HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
A lot can be said of what model and brands and since this is about the kc808 it has more lag than the Kodak zi8 lol how much never said

With the cam it is not about the quickness at start up. And using it outside the photo Aeriel, it is about setting up the cam and making sure you are in perfect alignment and having workable video. Rush to the start will lead to just wasted shots
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3 Posts
possible problem with external power

hi!

i have one of those great cameras and i am fully satisfied - except one little issue, that drives me crazy...

-) camera is set to "auto power off" = "off" (0)
-) this works when camera is not connected to external power supply (the camera stays on until the battery would be empty)
-) when connected to external power supply (not PC!), there happen different things:
a) camera is switched on when external power is already connected: camera turns off after 15-90 seconds!
b) external power is connected after the camera has been switched on: camera goes out ~30 seconds after external power is connected.

can anybody tell me, if that's also the fact with his/her camera?
is this behaviour intended?

brgds, hans.
ufo-hans is offline Find More Posts by ufo-hans
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mtz
Romania, PH, Ploiesti
Joined Mar 2012
552 Posts
First, try to charge your battery. Charge it at least 15 minutes.
Mtz is offline Find More Posts by Mtz
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2007
3 Posts
battery is fully charged (green light went out already). same behaviour. camera auto powers off with external power supply connected, allthough auto power off is disabled (and it really IS disabled, because the camera stays on when not externally powered...).

brgds, hans.
ufo-hans is offline Find More Posts by ufo-hans
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufo-hans View Post
hi!

i have one of those great cameras and i am fully satisfied - except one little issue, that drives me crazy...

-) camera is set to "auto power off" = "off" (0)
-) this works when camera is not connected to external power supply (the camera stays on until the battery would be empty)
-) when connected to external power supply (not PC!), there happen different things:
a) camera is switched on when external power is already connected: camera turns off after 15-90 seconds!
b) external power is connected after the camera has been switched on: camera goes out ~30 seconds after external power is connected.

can anybody tell me, if that's also the fact with his/her camera?
is this behaviour intended?

brgds, hans.
Works perfectly with my cameras

Somehow your camera is not getting the correct voltage.

Are you sure your external USB power is 5V +- 5% and you have a good USB power cable?
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Feb 2011
37 Posts
Content: Camera Lithium Metal Batteries not restricted as per P1970. Equipment containing no more than 2 batteries or 4 cells.

Safe and soundly here in the UK by DHL.
stvn758 is offline Find More Posts by stvn758
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1993 View Post
what i can say is in the eletop email mandy was quite adamant about not selling the lens separate and claimed none of the others do either. anyway for 9 bucks its not a big problem. and i do plan experiments with lenses from some of the older 808s and omnivision modules. so that should be fun.

ps after upgrading firmware considerable problems cropped up with the new power button timing so back to 0.36. looks like no motion sense or time lapse for me.
The old SD model 808 lenses will not fit... they are M6, not M7 threads.

What kind of problems does the start-up delay cause? Most like the delay with .49FW because the prior faster start resulted in inadvertent activation when carry in a pocket.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:55 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
at #16 keychain camera!!!

Had a nice flight out in the country,getting some of the last color since the hurricane will blow all the leaves away.
Was such a good flight,calm air nice scenery...but the camera did not record!!

Had the view rotated 180,same settings as always use.
Turn cam on red>yellow,ready to record.
Press shutter button,led starts blinking so i know it's recording.
Land,no blinking led !
Was warm out to,battery fully charged,card empty...son of a...!!

Talk about aggravated...sigh...

This is the second time i've had issue with this latest fw and not recording.
About ready to go back to the v40 er what ever the # is before this last one...or use the camera as a baseball and take a swing. try for a home run.

Camera has worked so well for so long,and now these non record issues since upgrading to the latest fw....i don't get it.

Oh,before i left i recorded a short 30 sec clip just to "engage" the 180 rotate setting since i had just made the change with the gui,was trying to be sure everything was all set...and that video came out fine,go figure.

Time to put the feet up and chill.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post

Had a nice flight out in the country,getting some of the last color since the hurricane will blow all the leaves away.

Land,no blinking led !

About ready to go back to the v40 er what ever the # is before this last one...or use the camera as a baseball and take a swing. try for a home run.

Camera has worked so well for so long,and now these non record issues since upgrading to the latest fw....i don't get it.

Oh,before i left i recorded a short 30 sec clip just to "engage" the 180 rotate setting since i had just made the change with the gui,was trying to be sure everything was all set...and that video came out fine,go figure.

Just because the battery appears to charge OK with the green light turning off does NOT mean the battery is healthy! Lipos will charge to essentially full voltage, even when they are nearly worn out. But as they age and deteriorate they lose their ability to store a full charge and/or to deliver whatever charge is stored while keeping the voltage under load high enough to keep the camera operating. It's not the camera or the FW. Replace your battery with a good one, and I think all will be well again.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,302 Posts
Quote:

Land,no blinking led !

Ridgewalker I will not preach a battery speach to ya.

Yes was a warm day, and wondering if it is really a Micro sd card issue, Yep sure can be?

I say you deleted files off, but at given times a format is needed, and letting the camera do that format. that willsolve what you may have thought was recording, but ws flashing sd card full?
Would have loved to see some Bostonian footage

Thanks for sharing your frustration out on the KC here
fishycomics is offline Find More Posts by fishycomics
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:45 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Wired up the 808 for some live video. Was looking at the breakout cable and decided to wire this sucker to the main battery like I have the vTx. Since 12v might be a little much for the 808 I ran over to RS and picked up a $2 7805 5v regulator. Took one servo wire and rearranged the pins in the power in and bingo, 5v from 2s+ battery.

A little hear shrink and it's working great.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:47 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Since I can only post one image per post here is a closer image of the wiring. It really is plug and play :-)
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,779 Posts
New to the thread.... be gentle.

I just ordered an 808 #16v2 with 120 degree lens for FPV applications. I have read the FAQs and a lot of posts. I did not see this question answered. I intend to power my camera off my receiver 5v (output of ESC BEC). I have read a lot of posts about the camera shutting down if the battery gets low or goes bad. If the camera is configured with the video out "on" and the battery goes bad or gets weak, will I lose video out even with a good 5v external source conected? My big concern is going blind while FPVing. Thanx for all your work on this thread and the tools. Best.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Witch over San Diego
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:53 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,918 Posts
I guess the battery could be getting tired,it is after all, the original battery for the camera which was purchased Dec.2011.

Plugged the camera into the pc for a charge,took 5 min,for this particular camera that tells me the battery wasn't empty.

Now lets start it recording,see how long the camera records.
After observing the led blinking yellow at 30 min i felt satisfied the battery is holding a charge and performing correctly for my needs.

Check the 30 min vid and all is good with entire video.

I get to thinking..."only thing i'm doing different is using the latest fw and mounting the camera with the buttons facing down." (180 rotate is on)

On the side of my fpv cam is an L shaped piece of aluminum,imagine an L upside down.
My #16 velcros to that and hangs,hence the need for the 180 rotate.

Well....i secure the #16 to the velcro and press it on the velcro,give it a little wiggle to be sure it's holding on well.
It's a tight space between the #16 and the nose of the wing,so i can just get my finger tips under the cam...you know whats coming.

Yup

Finger tips are hitting the camera buttons and ...well,causing me grief.

Was able to reproduce the issue while having the camera in my hands.
The cam on and press the shutter button to start recording and observe the yellow led blinking...all good....(when on the plane this would be the part of the video where you see fingers and shoes as the camera is attached to it's velcro mount.).

So cam recording ,yellow blinking and i press the power button real quick.
Red led flashes 3 times and all lights turn off,hmmm.
I go to turn on the camera pressing the power button,red led flashes a few times (didn't count) then yellow led turns on solid,as if ready.
Press shutter button to start record,camera turns off.

So i plug into the pc to check and see if that video that was recording with the camera in my hand,see if it recorded any video before i hit the button.

Guess what,no video!...this is a good thing really!

That explains why today even though the camera recording was started before the camera was mounted on the plane there wasn't any video on the card up to the point where the camera turned off.
Pressing the shutter button real quick while recording ended up stopping the recording and not saving it.(no kidding ) !

Happy to have figured that out.
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:38 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,724 Posts
Quote:
I get to thinking..."only thing i'm doing different is using the latest fw and mounting the camera with the buttons facing down." (180 rotate is on)

able to reproduce the issue while having the camera in my hands.
The cam on and press the shutter button to start recording and observe the yellow led blinking...all good....(when on the plane this would be the part of the video where you see fingers and shoes as the camera is attached to it's velcro mount.).

So cam recording ,yellow blinking and i press the power button real quick.
Red led flashes 3 times and all lights turn off,hmmm.
I go to turn on the camera pressing the power button,red led flashes a few times (didn't count) then yellow led turns on solid,as if ready.
Press shutter button to start record,camera turns off.

So i plug into the pc to check and see if that video that was recording with the camera in my hand,see if it recorded any video before i hit the button.

Guess what,no video!...this is a good thing really!

That explains why today even though the camera recording was started before the camera was mounted on the plane there wasn't any video on the card up to the point where the camera turned off.
Pressing the shutter button real quick while recording ended up stopping the recording and not saving it.(no kidding ) !

Happy to have figured that out.
I tried to duplicate the problem with FW v0.49 with 180 deg. rotation turned on, but could not. My other settings are probably different, so maybe there is some conflict in settings that has not been reported and debugged.

Maybe you can post your config file when the camera does this so it can be tested?