes of a recording, and the #16 does not show it at all! If you find a way to silence this on the Jumbo, please post it.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Dec 10, 2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:13 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
...This angles the lens view slightly left of where the camera case centerline is pointing. This mount locates the aft end of the camera slightly off center, via the machine screw stud, which apparently put the lens view axis back parallel with the axis of the camera mount! So when the mount is "aimed" where you want it, the camera will be also! Neat! (see photos 2 & 3)

...so it was then I discovered what you have already guessed... I broke the flash card! (see photo 5) This was user error, not a design problem with the camera or the mount, but one that deserves an alert here if anyone uses one of these mounts.
Tom,
-Excellent review.
-Aiming, and I always thought it was me.
-At least the flash card you broke was 'only' 4gig.
-I didn't even know these types of accessories or P.E.D existed, until now. I need to pay more attention.
B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 10, 2011, 03:25 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Tom,
-Excellent review.
-Aiming, and I always thought it was me.
-At least the flash card you broke was 'only' 4gig.
-I didn't even know these types of accessories or P.E.D existed, until now. I need to pay more attention.
B!LL!
You know, I hadn't given much thought to the lens angle before I examined this mount and at first thought the camera was not centered properly. I, too, had some things not centered as I thought in some videos. It wasn't until I considered why the stud post on this mount would intentionally force the camera to a skewed angle that everything sort of fell into place... it all makes sense now!

Good eye on the flash card. I had also been using an 8GB card for other testing with this camera, so fortunately had the "best" one in the camera during this incident.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron RC View Post
Has anyone from the U.S. had to return a camera under warranty? My vendor (eletoponline365) may want me to return the camera for replacement and I wonder if it would be worth it as far as shipping costs to do so. Anyone have any idea what it would cost to send one to China from the U.S. I must say these guys are great on communications and very helpful.

Ron
no questions aske 2.40 cents i got a new one.
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Old Dec 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
If I read early on of the #16 did one not say a ribbon cable wil lbe on thelens for add'l movement, and if so would aswival lens be an option for a future thought. imagine angleing the lens
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
22 Posts
has anyone relocated the lens absolutely somewhere else? I found one google result and they essentially 'stretched' the ribbon cable by soldering wire to each lead individually and back to the board.

Is that it? I didn't see this (just the lens turn within the case) in any of the pg 1 links.
danpass is offline Find More Posts by danpass
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:47 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
has anyone relocated the lens absolutely somewhere else? I found one google result and they essentially 'stretched' the ribbon cable by soldering wire to each lead individually and back to the board.

Is that it? I didn't see this (just the lens turn within the case) in any of the pg 1 links.
I have not seen this done with the #11 camera, but I suppose it's possible with some micro-soldering skills. The Google link you reference might have been with one of the other (low res) versions which come in the same case design and have a similar 24 trace ribbon cable?

An extension cable might be easier to make with the soon-to-be-released #16 since it uses a ribbon cable header on the camera circuit board (see pics in this thread)
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Preview: Nr16 Setup Program

Tom has already spilled the beans and I know that a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the #16.

As most people who have been following this thread will already know, Tom has done an awful amount of testing on the upcoming #16. What nobody yet knows is that he has also found the time to help me design and polish up the GUI setup program for the #16. I honestly don't know how he has had the time to do all this work. He has been a wonderful help to me.

Anyway, I think the outcome is really great and will make configuring the #16 a piece of cake.

Tom and I are still tying up the last strings in the program and doing the final testing but I expect the program to be finished by the end of the week. The developer may also request some changes.

These are the highlights:
- Large fonts for easy reading.
- Built-in program Help.
- Tooltips which can be enabled or disabled.
- Fully integrated detailed user manual which can also be printed.
- Profile management for advanced users (different configurations).
- Ability to read the current settings from the Camera.
- Manage the camera's settings.
- No program setup required. Just download, unzip the single exe file, and run.

I can't guarantee that all the settings will be available in the final release, but things are looking very bright indeed. I'm sure Tom will soon be publishing more information. This is an absolutely fantastic camera which can't be beat in it's funtionality, size or price.

A picture says more than a thousand words, so here is a peek of what you can expect.

Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 11, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2006
359 Posts
Tom,

thank you for your suggestions.

turns out that one of your suggestions did help.

the audio will play with VLC.

the strange thing is that the the audio will not play with VLC after i used windows movie maker to shorten a video.

again,

thank you.

any further suggestions on how to make shortened clips audio play would be great. sorry if i'm asking too much. PM if you want, anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
No, they all have a mic and no hole for sound. The mic is sensitive enough without the hole. But you could take a peek inside to make sure the two wires on the mike are intact and soldered to the circuit board.

It could also be your video playing software.. missing audio codec (doubt it) or even sound not turned on. I assume you have not done any post-editing that might affect the sound and do have your speakers turned on (hey, it's happened!).

Or it could be a DOA mic!
pairadocs is offline Find More Posts by pairadocs
Old Dec 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom has already spilled the beans and I know that a lot of people are eagerly awaiting the #16.

As most people who have been following this thread will already know, Tom has done an awful amount of testing on the upcoming #16. What nobody yet knows is that he has also found the time to help me design and polish up the GUI setup program for the #16. I honestly don't know how he has had the time to do all this work. He has been a wonderful help to me.

Anyway, I think the outcome is really great and will make configuring the #16 a piece of cake.

Tom and I are still tying up the last strings in the program and doing the final testing but I expect the program to be finished by the end of the week. The developer may also request some changes.

These are the highlights:
- Large fonts for easy reading.
- Built-in program Help.
- Tooltips which can be enabled or disabled.
- Fully integrated detailed user manual which can also be printed.
- Profile management for advanced users (different configurations).
- Ability to read the current settings from the Camera.
- Manage the camera's settings.
- No program setup required. Just download, unzip the single exe file, and run.

I can't guarantee that all the settings will be available in the final release, but things are looking very bright indeed. I'm sure Tom will soon be publishing more information. This is an absolutely fantastic camera which can't be beat in it's funtionality, size or price.

A picture says more than a thousand words, so here is a peek of what you can expect.

Isoprop,

Too cool. You make it too easy.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread