SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 26, 2014, 05:57 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
jaskel's Avatar
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
I have a partially built one if anyone in Australia wants one..unfinished build, make an offer
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2014, 06:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
416 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having some wierd probems with my EEP-FPV. I am running an NTM 3536 1400kv motor (or there abouts), and a 70amp ESC (overkill I know). I am spinning a 10*6 prop 2 bladed prop. Previously I was using a 10 inch 3 bladed prop. I have now basically destroyed 3 batteries with it, all Nano tech, with very high discharge ratings. My latest batteries to go puffy are two Nano tech 3S 4000mah, with a 45-90C rating. I only got about 9 minutes flight time out of them, before I had massive performance sag, and was forced to land, when I landed they were badly puffed up and unusable. (two flights, two batteries). I was never at full throttle, and maintained probably 60% throttle for most of the flight, maybe going to 80% once. The same thing happened last week to a 4S 6000mah nanotech, with the same configuration, (but the puffing wasn't as bad, and the battery is still usable). Im not sure what I am missing here, I can't understand why the plane is chewing through my batteries so badly. My config is pretty draggy, even for this beast, as its had some *rough* landings that may have needed *some* repairs, but even then I can't understand why my batteries are getting destroyed. Some help would be much appreciated. When I ran the 3 bladed prop and the two 3S 4000mah nanotechs in parallel, I never puffed my batteries, and I got half decent flight time, so Im confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Thorton82 is online now Find More Posts by Thorton82
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2014, 07:07 AM
Fix it till its broke!
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton82 View Post
Hey guys, I'm having some wierd probems with my EEP-FPV. I am running an NTM 3536 1400kv motor (or there abouts), and a 70amp ESC (overkill I know). I am spinning a 10*6 prop 2 bladed prop. Previously I was using a 10 inch 3 bladed prop. I have now basically destroyed 3 batteries with it, all Nano tech, with very high discharge ratings. My latest batteries to go puffy are two Nano tech 3S 4000mah, with a 45-90C rating. I only got about 9 minutes flight time out of them, before I had massive performance sag, and was forced to land, when I landed they were badly puffed up and unusable. (two flights, two batteries). I was never at full throttle, and maintained probably 60% throttle for most of the flight, maybe going to 80% once. The same thing happened last week to a 4S 6000mah nanotech, with the same configuration, (but the puffing wasn't as bad, and the battery is still usable). Im not sure what I am missing here, I can't understand why the plane is chewing through my batteries so badly. My config is pretty draggy, even for this beast, as its had some *rough* landings that may have needed *some* repairs, but even then I can't understand why my batteries are getting destroyed. Some help would be much appreciated. When I ran the 3 bladed prop and the two 3S 4000mah nanotechs in parallel, I never puffed my batteries, and I got half decent flight time, so Im confused. Any help would be appreciated.
first thing i would do is order a current meter so you can check what's actually happening to your batteries.

something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-60...item3a9241534a
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:17 AM
Semper Fi
greedyg76's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
You really cant tell anything for sure untill you figure out how many amps your power system is pulling with the various props. HobbyKings Watt meter has worked well for me and its a lot cheaper than the "other one"...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 07:31 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
You really cant tell anything for sure untill you figure out how many amps your power system is pulling with the various props. HobbyKings Watt meter has worked well for me and its a lot cheaper than the "other one"...
Do you think extra drag has added to my draw? I've fitted two huge wheels and landing gear for rough runways, and Im wandering if the extra drag is asking too much from the batteries? I would think the nano techs would be able to handle it regardless.
Thorton82 is online now Find More Posts by Thorton82
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2014, 04:02 PM
Semper Fi
greedyg76's Avatar
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton82 View Post
Do you think extra drag has added to my draw? I've fitted two huge wheels and landing gear for rough runways, and Im wandering if the extra drag is asking too much from the batteries? I would think the nano techs would be able to handle it regardless.
This plane is a draggy beast anyhow, doubt a couple wheels could make that much difference

We still need some solid numbers in order to figure this out:

How many amps is this motor/prop pulling ?
How many miliamps are the batteries taking to charge?
How low are you going on cell voltage on the discharge cycle?

