Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:54 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
no word from VH? tried calling ?
No, I didn't call. I did get curious and opened up the motor just before I left for work. Even if they did warranty it I wouldn't spend the money to ship it back to them. I wouldn't want another one. This thing is crap! It had loose windings. That's what was sparking when the magnets hit them. One is cut in half. The magnets were hitting the stator as well. I didn't have time to investigate why the housing is so out of balance. Maybe after I get home tonight.

I need to point out this isn't a Value Hobby problem. It's a bad motor that was shipped to them from the manufacturer. I just happened to get it. Hobby King sells the same motor. While there are mostly positive reviews there are a couple that had the same problems as me.

Not sure what I'll do for a motor now. I have to stop spending money for a while. Probably won't turn a rotor blade until after the new year......

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:29 PM
crashs come easy patience dont
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Jan 2009
2,875 Posts
i am not sure on the quality of this motor http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT but i have two of the aeolian 45a-sw esc`s and really like them.
maybe if i can get a 500, i`ll try this motor out.
i also like www.cncheli.com for motor`s. i bought a gulang 3500kv motor (now used in the copterx and kds heli`s) from them a long time back, i do mean a looong time back. it lasted two years before the lower bearing started making some noise.
i still have the motor, and if i keep my 450`s, i`ll get some new bearings.
bad400 is offline Find More Posts by bad400
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:36 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
bad400: The motors at both of those links are the same motor I have with different stickers. Looks like everyone is selling that motor. There are probably a ton of them out there that are doing great. I'm a little gun shy after seeing the inside of mine.

Joe
Old Dec 07, 2010, 09:27 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Dec 07, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
anyone out thier been using the EXCEED 500 1500KV MOTOR? got it mounted in the model but havent fired it up yet, the internals look to be good however the power wires look to be a bit flimsy, it was the same on the EXCEED 450 but ran quite well and had no problems, also like the fact thier air kooled, for $35 will see what happens
Old Dec 07, 2010, 11:50 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
I looked at that Exceed motor but at only 650 watts I'd think it would be over taxed.

Joe
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:33 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
OK I finally found the USB cable for my camera and thought I'd shoot a few pix of my "new" motor. I guess this proves you get what you pay for. You don't always get your moneys worth though......

Keep in mind while I'm a little bummed that I haven't heard anything back from Value Hobby about this yet it's not their fault. They didn't build the motor, they're just the reseller.

Oh yeah, the reason the rotor case was wobbling and hitting the stator was because the shaft retainer set screw was loose. If it had run for any length of time the entire "can" would have flown off!

Almost all of my airplanes fly with Scorpion motors. I wish I still had my old job so I could afford to buy one one for the heli.

Joe
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:46 AM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
ouch never seen that before hope you didnt mess up you speed controller to.
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Dec 08, 2010, 05:38 AM
Joined Sep 2009
428 Posts
just ordered a 15t pinion from ready heli and 3 applications of gyro tape from amainhobbies that should finish up all of my gyros. guess ill get them by next week.
anton831 is offline Find More Posts by anton831
Old Dec 08, 2010, 11:15 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
I looked at that Exceed motor but at only 650 watts I'd think it would be over taxed.

Joe
I hear ya and am definitly no 3D flyer but do get a kick out of building something and making it work, altho do have fun flying around if I really wanted get serious then Id prolly spend the big bux for the hitech stuff
Old Dec 08, 2010, 12:50 PM
Barnwell, SC
Barnwell, SC
Joined Sep 2004
843 Posts
Be careful that motor mounting screws are not long enough to contact the windings.
hfenn is offline Find More Posts by hfenn
Old Dec 08, 2010, 01:36 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
How many have THIS motor and what do you think of it? I can find a ton of posts on the 1800kv Typhoon but almost nothing on this 1600kv version.

Joe
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:01 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Quote:
How many have THIS motor and what do you think of it? I can find a ton of posts on the 1800kv Typhoon but almost nothing on this 1600kv version.

Joe
I have this one. In the 500 right now, but it's coming out for basically the same motor but the 1300kv version. It's .. OK. Not as much power as the typhoon, and it seems like it gets hotter than it should. But I didn't take any temps or anything. Wires are quite stiff too. I use a 13T at about 80-90% throttle on 6S.

BTW I also have the same one you got from valuehobby but I got it from HC. It has a flat spot in the throttle between about 40-45 percent, but otherwise works OK. Even though valuehobby didn't mftr it they should reimburse you then they should themselves get reimbursed from the mftr.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:58 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
I have this one. In the 500 right now, but it's coming out for basically the same motor but the 1300kv version. It's .. OK. Not as much power as the typhoon, and it seems like it gets hotter than it should. But I didn't take any temps or anything. Wires are quite stiff too. I use a 13T at about 80-90% throttle on 6S.

BTW I also have the same one you got from valuehobby but I got it from HC. It has a flat spot in the throttle between about 40-45 percent, but otherwise works OK. Even though valuehobby didn't mftr it they should reimburse you then they should themselves get reimbursed from the mftr.
I've seen lots of posts with excessive heat complaints for the 1800kv Typhoon version. Yours is the first for 1600kv. I plan to run 12T pinion and 30C batteries from the start as I don't care about 3D performance. I really hope I won't have to spend megabucks to get a reliable motor.....

Joe
Old Dec 08, 2010, 04:01 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,291 Posts
Quote:
I've seen lots of posts with excessive heat complaints for the 1800kv Typhoon version. Yours is the first for 1600kv. I plan to run 12T pinion and 30C batteries from the start as I don't care about 3D performance. I really hope I won't have to spend megabucks to get a reliable motor.....

Joe
Yeah with all the experimentation in motors I've put into the 500, I could have just gotten 1 Scorpion. BUt now I have all these different kv motors which can be good.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience