HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
I've searched this thread (and elsewhere) but didn't find a definitive answer. Does the Fly Sky CT6B receiver have a settable fail safe? Because turning off the transmitter just keeps everything where it was before loss of signal. If it does have a fail safe, how the heck do you set it? And if there is no way to set one, is there any other workaround?
mark_a_l is offline Find More Posts by mark_a_l
Last edited by mark_a_l; Oct 06, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:57 PM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_a_l View Post
I've searched this thread (and elsewhere) but didn't find a definitive answer. Does the Fly Sky CT6B receiver have a settable fail safe? Because turning off the transmitter just keeps everything where it was before loss of signal. If it does have a fail safe, how the heck do you set it? And if there is no way to set one, is there any other workaround?
Mark

I think I was the first one to use the Flysky Tx/Rx with miru mod and I have not found a fail safe.
Keeping the battery good in the TX is the best fail safe that you have for this radio. Rechargeible batteries and a charger like the ones Futatba uses for their Tx will work in the FlySky.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:25 AM
Aerhead
MN
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Harvest

Mark

I just read your PM and I don't have a copy of the sketch but I know where to get it. It is harvest time here for the next couple of weeks so I would not be able to get it to you for a while. If you read the post on this thread around the time I was setting up the radio I think you would find all the mods you would need. I'm just a farmer and I got to work very well. If you do some programming is C you should have no problem with arduino programming.
You may have read I'm trying to put a buzzer on the drone that would help find a lost drone. If you could wright a mod program for that it could help you find yours when the Tx malfunctions. The fun part of doing a mod is learning how stuff works by trying little mods of your own and seeing if they work.

Larry
Aerhead is offline Find More Posts by Aerhead
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerhead View Post
Mark

I just read your PM and I don't have a copy of the sketch but I know where to get it. It is harvest time here for the next couple of weeks so I would not be able to get it to you for a while. If you read the post on this thread around the time I was setting up the radio I think you would find all the mods you would need. I'm just a farmer and I got to work very well. If you do some programming is C you should have no problem with arduino programming.
You may have read I'm trying to put a buzzer on the drone that would help find a lost drone. If you could wright a mod program for that it could help you find yours when the Tx malfunctions. The fun part of doing a mod is learning how stuff works by trying little mods of your own and seeing if they work.

Larry
Thanks. I just was not sure which of the 'options' should be used with this setup. All of my programming has been with various forms of Basic (Basic Stamp, Basic Atom etc) so C is not exactly my thing (nor do I really care to learn it). I guess I can just use trial and error. But if anyone else knows which options should be used for the CT6B, a PM would be appreciated.

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but why not just use one of those cheap low battery piezo alarms for a lost drone finder? They plug right into the charge cable. Yes, you have to wait until a low battery triggers it, but it will keep 'chirping' for quite a while. It's what I have been using on mine.

As far as the lack of a fail safe goes, I think I saw a post about a possible workaround, but not sure how easy it would be to implement. Perhaps if the arduino did not see any changes in the controls for x amount of time, it could assume it has lost connection and then just initiate a land. It might only need to monitor one control like the yaw, since it normally would always be pretty active.

I fly my drone pretty high and sometimes the wind starts to carry it away and it takes some pretty aggressive pitch to try and get it back. One time I could not make any headway, but luckily I was able to bring it back down low enough to initiate an emergence stop. But if it's way up there and I lose the connection, it will probably be bye bye drone.
Last edited by mark_a_l; Oct 07, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Miru Mod Friends
UFO Doctor

The central cross can break at hard landings. The old UFO Doctor and his 8 year old granddaughter smashed 3 Parrot Central Crosses!

A very efficient and simple shock protection has been presented by Candu1.

In short, with standard 4.5x1.34x200 mm cable ties you can prevent damages at hard landings by a factor of 2!

Please have a look at the following report:
http://ufo-doctor.ch/descriptions/Pa...y%20Candu1.pdf

Kind regards
UFO Doctor
Thandks UFO Doctor for an excellent detailed documentation of a "scientific" test using available test equipment on the cable tie landing gear! Just an update on actual usage:

I tried a "high altitude" normal landing from about 30 feet this morning, just to see how the ardrone would react. It dropped rapidly until it gets to within a couple of feet from the ground and it slowed its descend to a "perfect" landing on all fours. However, the left front cable tie landing gear snapped in two. The landing was a litter harder than normal but not really that bad so the cable tie could have failed from material fatigue, since it flexes on every landing.

Candu1 is offline Find More Posts by Candu1
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:56 AM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
But if anyone else knows which options should be used for the CT6B, a PM would be appreciated.
A thank you goes to ssgtmacgyver for helping me out with this, as well as having such an easy to use kit. I'm one of those folks who loves to tinker with things, but I just did not have the time to start from scratch.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:13 AM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
A thank you goes to ssgtmacgyver for helping me out with this, as well as having such an easy to use kit. I'm one of those folks who loves to tinker with things, but I just did not have the time to start from scratch.
Good to hear a solution to your question. I don't have a CT6B but may be you can post the solution here for future reference?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:04 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdã
Joined Feb 2006
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Doctor View Post
Dear Candu1

Congratulations to your feet design and many thanks for the perfect documentation!

Kind regards
UFU Doctor
Yest it is usefull to me too. many thanks!
dagob is offline Find More Posts by dagob
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:39 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdã
Joined Feb 2006
76 Posts
Can I use an Arduino Nano V3.0 instead of Arduino Pro Mini? The Nano V3 comes with usb plug.
dagob is offline Find More Posts by dagob
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagob View Post
Can I use an Arduino Nano V3.0 instead of Arduino Pro Mini? The Nano V3 comes with usb plug.
Yes. I just wired up my Nano yesterday and I can confirm that it does work with the Mirumod.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Oct 2011
3 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Miru & Candu - as you probably guessed Im a newbie drone owner - new drone and new to lipoly batterys.

I finally got to do some more this weekend (busy in day job last week). It looks like for some reason the drone believed the fully charged battery was not charged enough so went into shut down...

I switched to testing with another battery and its working great (the question of the battery is another thing I have to dig into).

Still, it meant I did have to read the code and understand more what you have done Miru so its all good.

Thanks again for a great mod and the help.
crushed is offline Find More Posts by crushed
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,243 Posts
Anyone have one of these already built that they are willing to sell? I want one to use with my Futaba FASST RX.

Thanks
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Esprit Saga
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphee View Post
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51
This may be a stupid question, but I am getting the same 'problem' message as above when I try to upload to the arduino. Does the arduino have to be connected to a reciever during the upload?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Vista, CA
Joined Feb 2008
1,269 Posts
Quote:
This may be a stupid question, but I am getting the same 'problem' message as above when I try to upload to the arduino. Does the arduino have to be connected to a reciever during the upload?
No, the receiver does not have to be connected.
miru is offline Find More Posts by miru
Old Oct 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miru View Post
No, the receiver does not have to be connected.
Then any idea why I am getting that message and is it important?

Doh! Never mind. Might help if I select the right com port.

This was my first attempt at loading a program and the error looked like a code error. A 'no communication with arduino' would be a little less cryptic.
Last edited by mark_a_l; Oct 14, 2011 at 09:40 PM.