HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Discussion
Spektrum DX6i back light and usefull info

Today I fitted an EF back light to my DX6i no problems

I found this product on Amazon.. and i was a bit worried the inverter was for 12v and the TX only uses 6v..so a bit research on the web found some youtube videos and other install instructions

The 12v inverter works fine... but its worth checking the product works before you start cutting it to shape...
Use a 2 cell lipo and shove the red and black wires into the corresponding holes in the lipo's plug... it will light up well..
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Apr 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
first steps
take out the batteries
6 screws to remove and the case will open
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Remove these four plugs with care
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
next to remove is the silver part the aerial is wired too..
only one screw and the part can be pulled from the socket its plugged in to..
remove it and move it out of the way..
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
next steps
The main board is held down with a screw in each corner.. pic1..

The display is underneath and is held onto the main board in white brackets ..

First remove the ribbon cable pic 2, by easing the grey bar out, it loosens the ribbon so it can be pulled gently out

with two more screws to remove the brackets are off and the display can be removed...pic3

note which way the brackets are orientated and how they hold the display .. they have two locating pins that go through holes in the board
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
The EL pad has to be marked and cut.. the blue face gives off the light and this goes behind the display..
I placed the display onto the pad so the pads connection came out clear and to one side of the ribbon cable..I drew round the display and cut the pad to the same size with some scissors

sorry no real pics but here is before and what was left over..the waste..the terminal tags came out from the bottom of the pad as shown here
Last edited by davereap; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Reading and watching net info, there are some mixed methods..to fit the pad..and with what the display needs doing to it...
some advocate the removal of a layer from the display....NOT A GOOD IDEA the light from the pad is more than strong enough to go through the layer and the display

This is what i did...
look closely at the brackets.. inside there are various small raised moldings, sections which hold the display better in place...remove all these with a scalpel and the pad and display will fit in nicely..
Remember the blue side of the pad goes against the back of the display....then the light will shine through...its obvious but its easy to get muddled when you are fitting it al back together.

Holding the brackets with display and pad in place we now refit it ... two screws to hold the brackets...

Now go back through the directions to replace all the parts..except the silver part that attaches to the aerial

note on the ribbon cable ..insert with care and push the grey bar in to lock it in place

Double sided tape will hold the inverterbox to the case.. there is room on the right hand side of the main board..
All that remains is to shorten the leads which are all overlong... cut, then resolder together for the inverter to the pad, remembering to tape or shrink wrap the exposed wires.... and now cut and solder the power leads...as pic1

lastly replace the silver part ...one socket to plug into and one screw to fit
make sure you get all the legs into the correct holes
Last edited by davereap; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:32 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Finally put all the sockets back in position and refit the back of the case...
switch on with fingers crossed.... lol... no seriously it worked fine
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Binding

might be useful
Binding The Spektrum DX6i to orange rec (2 min 39 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Apr 13, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Cheap compatible recievers are available on ebay and through shops..

are they any good? watch the video
Kevin flies his plank 1km with cheap reciever, by phone.AVI (3 min 28 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Apr 13, 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:15 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
As an aside .. when you power up the TX and the RX it binds with a solid light..
If you change the battery without turning off the TX the receivers indicator light will flash..

The flashing is an indication of the interuption in power..

Turn the TX off .. then back on, as you change the battery and this will get you a full on bind light..

note my rec worked fine for a flight whilst flashing...then I figured out the problem and the solution
Last edited by davereap; May 01, 2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
This is call Brownout Detection and it's a Spektrum feature only available on DSM2 receviers. If you have a DSMX receiver but it's bound to a DSM2 radio this feature will be enable (99% sure of this) But this Brownout Detection feature does not work with DSMX receiver purely because of the nature DSMX works.

You can easily trigger the brownout detection feature by removing power to the receiver and powering back on without powering the radio off, you will have no issues flying but you are defeating the purpose of the feature.

If you start a flight with solid light but the plane comes back with flashing LED indicating Brownout, then you must look at your power system and find the problem and fix it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:06 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
Elevon Throws
Have you noticed that with the elevon mixing active your servos dont move much..
I did and even increased the travel to max at 125% , but its still not giving a normal full throw to the servo arm...

timatworksg has a solution....
Guess you found it out with DX6i elevon issue. Yes plug it in the wrong way and all goes wack..lol! If I'm not mistaken it's starboard servo into Aileron and Port servo to elevator. Then if going the wrong way...reverse either till it's right. Not sure if newer DX6i's have corrected the elevon throw issue but you may have come across it on YouTube. The prob was when selecting Elevon wing type, the servos work but with limited throws. They wouldn't go max. The mixes were needed so mix 1 (Aileron-Aileron/up and down +125%-switch ON and Trim ACT) mix 2 (Elevator-Elevator/up and down +125%-switch ON and Trim ACT) that way you get the full throws and allows for travel adjustments via the mixes. Prob is...it uses all of the DX6's mixes leaving you with none...sigh** But works for me and the builds so I'm not fussy
Old Apr 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Elevon Throws
Have you noticed that with the elevon mixing active your servos dont move much..
I did and even increased the travel to max at 125% , but its still not giving a normal full throw to the servo arm. ....
That's not a problem and infact it's the other way around that is the problem. Most if not all radio do or should have reduce travel in elevon mixing.

DX6i elevon mixing is reduce to 50% travel for one direction or for one control surface deflection to allow for a combine 100% when you apply 2 direction or 2 control surface deflection.

Pulling up and turning right for example will cause the servo to reach full deflection or travel of 100%

Some radio like the DX8, since is can have 150% travel rate will have a reduce elevon travel rate of 75% when only one control is moved and then 150% when 2 are moved.

Radio's that DO NOT reduce travel in elevon mixing can damage servos if you are not carefull.

The work around for the DX6i to use normal aileron wing type and using mixing to get elevons but at a higher rate, you will see you are over drivign the servos when you apply 2 controls at once and this solution was I think for some radios that did not have equal travel of the 2 elevon control when in elevon mixing.

I have elevon plane that I used to fly with DX6i but now on the DX8 but on the DX6i I had no issues with elevon mixing. Looking for a solution when you do have a problem is pointless.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:56 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,908 Posts
It doesnt work like that with my futaba... I get 100% on ailerons and 100% elevator in the elevon mix..but it doesnt overdo the movement if both are applied at the same time..
how its done I dont know, but I prefer it like the futaba..