SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: OK, Place your bets for fun. WILL SHE FLY?
"The force is strong with this one." 195 54.62%
"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts" 101 28.29%
"Negitive.... It just impacted on the surface" 24 6.72%
Pull up! Pull up!! Ba-da-boommmm! 37 10.36%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:01 PM
Minneapolis MN
Joined Sep 2002
1,666 Posts
Sitting on edge...
For all you naysayers, if it doesn't fly, you don't get two pics like the ones he has posted with it in two entirely different situations/positions.

Sam
FLYWINGFAN is offline Find More Posts by FLYWINGFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:10 PM
DIY user
Barcelona, Spain
Joined Jul 2004
506 Posts
I can't avoid imaging the MF screaming through the Arizona streets, in the sunset, with a couple of Tie fighters on its six!
JCaste is offline Find More Posts by JCaste
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:19 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Looking at the picture in question -- it looks like his line of sight is directly at the Falcon. However, based on the Falcon's size and how close he is to the camera, the Falcon MUST be behind him.

Now -- the real question is, is he flying the Falcon? I don't see a transmitter antenna anywhere near him... Who knows?
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:20 PM
Electric novice
SW London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
61 Posts
Reeeeaaaaally looks like a photoshopped picture.
I predict a failure

fedz
fedz is offline Find More Posts by fedz
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:32 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
I hope not. Oh, well, I wonder if Go-RC has any high power rocket motors.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:34 PM
Central Point, OR
Joined Sep 2003
252 Posts
I have to agree with fedz on this one...but it's still such a cool project!
Brycew is offline Find More Posts by Brycew
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:34 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Looking at the picture in question -- it looks like his line of sight is directly at the Falcon. However, based on the Falcon's size and how close he is to the camera, the Falcon MUST be behind him.

Now -- the real question is, is he flying the Falcon? I don't see a transmitter antenna anywhere near him... Who knows?

Well as far as the fact that the Falcon is flying behind him..... He could have been flying it towards himself and turned to the left in preparation of it flying past so he can continue to watch it... another thing is... we don't know if that is even GO-RC in that pic... he already expressed the difficulty he would have at self-launching the Falcon... that guy could be his launcher.... it's not impossible that he could have had a launcher, a photographer and himself at the site and he's off-camera somehwere..

I just hope it's all real
Akura2 is online now Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:56 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I would guess it's not photoshopped. Notice the clear fins. Thats a pretty subtle effect to reproduce in photoshop. Of course a couple stills tells us nothing about how it flew, how long it flew, or how the flight ended.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 06:58 PM
Grand Rapids Kent Cty, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2004
131 Posts
I agree. Looking at the pictures I would say that there is a very good possiblity that the guy is the launcher. Look in the first picture, he is kind of hunched over like he just gave the thing a good heave. I don't know how you could even fly bent over like that.
Tdevil is offline Find More Posts by Tdevil
Old Apr 27, 2005, 07:34 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,661 Posts
Don't think it's photoshopped. If you look at the first pick, you can se that the elevons are slightly deflected in a way as if GO-RC was counter-acting the left roll (probably torque roll). This would be very hard if not impossible in torque roll.
Rocketman1092 is offline Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:11 PM
crashin with a smile
Los Angeles Industry, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,149 Posts
Just get a video so we can see the truth. I believe you but would love to see the vid anyway
sirdirk007 is offline Find More Posts by sirdirk007
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:24 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,088 Posts
If nothing else, this has been an interesting thread! I think the best comment (that I can recall) is the waiting a few years for the next project. Very much in the spirit of the project.

I hope it flies well and repeatedly as well as long into the future.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:34 PM
Have Bluecore....will fly
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Allright the complete report

“How cool!!” One of the first comments I heard after she was airborne.

OK I couldn’t take it anymore. I had been waiting since Tuesday of last week to maiden this thing on the up coming Sunday. Of course the weather didn’t cooperate. So I figured my best chance was going to be an evening during the week. The short lull in wind just before the sun goes down my best chance. Once I got home Monday I called my buddy over to help launch and grabbed my girl friend’s son to take some pictures. We grabbed the Falcon, radio, camera and the all important tool box of anything you can imagine needed to repair the ship. On the walk to the school around the corner the wind was gusting pretty hard. While waiting for the wind after we got there I did a quick radio check and tried a few low test glides to check the CG. Well, the wind wasn’t giving up and the sun was. It was going to be dark in about 10 minutes and knowing this we begun to pack up when the wind just stopped…..

It was now or never!

Do you guys ever get nervous and your heart start beating fast when its time to maiden your new bird? I had knots. This was all just for fun but I really wanted to see her fly. There was a small group watching and I know they did too! My buddy was saying “now's the time!” “OK hold it good” I told him “I’m going to fire her up”. The calculated thrust was going to be a little over 1 to 1 so I ran up the little brushless to full throttle. Just then I felt the wind lightly blow as though it was going to start again when quickly it died. “Now or never” he said.
“OK after three” I told him.

“1…2…3...GO!!”
GO-RC is offline Find More Posts by GO-RC
Last edited by GO-RC; Oct 20, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:35 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
She pulled away quick! Right away she banked hard as the prop torque took over. I quickly added in some hard right elevon and powered down a little. At this point the up elevator I was also holding in for launch took over and the nose rose up. She went quickly vertical to about 40‘ where I got her leveled off. Roll stability was tough as she banked around to over fly us.
Last edited by GO-RC; Oct 14, 2006 at 05:27 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 08:37 PM
Arizona, United States
Joined Mar 2005
320 Posts
Still having to hold full right elevon to keep her level wasn’t allowing me to do much. So I had to power her down. Slowly dropping the power she started to glide down in a nice wide spiral. As it came down she made a really soft landing as if on the Cloud City landing platform. No damage taken!
Wow! Time to take a breath and let my heart slow back down!
Last edited by GO-RC; Apr 28, 2005 at 02:20 AM.