HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 01, 2012, 06:11 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
Hi, just read your manual. This wasn't posted on the site:

"Although the brushless BLS950 servos are very efficient, it is still too much to power them via the standard WK-M or Naza 5V supplies. What is required is a separate 6V BEC that only powers the gimbal servos. In order to do this, a special wiring harness is required that supplies the gimbal servos with 6V from the BEV and the signal leads from the gimbal controller."

Does this stuff come with the gimbal?
Wingbreaker is offline Find More Posts by Wingbreaker
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
yep... i love TC

you always know what you are going to get with him. Anyone that gets mad at him just does not come to the discussion with the correct amount of prior knowledge.

he is true to himself, which i can respect..... for sure
Yup, he is a class act. Very smart, very bias and very true to himself. I just love his idiosyncrasies. OTOH he is also very helpful and has a lot of knowledge. You just have to understand his humor.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old May 01, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingbreaker View Post
Hi, just read your manual. This wasn't posted on the site:

"Although the brushless BLS950 servos are very efficient, it is still too much to power them via the standard WK-M or Naza 5V supplies. What is required is a separate 6V BEC that only powers the gimbal servos. In order to do this, a special wiring harness is required that supplies the gimbal servos with 6V from the BEV and the signal leads from the gimbal controller."

Does this stuff come with the gimbal?
I doubt it.
SeismicCWave is online now Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old May 01, 2012, 06:56 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
you do need to make these cables and get the bec. may be it is a product we can provide at a small cost.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 07:07 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
its a simple Y cable that has the signal wire split off from the power and ground....

just take a servo extension.... pull out the signal wire... put the signal wire into a blank servo connector... and leave the power and ground in the original connector.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 01, 2012, 08:41 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
RC-Drones currerntly has my Gimble and is assembling. At this time I will be using the WK-M to control the Gimble, however the Manuel suggest using a dedicated Gimble Controller. Can anybody suggest a vender for this? Tony will be using a 6v BEC.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old May 01, 2012, 09:46 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
If you want the best

Picloc

For gimbal controller..... Otherwise the guys here are working on using TimeCops Naza32

PhotoHigher has a new controller

And HoverFly is suppose to release a new board soon as well
Old May 01, 2012, 10:57 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
its a simple Y cable that has the signal wire split off from the power and ground....

just take a servo extension.... pull out the signal wire... put the signal wire into a blank servo connector... and leave the power and ground in the original connector.
i'm technically challenged. i understand what your saying to do. however where do these cables go? the diagram on the instructions are chinese to me. I need to get a bec, I understand that but not understanding the wiring. i'm visual guy. i need a picture. Is it like this?
How To Wire A RC BEC How To Connect A BEC On Your RC Car or Truck (5 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Wingbreaker; May 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 01, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, TX, El Paso
Joined Apr 2012
527 Posts
Exactly why I'm using RC-Drones to put mine together. I'm a photographer not an accomplished rc heli guy. Hopefully it's mostly plug and play once it is together.
Jeffem62 is offline Find More Posts by Jeffem62
Old May 01, 2012, 11:45 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
RC-drones does a great job..... Tony's a great builder
Old May 01, 2012, 11:54 PM
Video Juggernaut
FL
Joined Nov 2003
2,740 Posts
so will i be powering my RX or the WK-M with the bec? Which one should I get?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...R-VR_UBEC.html

I never buy BECs as I never need them. i got one on my 51" 3dhs slick but that came with the motor from matrofly.
Old May 02, 2012, 12:00 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i would get a Castle Creations BEC

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html

$25 for a fully adjustable voltage and high quality components..... this is my recommendation
Old May 02, 2012, 12:00 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I really want to turn a small distribution board for this. basically small board with 4 servo connector (2in and 2 out) and connection for the BEC. I should just draw one up and order it from dorkbotpdx.com it would simplify connecting this a lot. I also need to do a distro board for the crab as well. I guess I need to find time. lol

we had good luck with CC and DE (dimension engineering) BECs. I know gary wants to test cheaper HK stuff, but have not done the testing yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 12:03 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
do we know the real amp draw of the 2 brushless servos? would 3a be enough?

i would love a little custom power disto.... but it needs a power output for the Naza32 also
Old May 02, 2012, 12:08 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
naze32 uses tiny amount of power. would be easy to add 5v or even 3.3v linear reg to run off the 6v. (assuming you don't want to run naze off the esc)

real true 3amp continous rated bec is probably enough for 2 servo. it needs to be solid design to take the peak power, but I've been fine with sportbec, and it is only rated for 3.5amp.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread