HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:51 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Build Log
Ligeti Stratos - New plane from RCfoam - Video Added

I remember seeing the full size Ligeti Stratos years ago on TV. It was one of those planes that catch your attention with it's looks and performance. I always kept the plane in the back of my mind but had never really thought about doing a model. Paul Blymyer from http://www.rcfoam.com/ has been working on a series of designs with the Ligeti Stratos being one of them, I jumped at the chance to get one of these little beauties in the air. (By the way Ron Ligeti, an engineer, is the son of the designer and will be bringing the full size Stratos project back. It sure would be nice to have a full size Stratos to zip around in.)

Link to Ligeti Stratos at RCFoam. http://www.rcfoam.com/cart.php?targe...ategory_id=183

See flight video at post #56 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1277270&page=4
Heathers flight video at #134 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1277270&page=9

Link to full size info and other models of the Ligeti. http://www.ligetistratos.com/aircraft_models_ron.htm
http://www.lgtaerospace.com/

Specs.
Wingspan 36.5 inches.
Weight as tested. 12.2oz with 1300TP 3 cell
CG - 2 1/4 inch in front of the aft wing leading edge.

Equipment used.
Scorpion 2205-36 with 7x5E prop
Scorpion 25amp esc
4 Emax servos.
GWS 6channel rx
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Last edited by eliworm; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:54 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Paul has done a great job with the layout of the Stratos. The foam parts are CNC router cut for accuracy making it easy to put together. I should have mine ready to fly in about a week. Not that it will take that long but I can't work on it everyday. I'll most likely use a Scorpion motor but I'm not sure which one. I'll update the info as I go.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:01 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
The first thing to do is to epoxy the spars into the slots in the foam wings. Make sure you tape off each slot to make sure epoxy does not make a mess of things. I used 5 minute epoxy but you might choose 15 minute for a little more working time. The spars in the aft wing are left and right to allow for the dihedral in the wing.
Last edited by eliworm; May 16, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:05 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Pay attention when adding the dihedral to the aft wing. Tape the ends of the V cut to make a small channel to keep the epoxy from running out. Lift the center of the wing off the table 12mm with each wingtip touching the table. The V cut will then be filled with epoxy.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:08 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
I then prepared the ailerons and elevator for hinging. You will notice a slight amount of foam left on the end of each flight control surface after the router operation. It is an easy task to remove the leftover with a single edge razor blade. Once removed, flex the surfaces up and down gently but do not break them off. Once they are free moving, add a strip of hinge tape to the top of each surface. I did not tape the bottom but you may choose to for added strength.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:11 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Before pressing on, I couldn't help doing a little dry assembly. Now I can dream and make airplane noises.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 01:47 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,559 Posts
looks good so far,keep us posted
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:23 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Today I glued up the fuselage, a very simple affair. I used some scrap depron to align the 3 pieces. I used 15 minute epoxy to give me plenty of time to check and recheck. Once cured I gave it a rough sanding.

Note that when assembling the 3 halves together, the builder has a choice as to put the battery on the left or right side.
Last edited by eliworm; May 16, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:33 PM
Parker, CO
Joined Jun 2010
37 Posts
So, I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to buy the Ligeti. Any links?
bradpowers is offline Find More Posts by bradpowers
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:34 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Next I glued the main wing, which is the aft wing to the fuselage. I used a square along the fuselage and the hinge line to keep everything square. I also checked with a yard stick from the wingtip to the nose to assure I was square.

When I was talking to Paul, the designer, he stressed the importance of making sure the wing was bonded securely to the fuse as this is critical for the strength of the wing. 15 minute epoxy was used for this. I wouldn't even consider CA for this area.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:36 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,755 Posts
That is a neat Airplane
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:38 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpowers View Post
So, I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to buy the Ligeti. Any links?
Hi bradpowers,

I was talking with RCfoam, they will be adding the plane to their site once I fly this one. There is a minor difference in the fuselage allowing a builder to run the servo wires on the inside of the fuselage, the prototype did not have this feature. They just want to make sure there is no problems before release. Once I get a direct link I will edit my first post.

Jim
Last edited by eliworm; Jul 19, 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Hey Jim,

That looks pretty neat! Be sure to let me know when the maiden is so I can film it! Just not this Friday as I'll be up in Flagstaff.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Oh, and what are the specs? WS? Estimated AUW?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:24 AM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,908 Posts
Jim, that thing looks great. For sure let us know when you bring it out. I would like to see it fly.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome