HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
Manhattan, KS
Joined Nov 2005
30 Posts
Discussion
vintage Balsa-Ply ?

A friend of my is looking for a 70ís balsa wood called balsa-ply .

I had never heard of it, but apparently it was a precursor of the lite-ply used today, but lighter in weight. Does anyone still selling this?

Thanks,
Bill
wmfortney@hotmail.com
wfortney99 is offline Find More Posts by wfortney99
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:30 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,899 Posts
Hobby Shack (Now "Hobby People", I think) used to sell it. It was, simply, cross-grain laminated balsa .

I tried it, but found it not to be that special. Screws wouldn't hold into it, for example, nor was it that light. For the few places I can use it, I make my own balsa laminate, using epoxy for the glue.

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Booyal
Joined Aug 2011
985 Posts
One of the arfs that crashed at the club the other day brought up a nice conversation. One of the fellas noticed that the ply in it was in fact balsa either side of the normal core for ply. Interesting to say the least
scrubmonkey is offline Find More Posts by scrubmonkey
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:12 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,818 Posts
Some of the kit manufacturers use a balsa ply in areas where higher stress exists..Top Flite comes to mind....I can't remember which kit(s) but I have noticed it on occasion.

It is sometimes used as a compression resistant former,to resist bowing from high loads squeezing it. The balsa gluing surface is a little better than lite-ply in the same position,in my opinion.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member