New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM
Find More Posts by Razer8811
United States, WI, Lone Rock
Joined May 2013
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncflyer79 View Post
Decided to do some weathering on my Walter Nowotny 109 tonight. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Looking good...

I'm hoping to have pics of my 109 up later tonight.
Razer8811 is online now Find More Posts by Razer8811
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by paladin-34
This area for rent
Vestal, NY
Joined May 2006
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
A while back, someone did a lot of testing with toe - in vs. toe - out for the gear. I remember that he found out that one position resulted in the bad ground behavior to almost disappear. I can not now find the post. Anyone know what I am speaking of?
toe in on a me109 is a misnomer. the wheels axile at 90 degrees to the strut and the strut at that angle the toe in/out changes as the attitude of the plane changes. so I set my toe-in with the stab at a zero incidence. that means as the tail comes down the toe moves to toe out. part of the reason for the me109 dance.

and easy way to stop this is to make the wheel axle parallel to the ground. then it looks funny but handles better (still a me109, but better). I'm glad FMS chose the scale position!

this plane is foam. to much toe one way or the other and the wheel will bite and track true to the wheel till the elasticity in the plastic/foam can overcome the track and snap them back. that's a lot of stress for an airplane held together by a glue that will stay pliable and relax with heat.

best off leaving it at factory settings.

Joe
paladin-34 is offline Find More Posts by paladin-34
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Razer8811
United States, WI, Lone Rock
Joined May 2013
373 Posts
Almost done... I have to clean up the canopy and I'm still waiting on my cruel magician decals from Callie. All in all I'm pretty happy with it and looking forward to getting her up in the air.
Razer8811 is online now Find More Posts by Razer8811
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by ncflyer79
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer8811 View Post
Almost done... I have to clean up the canopy and I'm still waiting on my cruel magician decals from Callie. All in all I'm pretty happy with it and looking forward to getting her up in the air.
Looks killer man! Nice job
ncflyer79 is online now Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by otherhalf2
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
A while back, someone did a lot of testing with toe - in vs. toe - out for the gear. I remember that he found out that one position resulted in the bad ground behavior to almost disappear. I can not now find the post. Anyone know what I am speaking of?
Mine looked to have some toe in so I tried it with some toe out and all it did was the splits (the wheels were being forced apart) so I think its best to try and have a negative toe i.e straight aligned.
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by Kaikokid
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
3,037 Posts
A smidge of toe in is good. Toe out is a no no.

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Today, 01:05 AM
AKA
Find More Posts by AKA
AKA
Joined Aug 2013
25 Posts
Another happy owner of this beautiful ship! Wanted to share my experience so it can help someone. Maidened her uneventfuly and made 3 flights; on the 3rd landing, which was a greaser, my right wheel came out almost at the end and found that the circlip fell apart. So I´m changing for wheel collars both of them, I fly off grass btw. Other than that I think this Bf-109 flies without bad habits, not very fast (stock) but enjoyable, compared to others that I have, like the hangar 9, kyosho, esm and cmp.
AKA is offline Find More Posts by AKA
Old Today, 03:26 AM
Find More Posts by wrongroad
Australia, NSW, Grafton
Joined Dec 2012
883 Posts
G'day AKA,
It is a good idea to replace the e clips with some better units from a bearing shop. (not from a hardware store) The ones fitted to FMS units seem to be soft and very prone to spreading when fitted or, when we pull them of with a screw driver in the e part.
I replace all e clips as a matter of course and have found the FMS units (or should I say the e clip supplied to FMS) can be brittle and snap in two or so soft that they all but go straight when you remove them.
You are so right about the model in the air...it is a gem and looks so good.
The sand camo stands out so good against our clear blue skies (normally clear blue) and the blue belly stands out nicely as well. No orientation problems here.
Regards and respect
Daryl
wrongroad is offline Find More Posts by wrongroad