HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
........Hard to tell as the difference in speed (compared to the sbach) is due to the drag on the airframe. I'm guessing that top speed would be different depending on your flying site elevation (MSL) and the temp and humidity of that day. Also it would vary greatly based on the quality of the pack used.

A good guess would be about 30-35 mph though.

-Brian
Mid-30s with a stout pack at lower elevations sounds about right to me. With the 2300Kv/5043 combo & a healthy Hyp 240 2s pack, my Beast 3D is visibly faster than, say, the UM Sukhoi XP or UMX CC, but visibly slower than the Sbach. Elevations where I typically fly range from 910' to 1070' AMSL.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:13 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Mid-30s with a stout pack at lower elevations sounds about right to me. With the 2300Kv/5043 combo & a healthy Hyp 240 2s pack, my Beast 3D is visibly faster than, say, the UM Sukhoi XP or UMX CC, but visibly slower than the Sbach. Elevations where I typically fly range from 910' to 1070' AMSL.

Joel
I think I'm at around 130' . I would have guessed 25-30 ... maybe I'm a little low. thanks guys.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:15 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
I think I'm at around 130' . I would have guessed 25-30 ... maybe I'm a little low. thanks guys.
130 ft above sea level in Florida ???? Are you flying from the top of a three story house?

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Nov 06, 2013, 01:18 PM
Joined May 2012
9,516 Posts
Just going by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport,_Florida

It's actually a little bit hilly in my area! Weird, huh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2013, 03:36 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Just going by this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport,_Florida

It's actually a little bit hilly in my area! Weird, huh?
I thought maybe you were standing on your toes on the roof of City Hall, but I guess I was mistaken:

http://market.weogeo.com/datasets/to...enport_fl.html
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Nov 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
Newbie,3D Wannabe :)
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Feb 2011
109 Posts
just got one yesterday maden flight to be soon waiting for the weather to clear up....will be running 2s 300 mah 65c! pack.
Skywalker14 is offline Find More Posts by Skywalker14
Old Nov 09, 2013, 08:50 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker14 View Post
just got one yesterday maden flight to be soon waiting for the weather to clear up....will be running 2s 300 mah 65c! pack.
Here is mine on the stock 200 2S.

UMX HABU unplugged video (2 min 37 sec)

Regards,

Eric.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 09, 2013, 09:01 PM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
Here is mine on the stock 200 2S.

http://youtu.be/a6KJCKTtpyI

Regards,

Eric.
Lol that's your maiden? Normally I'm slow and steady till I get her trimmed and have checked the flight envelope and characteristics. I guess full throttle works too Nice vid.
CnadianFF is offline Find More Posts by CnadianFF
Old Nov 09, 2013, 11:33 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2005
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CnadianFF View Post
Lol that's your maiden? Normally I'm slow and steady till I get her trimmed and have checked the flight envelope and characteristics. I guess full throttle works too Nice vid.
After 41 years of RC flying, I find that they either fly or they don't. In the case of the UMX Habu 180 DF it has AS3X, and it is amazing how solid this makes a tiny airplane feel.

That being said, you almost immediately get stick-confidence above and beyond the time you have been flying this airplane. You also can quickly feel you have been flying this aircraft for quite a while.

I would add that I had some side-bar fun in that I had an original HABU and my old HABU-2 in attendance. The ARF EDF's fly great for me and the Micro EDF Habu was just as good if not a bit more nimble.

A pet peeve of mine is that manufacturers produce videos of their stuff being flown by real experts. So I go out and see if it can be done by us mortals. A classic was the UM T-28 doing all sorts of inverted stuff. Turned out that the T-28 could do all that the video claimed.

Based upon what I experienced, the UMX Habu can really do it all as well.

E.
Eric Henderson is online now Find More Posts by Eric Henderson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mental hang-nails
Old Nov 10, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined May 2012
9,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Henderson View Post
After 41 years of RC flying, I find that they either fly or they don't. In the case of the UMX Habu 180 DF it has AS3X, and it is amazing how solid this makes a tiny airplane feel.

That being said, you almost immediately get stick-confidence above and beyond the time you have been flying this airplane. You also can quickly feel you have been flying this aircraft for quite a while.

I would add that I had some side-bar fun in that I had an original HABU and my old HABU-2 in attendance. The ARF EDF's fly great for me and the Micro EDF Habu was just as good if not a bit more nimble.

A pet peeve of mine is that manufacturers produce videos of their stuff being flown by real experts. So I go out and see if it can be done by us mortals. A classic was the UM T-28 doing all sorts of inverted stuff. Turned out that the T-28 could do all that the video claimed.

Based upon what I experienced, the UMX Habu can really do it all as well.

E.
I agree, if it's a mfg'ed plane then it'll fly , or it won't. Scratchbuilds are kind of a different story......

Also, your claim about experts flying is why I watch ChuckTSeeker's videos. He does a fantastic job of what the everyday Joe can expect from a plane.

Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2013, 01:51 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,793 Posts
Yup.
Chuck's videos are a better insight into what us mere mortals can expect from a plane!

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
First off: Yes, the umx habu would be an excellent first edf. Relatively durable and has a wide speed range.

As far as your situation.... I'd be hesitant to jump straight from the UM T-28 to the Habu. The speed range of the habu is probably 10mph-50mph. The UM T-28 can fly quite comfortably at 3-4mph, and tops out about 15-18mph. Basically a HUGE difference. Combine that with the lack of propwash and the low static thrust of EDFs and it is a recipe for getting behind the plane and on an EDF that is bad news.

The important thing to remember is you are no longer using the throttle for power/speed. You have to learn to use the planes energy. Trading altitude for speed or speed for altitude. Obviously the throttle is important but learning to manage energy is extremely important. Tight turns also drain energy, so make the turns smooth.

It can be done however I'd make sure you take it to a really large open area and keep that speed up. Don't try to slow fly like the T-28, keep it flying on the wing. Also fly it on low rates. Even on low rates it is extremely responsive, MUCH more-so than the T-28. The benefit is that on low rates you shouldn't have to worry about highspeed stalls from to much elevator.

-Brian
I agree. I know for me what helped was that for one thing we fly combat wings which are high speed yank and back planes so going from a 80 MPH wing to and edf was a smooth transition. I also know that I have spent extensive time on the simulator getting used to the take off, flight , and landing characteristics of an edf versus a prop plane so that helps too.
I love flying the baby Habu but it did get some getting used to a jet.
foamyflyerr is offline Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Nov 10, 2013, 09:55 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Max wind

Around what's wind speed can UM Hau handle 10, 15 and 20 mph?
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Nov 10, 2013, 10:19 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2004
563 Posts
Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Around what's wind speed can UM Hau handle 10, 15 and 20 mph?
...it's not the Habu, it's you!
heli-headcase is offline Find More Posts by heli-headcase
Old Nov 11, 2013, 12:03 AM
Newbie,3D Wannabe :)
United States, NJ, Somerset
Joined Feb 2011
109 Posts
should have about eight to ten Mph winds tomorrow I'll maiden my tomorrow on stock lipo and 300mah 65c pack....reinforced horizontal stab with 1mm carbon rod.
Skywalker14 is offline Find More Posts by Skywalker14