My heavy and modified EPP FPV will fly for 20 minutes with 12" prop on a 3s 4400mAh 25c battery and I still have 20% capacity on the battery when landing.
You
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Last edited by greedyg76; Aug 19, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:01 AM
BashMonkeyRC
KNote72's Avatar
United States, OR, Marcola
Joined Sep 2013
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton82 View Post
Hey guys, I'm having some wierd probems with my EEP-FPV. I am running an NTM 3536 1400kv motor (or there abouts), and a 70amp ESC (overkill I know). I am spinning a 10*6 prop 2 bladed prop. Previously I was using a 10 inch 3 bladed prop. I have now basically destroyed 3 batteries with it, all Nano tech, with very high discharge ratings. My latest batteries to go puffy are two Nano tech 3S 4000mah, with a 45-90C rating. I only got about 9 minutes flight time out of them, before I had massive performance sag, and was forced to land, when I landed they were badly puffed up and unusable. (two flights, two batteries). I was never at full throttle, and maintained probably 60% throttle for most of the flight, maybe going to 80% once. The same thing happened last week to a 4S 6000mah nanotech, with the same configuration, (but the puffing wasn't as bad, and the battery is still usable). Im not sure what I am missing here, I can't understand why the plane is chewing through my batteries so badly. My config is pretty draggy, even for this beast, as its had some *rough* landings that may have needed *some* repairs, but even then I can't understand why my batteries are getting destroyed. Some help would be much appreciated. When I ran the 3 bladed prop and the two 3S 4000mah nanotechs in parallel, I never puffed my batteries, and I got half decent flight time, so Im confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Not saying this is definitively the issue in your case, but the 2200 3s nanotech I got for my Bixler 2 started puffing after just a few flights (none of them even dropping below 11.1v). My power system at the time only pulled 30A, and my zippy flew with it just fine. I did a lookup and a number of sources, I think even a test on flitetest, found that nanotech's were a mixed bag of reliability in terms of handling their rated power draw
KNote72 is online now Find More Posts by KNote72
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2014, 04:18 AM
Registered User
mike_o's Avatar
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton82 View Post
Hey guys, I'm having some wierd probems with my EEP-FPV. I am running an NTM 3536 1400kv motor (or there abouts), and a 70amp ESC (overkill I know). I am spinning a 10*6 prop 2 bladed prop. Previously I was using a 10 inch 3 bladed prop. I have now basically destroyed 3 batteries with it, all Nano tech, with very high discharge ratings. My latest batteries to go puffy are two Nano tech 3S 4000mah, with a 45-90C rating. I only got about 9 minutes flight time out of them, before I had massive performance sag, and was forced to land, when I landed they were badly puffed up and unusable. (two flights, two batteries). I was never at full throttle, and maintained probably 60% throttle for most of the flight, maybe going to 80% once. The same thing happened last week to a 4S 6000mah nanotech, with the same configuration, (but the puffing wasn't as bad, and the battery is still usable). Im not sure what I am missing here, I can't understand why the plane is chewing through my batteries so badly. My config is pretty draggy, even for this beast, as its had some *rough* landings that may have needed *some* repairs, but even then I can't understand why my batteries are getting destroyed. Some help would be much appreciated. When I ran the 3 bladed prop and the two 3S 4000mah nanotechs in parallel, I never puffed my batteries, and I got half decent flight time, so Im confused. Any help would be appreciated.
Common cause for puffing is depleting the cells; Maybe your ESC doesn't cut out at the correct, low voltage. If only flying at 60%, you might not notice the decreasing power. And if you've tested a 4S package and gone back to 3S, at some point the cut-out voltage must have changed.

Doesn't explain the short flight times, though....
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2014, 04:20 AM
Registered User
mike_o's Avatar
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
I have a partially built one if anyone in Australia wants one..unfinished build, make an offer

Could you stuff it with enough batteries and let it fly itself to Denmark?
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2014, 03:37 AM
Registered User
Hasse H's Avatar
Finland, Petalax
Joined Jun 2006
66 Posts
Very good aircraft, flies quietly and stably. Some pictures of how I built my model.

Data.
Wingspan: 1800mm
Length: 1150mm
Flying Weight: Approx 2000 g.
Wing loading: 41 g / dm 2

Accessories that I used.

Engine: NTM 3536/910 kv
ESC: HK 50 A BluSeries
Prop: APC 11x5.5
Servo: HK 939. metal gear
Battery: 14.8V 4000 mAh

http://www.netikka.net/hasses-modell...-fpv-1800.html
Hasse H is offline Find More Posts by Hasse H
Last edited by Hasse H; Oct 22, 2014 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! how to fix this hobby king plane gazza2003au Australia 29 Mar 15, 2011 11:16 PM
Discussion Hobby King New FPV plane bignose13 FPV Aircraft 141 Nov 24, 2010 01:04 AM
Discussion New EPP FPV plane catamar FPV Aircraft 9 Oct 12, 2010 05:29 PM
Discussion Hobby King FPV help! Polarity for RX? Rooster433 FPV Talk 6 Oct 10, 2010 07:24 PM
Discussion Hobby King Christen Eagle Aerobatic Micro plane EPP Kit w/ Motor & ESC TopFoam Micro Ready-to-Fly 3 Apr 18, 2010 06:00 PM