Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:27 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Mini-Review
HiSKY FBL 90 Fixed Pitch review/overview

HiSky FBL 90 4CH FP

I received this helicopter from banggood.com and would like to thank them for giving me the opportunity to give a fair and unbiased review. I hope it will give insight and help others interested in this heli to make a determination in whether this helicopter is the right choice for them. If you have any questions or comments feel free to ask. Now on to the review!

HiSKY FBL 90 4CH FP Helicopter Unboxing & Review (11 min 51 sec)

Insights

I really am enjoying this heli! I have put nearly 40 flights on it now and haven’t had one single issue with it after even a few nice crashes into the wall and ground. I just can’t get over how robust this helicopter is. In the past I have been used to finding bent linkages, or them even popping off and having the balls on the swash break off or something on the head getting out of whack. Everything is just so robust on this helicopter that it gives me confidence in flying it, since I don’t feel a worry about parts breaking on me. The blades themselves are also of a thicker build then I’m used to so they also have seen abuse and are still in great visual/flying shape.

The smoothness has been a very welcomed experience in it’s flight characteristics. The gyro does it’s job extremely well and moving in all directions without any unusual characteristics. I do get a tail wobble sometimes. Other than a small wobble every once in a while, the tail feels very well locked in throughout the flight. I keep my flights limited to the 6 minute mark.

This is a really well built helicopter that I feel they put a good amount of time in planning and designing. It’s hard to imagine the small price of this micro helicopter for such a quality built product.

For anyone that is planning to fly on the stock Tx I can’t express enough that the extra $21 price tag for the x-6s radio is 110% worth it. It’s a great feeling radio that has very nice stick movement. Granted it’s not a “pro” level radio, but it certainly is a great starter of a radio that can also be used with the other HiSky products. I much prefer the look and feel of this radio over the Walkera 2402D I used and it has some basic programming as well.

Pro’s:
-Once again a very robust build. The head reminds me of the CP V922 in terms of using thicker build quality
-Smooth and fast with no bad tendencies
-Linear servos and coreless motors
-Everything is easily accessible and has nice plug and play connectors
-includes 2 lipo’s so more flight time without having to purchase more lipo’s
-Comes with a complete set of spare linkages and grommets
-Spare set of main blades and tail blade in lime green
-With the upgraded radio it really feels like a high quality combination
-Minor mixing with adjustable hi/lo rates available

Con’s
-some cosmetic items are weak but this has been seen on most micro models and includes canopy, landing gear and tail fin.
EDIT: Please note that when ordering spare landing gear from banggood, they have now change the formula and the new version landing gear is extremely flexible and bendable so it is no longer a weak part and will take a lot of force.
-Make sure to check for the swash to be level before each flight. Two flights it didn’t level out before taking off and it would tip over on me. This could have been me not setting it down quickly enough after plugging in the lipo, but always a good idea to check before each flight.

Conclusion
Overall I would rate this as probably my favorite flying micro helicopter that I've flown. The flybarless setup certainly keeps things smooth and keeps TBE worry free, the robust build keeps things holding up well even after some pretty solid crashes and it's flight outdoors is better than any other micro FP I've flown.

All in all it's a keeper!

I will continue to update this thread with any new information I run across or acquire in my continued flying. Thanks for taking time to check out the review!

jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7
Last edited by jlcamp7; Jul 05, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:31 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Reserved for future information...

Also if you are interested in the smaller 70 size of this helicopter jameschen072 did a great review of it that you can find located here:

HiSKY FBL 70 Review
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:47 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,292 Posts
Great stuff my friend, I'm really happy to hear that you think it's nice and smooth like how I found my FBL70. I've linked your review and the video onto page one of my review if you don't mind
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:28 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
nice review - is this a 2 servo heli?

and I have to say those photographs are really great - so well lit and great colour saturation - what camera did you use
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:00 AM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Thanks guys. And James of course I don't mind.

@big bird. This is a dual servo setup.

Believe it or not I use my iPhone 5 for most of the pics I take. lol
In editing software I used a filter called Avenue. It's one of my favorite filters to use due to the color saturation.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:44 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
Thanks for the great review!!!

I've got this one on my "to get" list to add to my collection of micro flybarless FP helis.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:06 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Excellent review and worth the extra wait. I actually got it by 10:30 pm Friday night in this time zone.

Did you fly this in any kind of wind at all?

Will you be putting up any flight video?

Thanks for all your work. You and James have a very different review styles (not a bad thing) and I am trying to decide between the 70 or 90 as a (early) retirement gift to myself.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:09 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,822 Posts
LOL Why not both?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:36 AM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
LOL Why not both?
If they had bnf's I would surely think about that . . .

Oh, and can I borrow 80 bucks?

Leaning toward the little guy with the x-6s for now. Nice size for camping and already have lots of batteries.

regards . . . g
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:33 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Hey G,

Other than some smaller winds in the 6-8 mph range I haven't flown this in anything crazy like in James video. However in those winds then it really handled EXTREMELY well. As for flight video I might try to get one up, but it won't be for at least a few days. I am grounded for the moment until I get a hold of a new landing gear set or I guess I could hand launch it. My hopes is one of the lg from one of the blade series micro's will fit and I can just pick up a set next time I'm out by the local hobby shop. Anyone know of an eflite heli that would be considered a 90 size. I'm thinking maybe mcp x? As far as that goes, I have always preferred the lg as seen on the 70 size over the 90. I have owned multiple copters with both "styles" of lg and have always liked the appearance and strength of that style.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:46 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcamp7 View Post
Hey G,

Other than some smaller winds in the 6-8 mph range I haven't flown this in anything crazy like in James video. However in those winds then it really handled EXTREMELY well. As for flight video I might try to get one up, but it won't be for at least a few days. I am grounded for the moment until I get a hold of a new landing gear set or I guess I could hand launch it. My hopes is one of the lg from one of the blade series micro's will fit and I can just pick up a set next time I'm out by the local hobby shop. Anyone know of an eflite heli that would be considered a 90 size. I'm thinking maybe mcp x? As far as that goes, I have always preferred the lg as seen on the 70 size over the 90. I have owned multiple copters with both "styles" of lg and have always liked the appearance and strength of that style.
So from what I have gleaned from the two reviews, it would appear that performance is relatively equal.

'Thanks a lot!'

As I was leaning toward the 70, I was secretly hoping the 90 would suck, thus making my decision easier.

regards . . . g
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
haha sorry about that. Seeing as they both come from the same line and I would assume same development then there's probably not much separating the two other than size. I will say that at least for my own skill level I would consider the 90 to be a little more of an outdoor micro flyer. I can fly it indoors but I keep pretty easy on the sticks in our close quarters home.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Will the production model be the same, or will it feature the Neil Patrick Harris look?
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:13 PM
RC Logger Support
Joined Jan 2010
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Will the production model be the same, or will it feature the Neil Patrick Harris look?
Pretty sure this is the full production model.

Also just to add I am still waiting on going to the hobby shop to hopefully find some new skids to get her back up in the air. Headed there hopefully tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can find something that fits. I see it sitting there on the table and it makes me miss flying it. I would just try tossing it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't setup correctly without first being placed on a flat level surface which I can't do with the broken LG.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:29 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,127 Posts
X-6S Transmitter

I don't have the FBL70 or FBL90 helicopter but I do have the X-6S transmitter. It seems that it is not accurate / precise. Please refer to the video:

HiSKY X-6S Transmitter Accuracy Problem (2 min 9 sec)

Can anyone who has this transmitter, please take a look?
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG