SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 30, 2014, 10:51 AM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
Discussion
Dumas heritage 12 meter kit

Maybe I should think about starting this kit. Does anyone know if they still use these sailboats. First I better clean it and do some thinking about building. Anyone have one? Any tips on building? Were they good sailors? Thanks Ron
darticus is offline Find More Posts by darticus
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:13 AM
Portland Oregon
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Apr 2014
110 Posts
Greetings,

As to weather on not any one uses these boats anymore, who cars what a beautiful boat! I would love to own something like that to bad they don't make the hull any more. Go for it and enjoy it on the pond.

Andre
Andre Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Andre Anderson
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:24 AM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
SO BIG! I think I'm going to build as a joke and display it. I like to sail smaller sailboats but this is far out. It would look cool. Guess I better build to fit in the Jeep easily! Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Anderson View Post
Greetings,

As to weather on not any one uses these boats anymore, who cars what a beautiful boat! I would love to own something like that to bad they don't make the hull any more. Go for it and enjoy it on the pond.

Andre
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Darticus, I think you might be right, if memory serves me correct, two buddies of mine had this Dumas sail boat and it did not sail worth a dam, the rudder is way to small, to scale like! It needed tobe either a bigger barn door spade type or a total spade type rudder further back from the keel! It also suffers from what they thought was the wrong cut in sails, again to scale like, it would nose dive into the water, it didn't like light winds and it sure didn't like heavy winds! People do sail them successfully, you might serch here and ask what they have done todo so. You might have to get a hold of a sail maker like Art Carr sails and see if he has a better set of sail that address the nose diving effect. I really don't know, somtime model boat makers don't really fully test their products enough before unleashing them! My 2 cents worth anyway.
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Look up EC12- I believe these used to fit into the class rule. Lots of info out there. EC12s sail very well.

(Sail maker is Rod Carr - carrsails.com - he knows a lot about the EC12)
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:53 PM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
Thanks all for the input. I think I'm gonna build it if I can get past the deck to hull install part without quitting. The worst thing that can happen is I cut it down the middle of the hull length wise and mount it as a half ship on a wall with sails standing tall. I'm gonna need help with suggestion for mounting the deck to the hull. Thanks Ron
Old Aug 30, 2014, 02:57 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
please do your research before you start- joining the hull and deck is not that big of a deal relatively speaking.

It's your boat but I think it would be a shame to make a half hull of it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:10 PM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
I really don't think it will be a half hull. Ron
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:16 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darticus View Post
I really don't think it will be a half hull. Ron
Good to hear-

What part of the world are you in? there are EC12 fleets scattered around and most have enthusiastic and helpful builders who might lend a hand to your project.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 05:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
I'm in New Jersey USA. Someone should have some advice but if I follow the directions I should be fine. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Good to hear-

What part of the world are you in? there are EC12 fleets scattered around and most have enthusiastic and helpful builders who might lend a hand to your project.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2012
37 Posts
Oh, my mastake Rod Carr, I should have cought that, I have bought several sets of sails from him.
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
Old Sep 01, 2014, 10:40 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
12 meters sail very well, and this being a full keel boat is about the best for weedy lakes. I have two of these hulls wating for schooner conversions, as I already have a couple of 54" boats that use the same EC12 rig. It was my understanding that as the EC12 class evolved, the width of the keel on the Heritage 12 made it obsolete. Although grandfathered in the official class, the hulls are not as competitive as other current designs.
Now, if you sail for fun, they are big beautiful boats. And yes, lots can be learned from all the documented EC12 building sites on the net. Built right out of the box should be fine, but upgrading mast and sails isn't a bad idea. Dumas kits included a two piece wood mast and single panel sails. Also, if you have a complete kit, including all the original Fisher brass rigging hardware, it makes a great 'vintage' looking boat.

Dave (bigger is always better)
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Sep 02, 2014, 06:58 PM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
Very nice pics and great info.
I installed the deck to the hull yesterday let it set up and its looking good. Looking through the manual it looks like I didn't get the 2 single eye stay plates. I don' think the company will help with a 40 year old kit. It looks so far that I'll need Dacron line for it and stay plates. I think the rest of the kit I have. I don't even know where I can get the extra parts I need. If I new what the stay plates looked like maybe I could make them. The old manuals have mostly hand draw pics so not to much detail. Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
12 meters sail very well, and this being a full keel boat is about the best for weedy lakes. I have two of these hulls wating for schooner conversions, as I already have a couple of 54" boats that use the same EC12 rig. It was my understanding that as the EC12 class evolved, the width of the keel on the Heritage 12 made it obsolete. Although grandfathered in the official class, the hulls are not as competitive as other current designs.
Now, if you sail for fun, they are big beautiful boats. And yes, lots can be learned from all the documented EC12 building sites on the net. Built right out of the box should be fine, but upgrading mast and sails isn't a bad idea. Dumas kits included a two piece wood mast and single panel sails. Also, if you have a complete kit, including all the original Fisher brass rigging hardware, it makes a great 'vintage' looking boat.

Dave (bigger is always better)
Old Sep 08, 2014, 12:09 PM
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
705 Posts
The good part is that EC12 construction is fully documented at www.ec12.info. Now for the bad part. If your boat was AMYA registered with a sail number, you would have been grandfathered into the class. As of 1995, any unregistered Dumas boat does not meet the class specifications. Dumas was offered the opportunity to become a class approved vendor but declined.

What does this mean for you? Well, the Dumas boat is a very good sailor and you should enjoy it for the experience. You just won't be able to race competitively with it at either the national or regional level. The club level is a different story. Since you live in NJ, the closest club is the Mid Atlantic MYC. www.mamyc.com.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Last edited by Mike Denest; Sep 08, 2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2007
902 Posts
Just opened the kit so I guess I'm out of the club! If I can't play I'll just have to sail without the big boys. When they ask how did I get my boat to sail so well I'll just say I can't play so its a secret! Its a nice anchor if nothing else! Ron