SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
Thank you for the info. Guess a second Champ will have to be ordered.

Miguel
Tree Finder is offline Find More Posts by Tree Finder
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:41 AM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Flying with lipos in the frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veccster View Post
Wanted to fly today and it was about 32'F outside. I fabbed up some battery insulation that worked well. Thought I'd share some pictures.
Hello all, your idea made me doing the same on my Champ.

I made a sort of "sock" for my lipo, built in a piece of protective packaging foam and with some tape.

No need to hollow out for the battery to sit. I simply put the sock in the original place for the battery, with a rubber band around the plane nose to immobilize it. As the sock is not too narrow, I can exchange lipos without removing the sock and rubber.

Tested this morning : works perfectly

Weather is a bit cold here today (5 to 10C, about 40 to 50F) but NOW my lipos aren't cold at all; in fact when exchanging them, they are a little warm : very good insulating solution, thank you Veccster
michelp is offline Find More Posts by michelp
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
Beginner on HZ Champ
France, Bretagne, Quimper
Joined Sep 2011
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10 View Post
with my wing i just put some epoxy on it and let it dry and it hasn't broken yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Epoxy works fine...no problems. CA will eat the foam unless it is labeled "foam safe".
Quote:
Originally Posted by monboy10 View Post
i just used 5 min epoxy and i've never had anything melt
After making my horrible wings repairs, which did not lasted more than a few weeks (see here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post19984389 ),
I've finally done it with epoxy as everybody advise me to do.

Definitively more solid, dispite some "space" between foam pieces !

I also put a two-millimeters rod on the top (fiber glass, because carbon fiber not found at home), making it even more solid (but rod is bended to diedral and still a bit flexible so it can handle some minor crash). I made a bed to deal perfectly with diedral.

michelp is offline Find More Posts by michelp
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
semper mitis
Paducah, Kentucky
Joined Nov 2004
958 Posts
I unfortunately broke my wing getting my champ out of the tree with the football. When I made the repairs are used approximately 1 cm of the wooden toothpicks that I have points on both ends. Using medium thickness foam safe CA glue and clear packing tape the wing is as good as new. I bang it frequently off my wife's car when she parks on runway/driveway. It has held on without problem.
gentle ben is offline Find More Posts by gentle ben
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:21 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,586 Posts
Well I got to maiden my Champ on wheels today and it went so well I stuck the floats on and found some water.

I have good news, bad news, and better news..........
The good: Water take off and landing is piece of cake, COG is perfect, flight characteristics all good!

The bad: while water taxiing, one puff of wind and the thing dumps over and becomes an inverted float plane that goes directly to the closest snag!

The better: All the electronics are high and dry in the belly when inverted, I could actually give it power and steer with the rudder

recommend: bring along a spin rod with a floating lure with hooks removed to retreive your inverted floating Champ!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
Occupying RCG
United States, MS, Ocean Springs
Joined Sep 2009
1,867 Posts
that's great, Gator!
olthump is offline Find More Posts by olthump
Old Jan 29, 2012, 02:04 PM
Not a Hoarder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
Thanks for the info, guys...

I never used the batteries that came with the plane in the TX. I knew from reading here that that was a bad idea

My issues do come at a distance, but as you know, these little planes cant be flown too far away from you as you cannot see them. I might look in to a DX5e if they are that cheap. It does feel like I am losing signal when it happens.

I held the plane in my hand around 35% throttle the other day for a few minutes and it never went out on me, so you guys might be right.

I will look around for one and let you guys know if it solves it.

Much appreciated,
Greg
As promised, here is the update:

The DX5e has completely solved my issues of the motor cutting out in mid-flight. I have flown both of my Champs a few times and have not had a single issue with the motor cutting out. My brother also bought a DX5e and has also not had a single issue with his Champ.

Previously, when using the stock TX, we would both have 2-3 cut outs per flight.

Thank you guys for giving me the suggestion! I can now fly with confidence!

Greg
gfisher99 is offline Find More Posts by gfisher99
Old Jan 29, 2012, 05:37 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
12,040 Posts
Sounds about right Greg. Glad for you. Lee
leethetreeguy is offline Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
642 Posts
Im getting a champ soon, what are some must have upgrades? i checked the first page but none of the links work. does anyone make a brushless conversion?
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
Im getting a champ soon, what are some must have upgrades? i checked the first page but none of the links work. does anyone make a brushless conversion?

Clear not the Magic Scotch tape on the wing front and back over the fuselage area extending 3". 1-1/2" wheels. Longer battery ditch towards the front, foam battery cover made from foam plate glued over the ditch so you can just slip the battery in and out and it keeps it warm in the winter.. Nanotech or Hyperion batteries. A mask to cover the big smile on your face every time you are flying it....
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
642 Posts
what size battery? any pics of the battery mod? what about brushless set up?
Hot_Wheels is offline Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,526 Posts
Quote:
what size battery? any pics of the battery mod? what about brushless set up?
160mAh batteries, I take the ditch just into the fake cowl line.. Then leaving the loop Velcro in the plane place the battery in the ditch and take your foam battery ditch cover and foam safe CA it on.. Planes out in the truck and it's late and cold so no pictures tonight.. I think I'm starting my third year of flying my #1 beater Champ, still with the original motor and it still has much more power than a real Champ does flying wise.. Actually I think it flies better than my two newer ones do.. Nothing beats a beater Champ for having fun..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:32 PM
Not a Hoarder
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
A new transmitter (if you dont have one already) so the below does not happen to you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99
Hey guys, I have two Champs. One is bone stock, one just has the P-51 motor.

I carry an 808 #16 camera on both (taken out of the case to save weight).

I have this issue with both where the motor will cut out for a second or two, then come back on. Sometimes this creates unfortunate situations, one time getting stuck in a 50 foot tree.

I dont think its LVC, as I am pretty sure when you hit LVC, you actually have to reset the throttle to zero then back up, correct? In my case, the motor comes back to life on its own.

Do you guys know what could cause this? Is it too much load on the brick, battery, or motor? I know others fly their champs with these cameras and I cannot find anyone else talking about it. I am using the stock 150mAh batteries, and it does appear to happen on all 3 that I have.

I do fly both Champs with the same TX. Not sure if that could also cause the issue.

FWIW, my brother has the same issue and his is bone stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Greg
I bought a DX5e and it solved the problem. If you have something similar already, Im sure it will work. If you are interested in Aerial video, the 808 Camera #16 is awesome. P-51 motor and as Bob said above, some 160mAh batteries. I need to try his foam cover!

Greg
gfisher99 is offline Find More Posts by gfisher99
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:09 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
A new transmitter (if you dont have one already) so the below does not happen to you:

I bought a DX5e and it solved the problem. If you have something similar already, Im sure it will work. If you are interested in Aerial video, the 808 Camera #16 is awesome. P-51 motor and as Bob said above, some 160mAh batteries. I need to try his foam cover!

Greg
I'd cross that bridge if I come to it. That said, I did have to recalibrate the sticks on my brother's Ember 2. It began having intermittent "shivery" servos. Found a thread on here that walked through the recalibration procedure, and no problems since.
TjW is online now Find More Posts by TjW
Old Jan 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
5 Posts
P-51 motor

I found two options available for the P-51 motor. The motor by itself or a motor and gears combination. Do you purchase just the motor or the motor/gears combo?

Thanks,

Miguel
Tree Finder is offline Find More Posts by Tree Finder